Lets Talk Science

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overhyped , mars would the worst place to start a civilisaion.It would be more beneficial to go to moons of Saturn or other planets such as Jupiter.Sure it would take long and be hella expensive but Titan can be morphed easily to suit our needs.

There is nothing similar to our earth in our galaxy. Mars which is closely associated with the Earth, but drastically different when it comes to weather. In summer, average temperature is about 35 C on mars but extremely cold in winter and averages -45 C to -143 C. The Carbon Dioxide freezes over and falls as ice on its surface during the cold weather according to NASA observations.

The observations they made on human health in space has shown bad results. Three major health problems were observed in Astronauts who spent longer periods in space. Bone and Muscle deterioration is one of them. Vision problems and Body fluid shifting to the upper body and causing a cascading effects on eyes, creating nasal congestion, swollen faces throughout the space work-duration(months) and brain shift were the rest.

I am guessing from these observations in space, going to Mars which has thin atmosphere with CO2 being the main gas in Mar's Air, its gravity being 2.66 times less than Earth's with that extreme weather, best use for it will be a dumping ground for what Earthlings could not recycle lol. Assuming the technology for travel within reasonable time to Mars and back from it becomes available.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Back to the gravity topic. I just saw a leaf drop and a small lemon drop at the same time, they both reached the ground at different times. So it's obvious the weight of the object must be accounted for or else they wouldn't reach the ground at different timings especially as they fell from the same height.

So if your blasting a rocket from earth, the object or the rocket itself and it's weight needs to measured against the force of gravity so it doesn't come falling back down. Now the question is how do you know what the measurement of gravity is with certainty within earth? is it a static figure and then you account for the mass of the object and apply some maths?

Lets talk about this boys, we need to know for certain what the force of gravity is on earth because if we build something and we don't know what the force of gravity is, it will always end up crashing back down on earth and never leaving our earth. The next question is what about once it leaves earth, is there a difference in gravity or is gravity consistent across all space?

I am trying to figure out gravity dammit

Back to the gravity topic. I just saw a leaf drop and a small lemon drop at the same time, they both reached the ground at different times. So it's obvious the weight of the object must be accounted for or else they wouldn't reach the ground at different timings especially as they fell from the same height.

So if your blasting a rocket from earth, the object or the rocket itself and it's weight needs to measured against the force of gravity so it doesn't come falling back down. Now the question is how do you know what the measurement of gravity is with certainty within earth? is it a static figure and then you account for the mass of the object and apply some maths?

Lets talk about this boys, we need to know for certain what the force of gravity is on earth because if we build something and we don't know what the force of gravity is, it will always end up crashing back down on earth and never leaving our earth. The next question is what about once it leaves earth, is there a difference in gravity or is gravity consistent across all space?

I am trying to figure out gravity dammit

How to calculate Gravity of the Earth was already posted bro. But to go over it again, It is your weight oo lagu dhuftay Earth's Weight, oo loo qaybiyay Distance from Center of Earth to where you are at(standing) laba jibaaran(squared), multiplied by a number called Gravitational constant. This will give you a number known as gravity value on earth.

u6l3c1.gif

Then to escape that gravity using rocket system, you calculate something called Escape Velocity. If you think you will be able to watch a video of how to calculate escape velocity, let me know. I will post one that I think is simple and you get back and talk about your understanding of the video. Together, we can learn something from the posted video. CangeeroBear has more physics classes under his belt than I did, so he will be able to explain what we can't clarify.

Nothing remains hard to understand if we make efforts. And it can take longer sometimes to wrap your head around a concept. Something as simple as the Double slit experiment in Physics eluded me because of my misunderstanding the wave nature of light. Until I saw a video that explained the water waves going through the slit and what the emerging waves were doing to form the bands on the wall, I was confused about the wave functionality of light.

I am one of those who do better visually and practically applying a concept. I can read a theory thousand times sometimes and it may not be clear. Show me how, and am like, Duh, Easy as f*ck lol.

Last edited:
Overhyped , mars would the worst place to start a civilisaion.It would be more beneficial to go to moons of Saturn or other planets such as Jupiter.Sure it would take long and be hella expensive but Titan can be morphed easily to suit our needs.

There are reasons why mars is overhyped. Though it's cold, arid and has a very thin atmosphere , it nonetheless falls in the outer limits of the habitable zone of a solar system, the so called Goldilocks zone. This means that with massive investment and the right technology, it's possible to terraforming mars to make it more habitable. It's challenges of cold, a thin atmosphere, lack of a magnetosphere, and low pressure among others, all have several possible technical solutions.
The same goes with Venus which is the closest planet to earth and may be a better candidate for terraforming, despite its hellish conditions.

There are reasons why mars is overhyped. Though it's cold, arid and has a very thin atmosphere , it nonetheless falls in the outer limits of the habitable zone of a solar system, the so called Goldilocks zone. This means that with massive investment and the right technology, it's possible to terraforming mars to make it more habitable. It's challenges of cold, a thin atmosphere, lack of a magnetosphere, and low pressure among others, all have several possible technical solutions.
The same goes with Venus which is the closest planet to earth and may be a better candidate for terraforming, despite its hellish conditions.

What about the timeline to turn things around in Mars though? If it takes hundreds of years to change the landscape for plants, then testing for the risks to humans will take some more time. The odds seem greater than can be accomplished in several generations of human life on earth.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
How to calculate Gravity of the Earth was already posted bro. But to go over it again, It is your weight oo lagu dhuftay Earth's Weight, oo loo qaybiyay Distance from Center of Earth to where you are at(standing) laba jibaaran(squared), multiplied by a number called Gravitational constant. This will give you a number known as gravity value on earth.

u6l3c1.gif

Then to escape that gravity using rocket system, you calculate something called Escape Velocity. If you think you will be able to watch a video of how to calculate escape velocity, let me know. I will post one that I think is simple and you get back and talk about your understanding of the video. Together, we can learn something from the posted video. CangeeroBear has more physics classes under his belt than I did, so he will be able to explain what we can't clarify.

Nothing remains hard to understand if we make efforts. And it can take longer sometimes to wrap your head around a concept. Something as simple as the Double slit experiment in Physics eluded me because of my misunderstanding the wave nature of light. Until I saw a video that explained the water waves going through the slit and what the emerging waves were doing to form the bands on the wall, I was confused about the wave functionality of light.

I am one of those who do better visually and practically applying a concept. I can read a theory thousand times sometimes and it may not be clear. Show me how, and am like, Duh, Easy as f*ck lol.

Well what is eluding me is gravity, most of the things we are talking about is the 'effect' gravity has on an object. For example an apple falling from a tree vs a feather falling from the same height, this is the effect of gravity on each object. It really doesn't tell us much about gravity itself.

Now we know for objects there is clearly some differences especially around mass and we know through any test there will be factors involved such as distance and the differing speeds(velocity) each object travels before they reach the ground. Line up a banana, a grape, a feather, or objects of different weight and drop it from the same height, there is clearly differing results on the velocity or speed it travels and the time it reaches the ground.

Now this is observable and I have no issue with that and I do realise if anything is going to escape gravity there will need to be measurements regarding the mass of an object(weight), the distance(to the ground or up in the sky), plus the time. Through this we could possibly work out the speed required or as you called it the velocity speeds needed to escape gravity, because speed is nothing more then knowing these two factors distance/time.

My issue is gravity itself not the effect it has on each object unless of course gravity is only known to us through the effect it has on objects, if that's the case maybe that's where my misunderstanding is.

Last edited:

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Example you know the distance an apple falls from a tree as you will measure what the distance is from where the apple is compared to the ground. Then you get a stop watch and time it and how long it reached the ground. U can work out the speed pretty simply through that by dividing distance and time the apple reached the ground.

So the escape speed or velocity for each object will be different because we know a feather, bannana, rocket are obviously different weights and reach the ground at different times and hence will travel at different speeds. This means we will need to know the weight of the rocket, plus the distance it's travelling and through that work out the speeds necessary and how many motors and fuel is required to achieve that speed. That's my guess anyways!!!

Example you know the distance an apple falls from a tree as you will measure what the distance is from where the apple is compared to the ground. Then you get a stop watch and time it and how long it reached the ground. U can work out the speed pretty simply through that by dividing distance and time the apple reached the ground.

So the escape speed or velocity for each object will be different because we know a feather, bannana, rocket are obviously different weights and reach the ground at different times and hence will travel at different speeds. This means we will need to know the weight of the rocket, plus the distance it's travelling and through that work out the speeds necessary and how many motors and fuel is required to achieve that speed. That's my guess anyways!!!
Escape velocity is independent of weight.Rather to reach a certain velocity you need to change a velocity from 0 to said velocity.This is essentially acceleration and hence you need to accelerate an object.However for this to you need a force , push, which depends on mass.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Escape velocity is independent of weight.Rather to reach a certain velocity you need to change a velocity from 0 to said velocity.This is essentially acceleration and hence you need to accelerate an object.However for this to you need a force , push, which depends on mass.

The force of gravity is down, so if you know the measurements for down, it can be easily reversed for the up side or as you say 'push or force' to go into the sky.

The force of gravity is down, so if you know the measurements for down, it can be easily reversed for the up side or as you say 'push or force' to go into the sky.
Gravity ,according to general relativity , is just an effect of space time.It manifests in something "pushing" you.In the quantum sense we assume particles called gravitons which push us. A better way of thinking of the universe is that force is just the change in potential energy.We all have intrinsic chemical energy and by causing a change in this energy we create something we identify as a force.In a gravitational system we assume a "field" which has energy.The change or flux of this energy causes the gravitational force.

Gravity ,according to general relativity , is just an effect of space time.It manifests in something "pushing" you.In the quantum sense we assume particles called gravitons which push us. A better way of thinking of the universe is that force is just the change in potential energy.We all have intrinsic chemical energy and by causing a change in this energy we create something we identify as a force.In a gravitational system we assume a "field" which has energy.The change or flux of this energy causes the gravitational force.

You write good bro. Reading under a candlelight paid off ...

:denzelnigga:

You write good bro. Reading under a candlelight paid off ...

:denzelnigga:
Only time I use candles is when there is a black out lmao.Its all intuitive in physics till its not.I used to think like most people in pushes and pulls but now I imagine energy planes.Try it instead of forces when doing questions, stuff makes sense.

Well what is eluding me is gravity, most of the things we are talking about is the 'effect' gravity has on an object. For example an apple falling from a tree vs a feather falling from the same height, this is the effect of gravity on each object. It really doesn't tell us much about gravity itself.

Now we know for objects there is clearly some differences especially around mass and we know through any test there will be factors involved such as distance and the differing speeds(velocity) each object travels before they reach the ground. Line up a banana, a grape, a feather, or objects of different weight and drop it from the same height, there is clearly differing results on the velocity or speed it travels and the time it reaches the ground.

Now this is observable and I have no issue with that and I do realise if anything is going to escape gravity there will need to be measurements regarding the mass of an object(weight), the distance(to the ground or up in the sky), plus the time. Through this we could possibly work out the speed required or as you called it the velocity speeds needed to escape gravity, because speed is nothing more then knowing these two factors distance/time.

My issue is gravity itself not the effect it has on each object unless of course gravity is only known to us through the effect it has on objects, if that's the case maybe that's where my misunderstanding is.

Hey Bro, Gravity is a natural phenomenon which happens and exists in nature. It started with people(Isaac Newton) theorizing about what causes objects to fall down when dropped, or what holds the planets in their elliptical orbits. Then Einstein introduced new insights briefly mentioned by CangeeroBear as gravity arising from the warping of space and time. They had to use a total eclipse event to prove that Einstein theory which stated light bends around heavy objects in space.

Gravity is a phenomenon well understood only within the last 300 years through calculations. When Astronauts last landed on the moon, they tested the theory of gravity also by dropping a feather and something else heavier to demonstrate that absent of air friction(atmosphere), objects fall at the same speed unlike on earth where things fall at a different speed due their mass and friction. Since they knew that on earth, and theoretically two things should fall at the same speed no matter their mass, the moon landing offered a chance to prove that theory. Remember the moon has no atmosphere and gravity is way less than Earth's(again, that force that draws two bodies closer to each other which we term Gravity).

The way I look at it, it is one of those things nature offered as a fact and humans have to accept it as it is. This is why I like Physics better than any other branch of science. It is more realistic and tangible. Things are really weird and can not be explained sometimes, but they are there and can be observed. Another good example of this weird phenomenon is how an atom/photon can be in two places at the same time. A single atom can be in two places at the same time but stops doing that when observed/measured as if the atom knew people were watching it. Weird right? Two guys Won the Nobel Prize for proving this fact in quantum Mechanics.

I wrote in a hurry. I am at work. You take faith in the findings and accept it looking at the evidence(calculations and the fact that objects are subject to the force of Gravity everywhere). It becomes easy that way I think. Then learn how people derived the calculations.

Only time I use candles is when there is a black out lmao.Its all intuitive in physics till its not.I used to think like most people in pushes and pulls but now I imagine energy planes.Try it instead of forces when doing questions, stuff makes sense.

You got the joke bro.

I also like to mention Weydamal, he is well read. Osman writes good also and is full of Energy. Good guys on the forum and useful for my geeky side.

Not to forget TomBoy Nalle(a joke sis), whose passion for science is obvious.

Out of the blue, I have a work date with a guy who will show me the process of melting Gold crucibles in a machine we use for research.

If you folks are interested in some practical applications of science, I can share a little bit of what happens at work that is science related.

One of the downsides to studying subjects of science in schools is the fact that many won't see the subjects applied in the real world and they lose interest.

I am lucky in the sense that I am exposed to projects that are scientific and people share information if I ask what they are doing at work. Some can't indulge in what they do for patent related prohibitions and represent private companies using our institution for research, but others from academia are more open about their projects with us since we help them with their projects.

Some of the stuff might be relevant to this thread. I am not sure. Because of my work, I was forced to study some chemistry, some physics, electronics, and technology in the nano scale..

Take Care Guys For Now.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@BestCaseScenario I just noticed something funny, I saw a moth flying in the air, if it wasn't for the light outside and it was pitch dark, I wouldn't of seen it, felt it, smelt it, etc. So what could be lurking around space in that deep blackness, just cause we can't feel it, touch it, smell it, hear it, doesn't automatically mean something isn't there. How do we get around this problem?

@BestCaseScenario I just noticed something funny, I saw a moth flying in the air, if it wasn't for the light outside and it was pitch dark, I wouldn't of seen it, felt it, smelt it, etc. So what could be lurking around space in that deep blackness, just cause we can't feel it, touch it, smell it, hear it, doesn't automatically mean something isn't there. How do we get around this problem?
The old age question of if we couldn't sense it does that means it doesn't exist.Imagine a world where you suffer from that disease, now if we could transmit information into your head you would still , if intelligent enough, deduce the moths existence.Senses are not needed, afterall we cant sense electricity or dark energy yet its still there.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
The old age question of if we couldn't sense it does that means it doesn't exist.Imagine a world where you suffer from that disease, now if we could transmit information into your head you would still , if intelligent enough, deduce the moths existence.Senses are not needed, afterall we cant sense electricity or dark energy yet its still there.

How do you reach a conclusion it is there without sensing it or at the very least having evidence left behind something was there like a feather left behind indicates a bird was there even though I don't see the bird with own two eyes?

So what sort of evidence do you safely assume a moth was flying around in the darkness of your room with the lights off without it touching you, without u seeing it, no hearing, no smelling and it left behind no tangible evidence say for example a shit in your room or a thread of it's body?

Dark matter and Dark energy are interesting as it would be similar to that moth that flew by me in the darkness and if it wasn't for the light, I wouldn't of seen it, heard it, felt it, smelled it, nor was there any evidence left behind for me to assess as it just went past me at a quick speed!!!

If I was an atheist, I would say that moth never existed just cause there is no way I can prove it but does that mean it doesn't exist? Imagine how many things are lurking in the darkness and if you don't have the tool of lights, dna collection, sensory, audio tools, etc most people would say it doesn't exist but no that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it just means you lack the available tools to detect it lol.

Last edited:
How do you reach a conclusion it is there without sensing it or at the very least having evidence left behind something was there like a feather left behind indicates a bird was there even though I don't see the bird with own two eyes?

So what sort of evidence do you safely assume a moth was flying around in the darkness of your room with the lights off without it touching you, without u seeing it, no hearing, no smelling and it left behind no tangible evidence say for example a shit in your room or a thread of it's body?

Dark matter and Dark energy are interesting as it would be similar to that moth that flew by me in the darkness and if it wasn't for the light, I wouldn't of seen it, heard it, felt it, smelled it, nor was there any evidence left behind for me to assess as it just went past me at a quick speed!!!

If I was an atheist, I would say that moth never existed just cause there is no way I can prove it but does that mean it doesn't exist? Imagine how many things are lurking in the darkness and if you don't have the tool of lights, dna collection, sensory, audio tools, etc most people would say it doesn't exist but no that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it just means you lack the available tools to detect it lol.
Moth Exists, and because it exists it causes fluctuations in the universe.It works on electricity and hence affects the electro magnetic field around it.It is being affected by gravity and hence moves the earth towards it ,albeit extremely small,.It also changes the air around it and hence if u were to get an extremely fine piece of paper it would change with reference to the moth. Finally its using chemical energy and thus in a system the entropy changes , this can measured.All these measurements are possible with equipment , you body measures this through senses however we can measure these phenomena through other means.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Moth Exists, and because it exists it causes fluctuations in the universe.It works on electricity and hence affects the electro magnetic field around it.It is being affected by gravity and hence moves the earth towards it ,albeit extremely small,.It also changes the air around it and hence if u were to get an extremely fine piece of paper it would change with reference to the moth. Finally its using chemical energy and thus in a system the entropy changes , this can measured.All these measurements are possible with equipment , you body measures this through senses however we can measure these phenomena through other means.

The point is, if these tools didn't exist and atheist would have to conclude anything we can't see, hear, feel, touch, or test with tools doesn't exist and that's simply not the case. What if the tools you have don't pick up things that are outside of your measurement tools? does it mean automatically that things don't start to exist just cause you cant test it or don't have the means to test it?

We have this flawed understanding of things and we link it to our abilities, there are things that could be outside of our ability, it's so dangerous to limit everything you know just to human intelligence, it really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts