Lets Talk Science

Status
Not open for further replies.
Btw, I was planning on taking a class that meets certain criteria for credit, so I won't be taking it for the sake of argument with a professor. This class will be offered next semester. My coworker recommended it for me since we both take classes from the U. I sometimes ask around to see if there is a way to meet required credit without wasting my time on classes that aren't interesting but have to be taken.
cool which class?

Yes this isn't a religious thread, but I would grill you and cook you well done wallahi. You are totally wrong and my fingers are itching to reply!!!

Help yourself bro. I don't mind discussing Islam if the person engaging the conversation about it knows what they are talking about. I don't think you do, so let us not waste time on it. Stick to what you can have a say on factually, or you can formulate a guess on.

Last edited:
History of Science. They have I&II for it. I only need one for four credit requirement. I will skip the basic one and go for the advanced if they allow me. Whatever my coworker took anyway,
Nice dude , I love your passionate stance toward scientific history along with science as a whole.I remember a few years back I was reading a book about Islamic sciences.It was awesome and it detailed ibn haythem ,al Khwarizmi etc scientific discoveries.The former I believe was a genius , type newton, he often linked towards a lot of interesting concepts and built the foundation of science.Even hinted to Newtons third law.

All my units are full due to my double degree , unfortunately, and thus can just occasionally read about the beauty of geniuses lives.However I get to sometimes enjoy reliving it through my equations.

Help yourself bro. I don't mind discussing Islam if the person engaging the conversation about it knows what they are talking about. I don't think you do, so let us not waste time on it. Stick to what you can have a say on factually, or you can formulate a guess on.
Unfortunently Dr Osmans arguments are laced with deadly concoctions of both contradiction and expansiveness.Its impossible to argue against arguments which simly spiral out of control.

Nice dude , I love your passionate stance toward scientific history along with science as a whole.I remember a few years back I was reading a book about Islamic sciences.It was awesome and it detailed ibn haythem ,al Khwarizmi etc scientific discoveries.The former I believe was a genius , type newton, he often linked towards a lot of interesting concepts and built the foundation of science.Even hinted to Newtons third law.

All my units are full due to my double degree , unfortunately, and thus can just occasionally read about the beauty of geniuses lives.However I get to sometimes enjoy reliving it through my equations.

History of science gives a perspective that goes beyond the front end of science and math. The story of men and women behind the beauty of science, their struggles, their failures, their strengths and weaknesses etc. Makes a good read or documentary.

I like these sorts of history a lot. I remember googling "the mathematicians who committed suicide" after I watched the movie "The Imitation Game" which is loosely based on the biography of the British code breaker and computer scientist of the ww2 era, the mathematician who argued machines can think like humans(prediction of AI). Alan Turin.

You learn a lot by reading and watching historical scientific documentaries. I bought a book once on a whim years earlier and learned from it how physics greats contributed to the making of the US atomic Bomb. Men like Niels Bohr(whose atomic structure theory I took in middle school chemistry), Enrico Fermi and John Von Neumann, who all came to the US to help build the Bomb much to the disagreement of Einstein who also came to the US as a refugee from Germany.

Good luck with your school work.

Last edited:
Unfortunently Dr Osmans arguments are laced with deadly concoctions of both contradiction and expansiveness.Its impossible to argue against arguments which simly spiral out of control.

I am not sure the faith status of Dr Osman, and I don't consider that to be important, but I sensed that attitude of "Blaming Islam for Anything is cool" mindset common among Somali guys online who claim to be atheists.

And most of these guys are just ignorant losers with no quality. So, I get incensed by the repetitive nature and monotony of their useless arguments.

That is why I think it is better not to engage with them about Islam at all. I prefer people who are comfortable in their own choices and mind their business. Arguing based on Ignorance is uncivilized.

Nalle

🥰🥰🥰
Do you fix your car problems when they are minor? Can you/Do you do basic maintenance? Like Coolant level checks, Oil level, Replace windshield wipers, tire pressure, tire replacement, brake oil level? Those are big money saving maintenance you can do and prevent a major damage to your car. Something nice about a female who gets grease on her hands. Really cool :)

I wish Somali females to become pro active in their daily life issues like this and don't rely on their male relatives often. The young women in particular. I am impressed.

The funny thing is I was afraid of cars before I bought this qaraab car, I hate the idea of not knowing what I'm using, this eventually led me to investigate the basics of how a car functions with the intention of not getting into an accident or standing on the highway with a broken car.
I can do the basic, yes, I haven't replaced windshield wipers thou and I'll try to do the tire replacement when changing to summer tires.
I'm literally the farsame-yaqaan(next after my mom)of the house, everytime my aunt needs someone to fix her stuff, I'm the first one she calls, she doesn't even trust her man, she literally tells him that can't follow instructions and it is better for him to be in the kitchen, let's call Nalle for help before everything gets ruined, :drakelaugh:I have had a finger in every pie as they say when it comes to assembling a lot of things in the house. Assembling IKEA furniture is the best thing ever, I don't get how people find it hard:ahh:

I found the answer to this question on a website. But to understand their solution, I had to find a parts -of - tree image to follow the suggested solution.

Parts-of-Tree-Image.gif

In Quotes:

"Step One: Area(in square feet) beneath the crown X 4 = Estimate of a total leaf surface area of the tree in square feet.
Step Two: Estimate how many individual leaves it would take to cover one square foot.
Step Three: Multiply that result by the total leaf surface, which gives you an approximation of the number of leaves on that tree

Examples:

Example 1: the sweetgum in my front yard has a crown 30 feet wide. The area under it is approximately 700 square feet. Multiplied by 4, I see that the tree has 2,800 square feet of leaf area. I’ll guess that 8 sweetgum leaves would cover one square foot. Multiplying 8 times 2,800 reveals that the tree has close to 22,400 leaves.

Example 2: A big oak tree might have a crown 50 feet wide. In that case, one could estimate the tree has 63,000 leaves. Necessarily, this is a rough guess because the crown shape of the tree is not taken into account (some trees are dome-shaped, some are tall and narrow, etc). However, this quick math should give you something to think about as you rake the last of the leaves from your lawn this week.

sugar-maple-500x375.jpg

" End of Quotes.

http://www.walterreeves.com/gardening-q-and-a/tree-leaves-calculating-the-number/
Now that was a really interesting way to calculate the leaves of a tree:ohhh:
HeyI come to think of the other day I was wondering if the seasonal air quality changes during winter, especially in the northern hemisphere, isnät the air quality bad during autumn/winter considering there are not that many leaves around?Or does the Amazonian rainforest makeup for it?
I always get bad during winter, I really do think the problem is the air, my throat gets dry and particles get stuck in there. I don't know how to explain it, but I can really feel it, I know it sounds weird but I can suddenly start choking when I go outside and inhale deeply, I always have water with me in case I get attacked by the air. :mjcry:
I never have this issue during spring and summer. ( well I only suffer from pollen allergy during spring, but otherwise, it is all good)
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Well as for the stars I think they measured the space in each galaxy and estimated with this amount of space you fit this many stars. Obviously they need to know the star size itself and some are smaller and bigger, so it would be an estimate or an averaging process is what I think, Just like you measure a square and find out the area thru width x length you know how much area is in the square now. So u can estimate how many circles u can fit in there by knowing the circle sizes and if they are different sizes the circles I guess u need to figure out a way to average it out between big and small and come with an answer at the end that is an 'average' of the two and say 'here u go' but it is clearly estimation.

As for the weight of the earth, I am not sure but could they weigh one part of the earth the lightest area and since they know the area of the earth do the same thing with the heaviest part of the earth and average it out across the whole area of the earth which they should already know cause we can measure a circle and a sphere which wouldn't be all that different to a circle. Circumference and horizontal and vertical lines then you can break that further into 'pies' like a cake. If u can do with a cake that is a sphere shape, you can do with any matter that has that shape.

This process would not be 100% accurate but it's conservative approach. I guess

Isn't it quite "impossible" to get the weight of the earth in ton, kilo, gram? I think it is more appropriate to say the mass of the earth, since getting the exact weight of the earth is still a utopia.
As for the mass of the earth,Newtonäs law of gravitation says that a thing attracts another thing with a gravitational force which is proportional to its mass. And as you mentioned the two objects must be spherical in order to calculate the mass, you use the famous formula: F=GmM/r^2 . I think you already know this, I might have misunderstood your question thou.

And btw look up Cavendish experiment, and the issue with the big G, it is quite interesting. Despite the fact that many experiments have been performed for the past hundred years since Cavendish's laboratory determination of the gravitational constant G, the knowledge of G is comparatively poor, especially if one compares it to how far we have analyzed Planck's constant for instance, or other units.. Many scientists are trying to measure it, and the uncertainty of this unit is increasing rather than decreasing.

Read this two articles;
https://www.nist.gov/news-events/news/2014/10/trouble-capital-g
https://www.nist.gov/news-events/news/2016/11/big-g-redux-solving-mystery-perplexing-result

btw, you and me and everything on earth is included in that weight estimate because we are made of the same thing earth is made of except we have different forms and shapes(trees, cars, sea etc), so the weight is not only earth by itself but with everything on it included.
This is really fascinating wallhi, thinking of every single thing, human(and animal) beings that have lived on this earth is counted in the mass, even the deceased ones. we are all just a bunch of molecules getting recycled, one would think that the increase of population would mean the earth having heavier mass but that's not the case.
Makes sense when Ilahay will bring out all the living things from the graveyards, even when they have technically "disappeared, vanished", they are all still there.

Earth weighs 6 000 000 000 000 000 000 Kg. That is 6 septillion Kilo Grams of Weight.
:ahh: Septillion, how good doesn't that sound saying it:banderas:
Let's see how many zeros we'll get if we convert it into grams.
6 000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000. grams. That is basically billion billion billion grams of weight, damn it is so hard to comprehend. 6 octillion grams.
(in swedish it is kvadriljard, we use the long scale of the number naming system, it took me some time to get it right lol, septillion is 10^42 in the long scale and that is definitely not the right weight )

Damn guys, you have discussed so many things. Great to see the thread didnät die despite people going back to schools and whatnot. Me ish proud with chu. Keep discussing and enlightening the world, and as Carl Sagan said; "There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand the world. There is no such thing as a dumb question":kendrickcry: @DR OSMAN you seem to be interested in space and astronomy, have you read Carl Sagan's Cosmos?

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
The funny thing is I was afraid of cars before I bought this qaraab car, I hate the idea of not knowing what I'm using, this eventually led me to investigate the basics of how a car functions with the intention of not getting into an accident or standing on the highway with a broken car.
I can do the basic, yes, I haven't replaced windshield wipers thou and I'll try to do the tire replacement when changing to summer tires.
I'm literally the farsame-yaqaan(next after my mom)of the house, everytime my aunt needs someone to fix her stuff, I'm the first one she calls, she doesn't even trust her man, she literally tells him that can't follow instructions and it is better for him to be in the kitchen, let's call Nalle for help before everything gets ruined, :drakelaugh:I have had a finger in every pie as they say when it comes to assembling a lot of things in the house. Assembling IKEA furniture is the best thing ever, I don't get how people find it hard:ahh:

HeyI come to think of the other day I was wondering if the seasonal air quality changes during winter, especially in the northern hemisphere, isnät the air quality bad during autumn/winter considering there are not that many leaves around?Or does the Amazonian rainforest makeup for it?
I always get bad during winter, I really do think the problem is the air, my throat gets dry and particles get stuck in there. I don't know how to explain it, but I can really feel it, I know it sounds weird but I can suddenly start choking when I go outside and inhale deeply, I always have water with me in case I get attacked by the air. :mjcry:
I never have this issue during spring and summer. ( well I only suffer from pollen allergy during spring, but otherwise, it is all good)

Isn't it quite "impossible" to get the weight of the earth in ton, kilo, gram? I think it is more appropriate to say the mass of the earth, since getting the exact weight of the earth is still a utopia.
As for the mass of the earth,Newtonäs law of gravitation says that a thing attracts another thing with a gravitational force which is proportional to its mass. And as you mentioned the two objects must be spherical in order to calculate the mass, you use the famous formula: F=GmM/r^2 . I think you already know this, I might have misunderstood your question thou.

And btw look up Cavendish experiment, and the issue with the big G, it is quite interesting. Despite the fact that many experiments have been performed for the past hundred years since Cavendish's laboratory determination of the gravitational constant G, the knowledge of G is comparatively poor, especially if one compares it to how far we have analyzed Planck's constant for instance, or other units.. Many scientists are trying to measure it, and the uncertainty of this unit is increasing rather than decreasing.

Read this two articles;
https://www.nist.gov/news-events/news/2016/11/big-g-redux-solving-mystery-perplexing-result

This is really fascinating wallhi, thinking of every single thing, human(and animal) beings that have lived on this earth is counted in the mass, even the deceased ones. we are all just a bunch of molecules getting recycled, one would think that the increase of population would mean the earth having heavier mass but that's not the case.
Makes sense when Ilahay will bring out all the living things from the graveyards, even when they have technically "disappeared, vanished", they are all still there.

6 000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000. grams. That is basically billion billion billion grams of weight, damn it is so hard to comprehend. 6 octillion grams.
(in swedish it is kvadriljard, we use the long scale of the number naming system, it took me some time to get it right lol, septillion is 10^42 in the long scale and that is definitely not the right weight )

Damn guys, you have discussed so many things. Great to see the thread didnät die despite people going back to schools and whatnot. Me ish proud with chu. Keep discussing and enlightening the world, and as Carl Sagan said; "There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand the world. There is no such thing as a dumb question":kendrickcry: @DR OSMAN you seem to be interested in space and astronomy, have you read Carl Sagan's Cosmos?

@Nalle definitely one my favorite contributors. I was in another thread talking about this brachiostrome circle the red one. One of the guys in there said he will probably need to a 3 page simple math explanation for it. We are talking a damn bended curve, one small aspect of the world among shapes and only 1 type of shape a bended curve. 3 Pages just for that, you can imagine what gravity would like. 100 pages!!!

Brachistochrone.gif

Read this two articles;

Newtons view of space has been "disproven" to an extent. Its not then suprising his constant which he simply placed for convience is showing signs of error.

@Nalle definitely one my favorite contributors. I was in another thread talking about this brachiostrome circle the red one. One of the guys in there said he will probably need to a 3 page simple math explanation for it. We are talking a damn bended curve, one small aspect of the world among shapes and only 1 type of shape a bended curve. 3 Pages just for that, you can imagine what gravity would like. 100 pages!!!

Brachistochrone.gif
Well the solution of this using calculus is hard to explain , I think they are other more innovative solutions.To describe the curve or anything one must know how to get to the curve, that said this curve was made for fun.Try learning about stokes theorem , much more interesting.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Newtons view of space has been "disproven" to an extent. Its not then suprising his constant which he simply placed for convience is showing signs of error.

Well the solution of this using calculus is hard to explain , I think they are other more innovative solutions.To describe the curve or anything one must know how to get to the curve, that said this curve was made for fun.Try learning about stokes theorem , much more interesting.

Oh so you meant how do you make a curve in the first place? Am I correct. Cause I am not sure what else you could mean to get to the curve.

Oh so you meant how do you make a curve in the first place? Am I correct. Cause I am not sure what else you could mean to get to the curve.
Ye to get the curve its not easy, after all anyone can be taught about a fish and its characteristics.You might be mesmirised by said fish but its much more interesting to know how to find the fish in the first place

Read this two articles;

Damn guys, you have discussed so many things. Great to see the thread didnät die despite people going back to schools and whatnot. Me ish proud with chu. Keep discussing and enlightening the world, and as Carl Sagan said; "There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand the world. There is no such thing as a dumb question" @DR OSMAN you seem to be interested in space and astronomy, have you read Carl Sagan's Cosmos?

Damn! you are beyond cool for your car interests. Do you mind taking a brand new mustang for a ride? And then we can check under the hood and what that monster holds there lol? We can go over the entire engine piece by piece... This reminds me a cute scene from the Transformers .... Something really cool about women who know about cars(even basic lol).

Speaking of Ikea furniture, the word spreads to the neighborhood and everybody wants their Ikea furniture assembled for them. You can't imagine how many times they dragged me over to the neighbors after work to assemble stuff. My neighbor who got married recently and who has adult teens wanted her bedroom locker changed to one that locks from inside, and guess who had to do it? Me :kendrickcry:

Nalle, you are so cool, am totally impressed sis. Will comment some more before your next return.

Last edited:

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Since the moon is a big topic lately and it's turning blue. I have been wondering about the rotation and orbit questions. The sun and moon appear to be big and small have u noticed? sometimes it damn huge and sometimes it looks like it's further away in distance when you observe it. What can cause this?

Also in terms of the moon and it's light source, now I doubt the moon is a sun because if it was, at the distance it is to us, you would think it's light would make it day-time and there would be no night time. I guess you could work out the size of the moon and how much energy it can store and compare it to the impact it would have on the earth.

The current theory in my view, I haven't read it though, is the sun must being hitting it's light on the earth and since the earth is round and half the earth is in darkness, some light escapes and then reflects of the moon giving it that 'lamp' style lighting which is what someone on the other side of the world sees when it's night-time. Is this correct?

I have also noticed the moon is strange cause even when u see in day-time, it clearly has no energy source and looks like a normal planet, you see no 'light rays' coming out of it. Please remember light needs an energy source, look at a fire you need fire first (energy) for it to emit 'light or warmth'. So I can accept the sun must be a firey place in order for us to get 'warmth and light'. I won't accept that for the moon though based on the above characteristic I noted.

Now the other point I find interesting is, the sun distance to the earth apparently is fixed, it rarely moves and is the center of our solar system(heaps of planets are dependent on it), if this is the case and our earth is rotating on itself and it's axis, regardless what rotation the earth does, the distance of the sun should be the same at all rotation points unless of course that is just used to explain day/night, that won't answer any question about why the sun is huge at some points of the day and smaller and more distance away at other parts of the day.

The earth does it actually get closer to the sun in it's orbit? I was of the opinion the orbit of the earth around the sun was 'fixed' and followed the same pattern and path to an exact precision and it doesn't get closer or further away but is always revolving around the sun at the same distance. This can't explain why the sun looks massive and closer to us and further away at different parts of the day. We need to get the science boys and girls to come in and answer this anomaly!!!

PS: Don't get carried away flat earthers, I haven't joined your silly camp!!!! But as rational people do, we criticize our own views also and test it, unlike you nut-cases.

Since the moon is a big topic lately and it's turning blue. I have been wondering about the rotation and orbit questions. The sun and moon appear to be big and small have u noticed? sometimes it damn huge and sometimes it looks like it's further away in distance when you observe it. What can cause this?

Also in terms of the moon and it's light source, now I doubt the moon is a sun because if it was, at the distance it is to us, you would think it's light would make it day-time and there would be no night time. I guess you could work out the size of the moon and how much energy it can store and compare it to the impact it would have on the earth.

The current theory in my view, I haven't read it though, is the sun must being hitting it's light on the earth and since the earth is round and half the earth is in darkness, some light escapes and then reflects of the moon giving it that 'lamp' style lighting which is what someone on the other side of the world sees when it's night-time. Is this correct?

I have also noticed the moon is strange cause even when u see in day-time, it clearly has no energy source and looks like a normal planet, you see no 'light rays' coming out of it. Please remember light needs an energy source, look at a fire you need fire first (energy) for it to emit 'light or warmth'. So I can accept the sun must be a firey place in order for us to get 'warmth and light'. I won't accept that for the moon though based on the above characteristic I noted.

Now the other point I find interesting is, the sun distance to the earth apparently is fixed, it rarely moves and is the center of our solar system(heaps of planets are dependent on it), if this is the case and our earth is rotating on itself and it's axis, regardless what rotation the earth does, the distance of the sun should be the same at all rotation points unless of course that is just used to explain day/night, that won't answer any question about why the sun is huge at some points of the day and smaller and more distance away at other parts of the day.

The earth does it actually get closer to the sun in it's orbit? I was of the opinion the orbit of the earth around the sun was 'fixed' and followed the same pattern and path to an exact precision and it doesn't get closer or further away but is always revolving around the sun at the same distance. This can't explain why the sun looks massive and closer to us and further away at different parts of the day. We need to get the science boys and girls to come in and answer this anomaly!!!

PS: Don't get carried away flat earthers, I haven't joined your silly camp!!!! But as rational people do, we criticize our own views also and test it, unlike you nut-cases.
I'll answer one of your questions , the moon reflects the light from the sun onto the earth.Making it look like it is genersting electromagnetic waves. That said the moon does produce light just not in the visible spectrum.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
I'll answer one of your questions , the moon reflects the light from the sun onto the earth.Making it look like it is genersting electromagnetic waves. That said the moon does produce light just not in the visible spectrum.

Interesting Cangeero, how is that possible if that light isn't seen during the day also? surely the light can't disappear and re-appear like magic, could you elaborate further!!!

Interesting Cangeero, how is that possible if that light isn't seen during the day also? surely the light can't disappear and re-appear like magic, could you elaborate further!!!
It's just "washed " out by other light.Intensity of one light overpowers our views, obviously using quantitive methods we can "see" all the light.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
It's just "washed " out by other light.Intensity of one light overpowers our views, obviously using quantitive methods we can "see" all the light.

That's like saying the earth has it's own light if your from another planet by observation due to it shining brightly when viewed from other planet position, but we know as hell there is no light the earth generates? is there scientific facts behind this?

Example I am at Mars, I get telescope and view earth and I see earth 'bright as day', I would need to assume the earth has it's own light source when I know we have no light source on earth. That's why I assumed the moon is taking the light from another source (the sun) and why it's shining like the earth is since it takes it's light from another source the sun and why it shines. This however doesn't mean and shouldn't be confused with the earth or moon being the origin of it's own light source.

Lets discuss this logically brother. To be the origin of your own light source you need a-lot of energy and I mean a-lot, you would need billions of fires going at the same time to light up the earth on our own. I would assume this is the case with the moon, since clearly no huge amount of light other then 'reflectory' light like the earth has reflectory light is being observed where-as with the sun u see it burning from the exterior.

Last edited:
That's like saying the earth has it's own light if your from another planet by observation due to it shining brightly when viewed from other planet position, but we know as hell there is no light the earth generates? is there scientific facts behind this?

Example I am at Mars, I get telescope and view earth and I see earth 'bright as day', I would need to assume the earth has it's own light source when I know we have no light source on earth. That's why I assumed the moon is taking the light from another source (the sun) and why it's shining like the earth is since it takes it's light from another source the sun and why it shines. This however doesn't mean and shouldn't be confused with the earth or moon being the origin of it's own light source.

Lets discuss this logically brother. To be the origin of your own light source you need a-lot of energy and I mean a-lot, you would need billions of fires going at the same time to light up the earth on our own. I would assume this is the case with the moon, since clearly no huge amount of light other then 'reflectory' light like the earth has reflectory light is being observed where-as with the sun u see it burning from the exterior.
Light is caused by moving particles which induce Waves which leads to light.Light is extremely hard to explain without beginning to enter quantum physics but to keep it simple assume it's a wave. Earth has an "energy" source which gives off light.Just like the moon as it's not at absolute temperature particles are moving and hence produce light.The only thing which doesn't produce light is a black hole(excluding it uncharged particles )

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Light is caused by moving particles which induce Waves which leads to light.Light is extremely hard to explain without beginning to enter quantum physics but to keep it simple assume it's a wave. Earth has an "energy" source which gives off light.Just like the moon as it's not at absolute temperature particles are moving and hence produce light.The only thing which doesn't produce light is a black hole(excluding it uncharged particles )

So your telling me the earth and moon would shine with no sun relying on it's own 'energy'? I am not sure I can honestly buy that!!! Light has a source, take away all the stars and there is no light!!! If every sun and star was removed right now, you would see an end to light, so it's clear they are the source and not 'planets or moons'!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending