I just came back from Somalia last month, and the older I get and visit the motherland, the more I understand and appreciate the culture, the philosophy and the societal norms and customs. One main theme that piqued both my interest and undivided attention was the qabyaalad that runs through the Somali system; its literally in the bones.

The one thing I fully realise is whether we like it or not, qabiil and qabyaalad isn't going anywhere, its managed to survive through the best and worst periods of Somali history and will continue to outlive many of us.

Now, having accepted that tribalism is interweaved in a complex way with the Somali way of life; surely we must at least try to evolve it so it benefits us as Somalis. I mean it does benefit us currently to some extent, provided you pay qaaraan. But qabiil and qabyaalad cause more problems than benefits. So why don't we brain storm a few thoughts and ideas on how to advance tribalism in Somalia to keep up with the modern 21st century way of life.

It is kind of sad that the world is thinking about going to Mars and exploring space, while Somalis are more concerned with qabiil hebel did this and that etc...
Low IQ people cause death. Free ideas is better and qabill will die out once somalia prosper and people dont rely on each other as much. Qabil only exist because of poor people and old people. Ngl, we qabil as a social structure to help people but we should not have it in The goverment as it will only increase coruption

I just came back from Somalia last month, and the older I get and visit the motherland, the more I understand and appreciate the culture, the philosophy and the societal norms and customs. One main theme that piqued both my interest and undivided attention was the qabyaalad that runs through the Somali system; its literally in the bones.

The one thing I fully realise is whether we like it or not, qabiil and qabyaalad isn't going anywhere, its managed to survive through the best and worst periods of Somali history and will continue to outlive many of us.

Now, having accepted that tribalism is interweaved in a complex way with the Somali way of life; surely we must at least try to evolve it so it benefits us as Somalis. I mean it does benefit us currently to some extent, provided you pay qaaraan. But qabiil and qabyaalad cause more problems than benefits. So why don't we brain storm a few thoughts and ideas on how to advance tribalism in Somalia to keep up with the modern 21st century way of life.

It is kind of sad that the world is thinking about going to Mars and exploring space, while Somalis are more concerned with qabiil hebel did this and that etc...
You are part of the problem sxb, just recently I read a whole vicious qabyaalad exchange between yourself and Galmudugstate user, were both of you slandered countless innocent people just to get at each other.

Until we learn not to be reactionary even if a person insults our tribe and respond with that which is better, we won't get anywhere because all it takes is for one moron to start either a verbal or physical war.

This type of reactionary behaviour is infantile and jaahiliya, it doesn't even make any rational sense because I can guarantee that both of you never personally benefited from all that tribalism.

You likely both pay qaraan and get nothing in return and like the rest of the Somali tribes our lands and entire country is an impoverished wasteland filled with countless tuugo and corrupt politician who are only in power because of support from fellow clansmen.

Until we rid ourselves from this disease and begin to support people based on merit rather than tribalism or nepotism, we will forever wallow in misery.

Change starts at the bottom never at the top, the top always reflects what's at the bottom, and if the bottom is composed of mostly filth so will the leadership that represents them.

If we don't embody this change on an individual level, our collective condition will never change, and to embody this is to leave the filth of qabyaalad, fearing Allah and always standing for justice even if that means going against your own kin.

When Ghengis Khan got rid of feudalism/nepotism and embraced a system of meritocracy they ruled the entire world.

“Verily, Allaah will not change the (good) condition of a people as long as they do not change their state (of goodness) themselves (by committing sins and by being ungrateful and disobedient to Allaah)” [al-Ra’d 13:11]?

Allaah subhana wa ta’ala, in His perfect justice and wisdom does not change the condition of the people from good to bad or from bad to good, from ease to hardship or from hardship to ease, unless they change their condition themselves.

So if they are in a state of righteousness and goodness and they change, Allaah will change things for them with punishment, calamities, hardship, drought, famine, disunity and other kinds of punishments as appropriate requital. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And your Lord is not at all unjust to (His) slaves” [Fussilat 41:46].

Rooble44

Bishop of the order of Gacanta Furan ✋
You are part of the problem sxb, just recently I read a whole vicious qabyaalad exchange between yourself and Galmudugstate user, were both of you slandered countless innocent people just to get at each other.

Until we learn not to be reactionary even if a person insults our tribe and respond with that which is better, we won't get anywhere because all it takes is for one moron to start either a verbal or physical war.

This type of reactionary behaviour is infantile and jaahiliya, it doesn't even make any rational sense because I can guarantee that both of you never personally benefited from all that tribalism.

You likely both pay qaraan and get nothing in return and like the rest of the Somali tribes our lands and entire country is an impoverished wasteland filled with countless tuugo and corrupt politician who are only in power because of support from fellow clansmen.

Until we rid ourselves from this disease and begin to support people based on merit rather than tribalism or nepotism, we will forever wallow in misery.

Change starts at the bottom never at the top, the top always reflects what's at the bottom, and if the bottom is composed of mostly filth so will the leadership that represents them.

If we don't embody this change on an individual level, our collective condition will never change, and to embody this is to leave the filth of qabyaalad, fearing Allah and always standing for justice even if that means going against your own kin.

When Ghengis Khan got rid of feudalism/nepotism and embraced a system of meritocracy they ruled the entire world.

“Verily, Allaah will not change the (good) condition of a people as long as they do not change their state (of goodness) themselves (by committing sins and by being ungrateful and disobedient to Allaah)” [al-Ra’d 13:11]?

Allaah subhana wa ta’ala, in His perfect justice and wisdom does not change the condition of the people from good to bad or from bad to good, from ease to hardship or from hardship to ease, unless they change their condition themselves.

So if they are in a state of righteousness and goodness and they change, Allaah will change things for them with punishment, calamities, hardship, drought, famine, disunity and other kinds of punishments as appropriate requital. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And your Lord is not at all unjust to (His) slaves” [Fussilat 41:46].
Bro I absolutely agree, it was nothing but trolling on my behalf, not is @Galmudug-State my friend but a brother to me, same goes for all the Somalis on this forum. Its one thing to joke about this backward culture but another to act on it, embrace it and immerse yourself in it. But I get you regardless and take your point on board.

Now moving on to the matter of qaraan, why are you against it? I pay qaraan to help the orphans, build essential infrastructure like hospitals, women's centre, mental health clinics, wells etc.. And bare in mind the money I contribute doesn't only benefit my tribe but the other tribes around us. We give in the name of Allah and in the name of Somalinimo.

Bro I absolutely agree, it was nothing but trolling on my behalf, not is @Galmudug-State my friend but a brother to me, same goes for all the Somalis on this forum. Its one thing to joke about this backward culture but another to act on it, embrace it and immerse yourself in it. But I get you regardless and take your point on board.

Now moving on to the matter of qaraan, why are you against it? I pay qaraan to help the orphans, build essential infrastructure like hospitals, women's centre, mental health clinics, wells etc.. And bare in mind the money I contribute doesn't only benefit my tribe but the other tribes around us. We give in the name of Allah and in the name of Somalinimo.
I am not against qaraan at all bro, I was making the point to show the irrationality of qabyaalad, because as individuals in the west we don't personally benefit from this system. (qabiil)

In fact, we are net contributors, I can understand the beneficiary poor person back home willing to give his life in defence but for us in the west it's shameful and irrational.

The money we send back home annually has made our people lazy and idle, as a result they have all the time in the world to go on social media to drum up more qabyaalad

Without all that remittance money they would be extremely busy trying to survive and finding means to cooperate with one another, qabyaalad would have had very little meaning and corruption would have gone down.

We know how unproductive welfare has made our people in the West and most of the money we send as remittance goes towards khaat enriching our neighbours while destroying our populace, it's a double whammy.

If only that money could be diverted to just infrastructure, orphanages, critical institutions, wells, hospitals etc. but instead we lose billions to Kenya/Ethiopia and in return we are left with an entire nation full of lazy unproductive toothless drug addicts.

qabiil has some functions when there’s no functioning state and police, if there is then it wouldn’t be much relevant

Trending

Latest posts