Do you speak Somali?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotMyL

"You are your best thing"
VIP
You are so right. It's because nobody in your household speaks Englis. If this isn't the case kudos to you. Can you start typing in fluent Somali then?
My parents speak English and Arabic but we only speak Somali to each other because that's our language. I feel bad for anyone that can't speak their mother's tongue. Even if your parents failed you, your grown now get your somali on.

NotMyL

"You are your best thing"
VIP
That's not really fair. It's not the best but I can speak Somali. I was born and raised in the west. My parents both speak English fluently and switch between Somali and English at home bc of us but bc I was raised with my ayeyos in the house I'm okay. My younger siblings understand Somali but never speak it, there are different circumstances. Anyway I'm gonna perfect my Somali by spending sometime in Somalia InshaAllah.
Its never too late to learn. Good luck and don't repeat the same mistake you parents made, speak Somali to your kids.

Nah i forgot quite abit, like I can speak it 65 % and understand conversations by 87%, though that aint the only language i lost fluency in too.Was fluent in 3 languages and now im as monolingual as an American:liberaltears:

Madaxkuti

FieldMarshalMadaxkuti
Alhamdulillah my Somali has always been a1 even from young without having to undergo any daqancelis. Not just basic even the most complex of scentences and ideas when people in Hargeisa speak to me they always say how they've never seen a qurbo joog speak perfect Somali with the accent and everything they say if it weren't for my appearance they'd think I was a local

I'm pissed off Waryaada. How can you be Somali and not know Somali WTF. Like how is this possible. I've been staying at my younger cousins house for the past two weeks and these sambacs don't know Somali. They sound fuckin autistic when they speak and they have a hint of that Abgaal accent when they talk when they speak which makes things worse. Anyone on Somalispot who doesn't know Somali should be ashamed of themselves.

A big observation I have also made is Somali people shying away to speak Somali in each other in public. You see Eastern Europeans, Arabs, Asians and all other races speaking their mother tongue but why are the Somali youth so shy to speak their language?
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

They avoid speaking it because Somalis clown them for their horrible Somali. Other races encourage the youth to speak their language in a positive way, whereas Somalis just clown that person for not knowing Somali, which causes that Somali kid to hate being Somali, the Somali culture, and Somalia.

I've seen it happen to many times....

I speak Somali due to Dhaqan Celis.

I am fluent in Somali and I wasn't even born in Somalia. You can put me in a room of islano and I can have conversations and sheeko in Somali for hours on end.

They avoid speaking it because Somalis clown them for their horrible Somali. Other races encourage the youth to speak their language in a positive way, whereas Somalis just clown that person for not knowing Somali, which causes that Somali kid to hate being Somali, the Somali culture, and Somalia.

I've seen it happen to many times....

I speak Somali due to Dhaqan Celis.
You're not wrong I always got mocked by older Somalis due to not knowing the language completely.I even remember once my mom made me take a phone call with an uncle and then laughed at me together at my lack of fluency:jcoleno::mjcry: (it still hurts)

Jeesto

VIP
Af soomaaliga waan daacay. :westbrookswag:A+ ayaan midksta keeni jiray and I even used to substitute for the Somali teacher:hillarybiz:
diddyswag.png

SuldaanGuled

Rag waa shaah dumarna waa sheeko.
Good thread laakin dadka ka qaley sxb

Just a few days ago while walking back home i saw 3 young somali girls who were conversing in somali even though it was jab jab i was really amazed and proud of them. Most importantly they were happy and i wished them best of luck. As the old saying goes practise makes perfect

Sometimes it's important to help build their confidence as it will go a long way in helping them become fluent in af soomali. For some as you've said it was out of their control so we need to be more considerate. Anyways good thread sxb

Status
Not open for further replies.