Has the diaspora given up on Somalia?

Barni

⚠️ EPILEPTIC WARNING ⚠️
Ever since Hodan’s death i have given up on that hellhole. She was literally killed senselessly (whilst pregnant) by the ppl she loved so much. As much as i hate the west i knew i get treated better here than i ever would in somalia as a woman. And seeing disaporas idolising qabil n islamic extremism just shows me we r evolving backwards.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
I remember growing up I would hear and see people talking about how somalia is getting better and will return back to how it was pre civil war. Circa now in 2022 I rarely hear those words. The only people who go back fit in these categories: 1- Dhgan celis
2- deported criminals
3- people looking for a wife or has a second wife

Rarely do you see educated diaspora coming back to help build the country. It’s just degenerates coming back. I’ve asked my friends and family if they would ever go visit Somalia and all said no. It seems like everyone just gave up

Those degenerates are buying lands and building houses there. Educated Malis are smart enuf not to be killed.

I’ve given up, especially seeing certain qabils fighting over a barren deserted wasteland in a middle of nowhere killing each other likes it’s 1500s, while the rest of the world is at least trying to live in a modern era.

Plus the death of Hodan who loved Somalia and wanted to change the country for the better, really ended my hope for our homeland.

Now I’m focusing here in the west.

I don’t believe so. Diaspora Somalis if anything are in better position today than 10-20 years ago to make a difference. Everyone I’ve met that’s Somali has the idea of one day settling in Somalia and some visit once every 2-4 years.

Some people I know already live there and some plan when they get 5-8 years of work experience in the West like myself. Obviously there will be some that stay in the west which is normal.

I’ve personally not met a Somali that is identifies more with there nationality than there ethnicity. Among African and Asian people I’ve noticed for some reason a sizeable number amongst them would say things like I’m British but my parents are from (Nigeria, India, Pakistan etc) I’ve not personally met a Somali to say this.

I think if we want to connect the Diaspora to our people back. We absolutely need to emphasise learning the Somali language. There many people including me who sometimes may feel shy or somewhat embarrassed because of the level of Somali they know. Alhamdulilaah I’ve been Somalia many times and can speak and understand at a good level although I want to be proficient in the language InshaAllah.

I don’t know the future but the future in the west doesn’t look bright in my opinion. I feel like a rise in the far right is going to take place in the UK/Europe along with increase in degeneracy is going to make many Muslims want to leave the West. That won’t look be good for Muslims. Not to mention the obligation of Hijra for Muslims that are able to do so. I feel very optimistic about the future. Somalia isn’t perfect but nowhere is. I always tell people to at least go and see for yourself. I was in Somalia in 2004 and I’ve been in 2015 and 2020 in Xamar and I’ve seen lots of change.

It isn’t a characteristic for a Muslim to be pessimistic under the guise of being “real”.
To be honest Muslims in general have this pessimism regarding the Ummah in general. Seeing Muslims oppressed and going through severe hardships. But many want to see change but don’t want to take the first/any step/steps to change. We as collective need to change and we can’t be people waiting for someone to take the first step. Be the change you want to see in others and make sincere Dua for yourself for your family for the Ummah.

why? the west is comfortable

I lived most of my life in the west, and I realized no matter how good or comfortable it is in the west, you will never feel true happiness.

Everyone is different but that's what my conclusion after seeing life in the west and Africa

Last edited:
Somalia has sucked the motivation away from the young and educated like a greedy hore . No more sperm for you, you took everything

(best metaphor I can think of)

Ever since Hodan’s death i have given up on that hellhole. She was literally killed senselessly (whilst pregnant) by the ppl she loved so much. As much as i hate the west i knew i get treated better here than i ever would in somalia as a woman. And seeing disaporas idolising qabil n islamic extremism just shows me we r evolving backwards.
Hodan death shocked me and what totally turned me all the off was government officials like farhad killing fellow government officials under Farmaajo.

Was optimistic like 2015-17 then coups, senseless killings and corruption happen by the freaking government who’s job is to make the country better.

Barni

⚠️ EPILEPTIC WARNING ⚠️
I've been super interested in Somalia since I was 16.

I am in now my late 20s now, and resigned to the fact I'll be living in Australia or abroad for the rest of my life.

It's funny because many of our own parents have had the same experience. They thought would be refugees only for a few years, and they would soon return home. With time they began to care less and just get on with their lives.
When we r younger we obviously r more idealistic but as we grow we becoming more realistic. We r to blame for the current predicament we’re in.Unless somalis take it upon ourselves to change, our country would never get any better.

Keo

VIP
I’m not planning to live in the West forever but at the same time I currently don’t have any plans to settle in Somalia.

I don’t believe so. Diaspora Somalis if anything are in better position today than 10-20 years ago to make a difference. Everyone I’ve met that’s Somali has the idea of one day settling in Somalia and some visit once every 2-4 years.

Some people I know already live there and some plan when they get 5-8 years of work experience in the West like myself. Obviously there will be some that stay in the west which is normal.

I’ve personally not met a Somali that is identifies more with there nationality than there ethnicity. Among African and Asian people I’ve noticed for some reason a sizeable number amongst them would say things like I’m British but my parents are from (Nigeria, India, Pakistan etc) I’ve not personally met a Somali to say this.

I think if we want to connect the Diaspora to our people back. We absolutely need to emphasise learning the Somali language. There many people including me who sometimes may feel shy or somewhat embarrassed because of the level of Somali they know. Alhamdulilaah I’ve been Somalia many times and can speak and understand at a good level although I want to be proficient in the language InshaAllah.

I don’t know the future but the future in the west doesn’t look bright in my opinion. I feel like a rise in the far right is going to take place in the UK/Europe along with increase in degeneracy is going to make many Muslims want to leave the West. That won’t look be good for Muslims. Not to mention the obligation of Hijra for Muslims that are able to do so. I feel very optimistic about the future. Somalia isn’t perfect but nowhere is. I always tell people to at least go and see for yourself. I was in Somalia in 2004 and I’ve been in 2015 and 2020 in Xamar and I’ve seen lots of change.
That’s interesting you can track how much Somalia has changed over those years. From pre al shabaab days to covid.

I haven’t seen Xamer since the early 1990s. I remain optimistic despite all the challenges ahead.

It isn’t a characteristic for a Muslim to be pessimistic under the guise of being “real”.
To be honest Muslims in general have this pessimism regarding the Ummah in general. Seeing Muslims oppressed and going through severe hardships. But many want to see change but don’t want to take the first/any step/steps to change. We as collective need to change and we can’t be people waiting for someone to take the first step. Be the change you want to see in others and make sincere Dua for yourself for your family for the Ummah.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Not saying they’re leaving: I’m saying some or most of them support the idea of separatism.

the name puntland didn’t came out for no reason saxib.

Puntland is never going to seriously consider secession unless there is a second civil war.

Do not listen to some children on social media.

People who fear Somalia because someone was killed there. Newsflash: you can die anywhere, at any moment. Malakul Mawt doesn't know borders. Stop fearing the inevitable, it's a waste of time.

Somalia and Africa in general, has a lot of potential and it will be rebuilt by those who do not fear. Hop on board or miss the train.

I hate to say it but our country has it worse than any other nation. Constant famine. Constant drought. Most corrupt government in the world as per INDEX. Our sisters are raped by AMISOM troops in our lands, Al Shabab blow up our institutes. Our waters are poisoned by China dumping toxic waste. Our land and people is just under constant abuse. It breaks my heart but I don’t know why we have to have it this bad.

hinters

E pluribus unum
VIP
Key problem in our land…..

Khat: coping mechanisms

Qabil: separatism

Failed government: poverty and more corruption.

Key potential alternatives:

Prevent khat being sold.

Stop bringing qabil into politics

And change the systematic governing of Somalia.
The only time when anti qabiilism was actively pushed in Somali was the kacaan. The "government"(has no real power) is built around qabil these days it's impossible to seperate them.

Trending

Latest posts