Documentary on the reintegration of previously incarcerated Somali-Canadian youth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP

“The Bridging Project” is a qualitative research project advancing knowledge of the experiences, barriers, challenges and successes of previously incarcerated self-identifying Canadian Somali youth. This documentary is an introduction into the project featuring service providers, community researchers and coordinators of the project.

SuldaanMethylamine

Scheming from Salaxley
My inaadeer Jacfar :denzelnigga:

Thanks for sharing this @Duchess. I agree with what the sister said at the end, it will only get better from here as Somalis are now better grounded and are able to navigate through the system.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
I guess I'm not the only one who knows people in the documentary eh. lol

I was looking for the report online. It was supposed to be released but I can't find it.

SuldaanMethylamine

Scheming from Salaxley
Jacfar's rageedi wallahi. Through his connection at HCI, he managed to get a $100K donation for the highway beesha have building from Hargeisa to the Ethiopian border
mEBb6ag.jpg

But back on the main topic, I'd like to see that report as well. Would be an interesting read

Sultana

On Hiatus
Yeah, I also want to read that report. I heard about the documentary months ago, but I didn't know it was posted on YouTube.

Afkaa caano lagu qabay. This dirye fellow darn said it @6:36 - 6:52

Very little to do with Somali, more to do with being a Canadian and growing up in the Canadian society. There is very little about them that is Somali. For alot of them they are born Here and this all they know. Most of them don't speak their language. They have never been back home

Well said, this is the problem. Wether people want to admit or not.

@Duchess make sure you post the report here. Im positive it will just reaffirm what ive been saying all along.

Sultana

On Hiatus
@Geeljire you realize that's what he needs to say in order to get funding for his project. It's a Somali and a Canadian issue, to say otherwise is oversimplifying the issue.

@Geeljire you realize that's what he needs to say in order to get funding for his project. It's a Somali and a Canadian issue, to say otherwise is oversimplifying the issue.

Look at the qoute i higlighted of course this a Somali issue since there are Somalis being incarcerated Da Ah!. What im trying to point out its because they are soo far removed from their ethnic and culturally identity which is what has led them astray to take up the filthy toothless urban culture vices (gang-culture,drugs, violence etc.). . Which is the reason for the high incarceration rates in Canada.

Hence yes it is more about them being Canadian then them being Somali, just the truth. Which is why i continue to emphasize the youth rejecting this ''Black Identity'' and not falling into the expectations of becoming this marginalized ''Other''. This is not me oversimplifying an issue that isn't complex to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.