Do you know these words in Somali? I need a somali "word" for both

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
What are these somali words:

Horaad
Nugaal
Halhays

I need to know waxa loola jeedo. To those who speak classic somali please.

I heard the first one in a poem I listened to once:

Horaadka aan wada nuugniyo, naaska hari waayay

And Nugaal is region of Somalia but never knew what the word meant.

Halhays, am looking for its equivalent english. Moto? What is the diference between Halyhays and Halqabsi.

@riyaale @Tameable Qumayo @IftiinOfLife @astorecalledkmart and Ayubi. Share your knowledge.

This is where my ayeyo koriis af somali goes blank:jcoleno:

I'm humbly giving the stage to the others. I wanna know the english equivalence too.

What are these somali words:

Horaad
Nugaal
Halhays

I need to know waxa loola jeedo. To those who speak classic somali please.

I heard the first one in a poem I listened to once:

Horaadka aan wada nuugniyo, naaska hari waayay

And Nugaal is region of Somalia but never knew what the word meant.

Halhays, am looking for its equivalent english. Moto? What is the diference between Halyhays and Halqabsi.

@riyaale @Tameable Qumayo @IftiinOfLife @astorecalledkmart and Ayubi. Share your knowledge.

Wallahi, I'm out of my element with these words - I need to use the phone a friend option and take council from my parents InshaAllah lol

@astorecalledkmart, @Tameable Qumayo

We all suck at somali then :ftw9nwa::ftw9nwa: I am fluent speaker of it and know a lot about it, unfortunately, I have never been to Mudug and beyond marka afsoomaaliga waawayn iskuma fiicnin.

I have been thinking about the words I asked about though. So will give it shot, perhaps someone can come up with their exact meaning at some point.

Horaad = Hor + aad . The word "Hor" means first or at the front, the word aad means go, so Horaad can mean someone who goes first, or stays at first. I could be wrong but it may have to do with breastfeeding and specifically the first drink a babe takes from his mother's breast after birth?

There are other words close like Hore, Horay, Hor.

To give you the background story behind the line I quoted from a poem, the poet was appealing to a close clan, and the two clans are said to have shared a mother, so the poet is mentioning what binds the two and the fact that both clans suckled the same breastmilk, makes the sharing of mother's milk something that can not be forgotten aka Naaska hari waayay. Like a brotherhood that can never be left behind or forgotten.

HalHays and Halqabsi I think it is a saying someone is fond of and uses it often. Both words are two words joined together.

Hal = She-camel

Hays = holding
Qabsi = to hold onto

I hope someone clarifies some more on the words. They are big Somali words.

Just to continue for those interested in something other than social gossip and discussion outside dating, I installed this Ultraviolet High wattage Lamp which uses mercury gas to emitt light after electricy runs through it and heats up. This light is required for some of the processes people run in our facility, so it is one of the components we have to have on hand and install on machines for process.

upload_2019-12-30_10-52-20.png

This piece costs 1900 USD from the Japanese maker based in California. Because of their high luminance, UV radiation and pressure, it is built hard for endurance and must be replaced after certain hours. I usually run the timer on it at 2500- Hours and may be a little over for convenience. It also runs inside a speically made housing.

Will post more details next from my technical notes and show you where it sits and explain alittle of how it operates.

Here is from my technical notes showing where this Lamp is housed adn the path the light it generates takes to its destined target/objective. This Lamp is aprt of a unit called Illumination System. In the picture, you can see all the major components of the system, Gear head's food LOL.

Will post some more pics.

upload_2019-12-30_11-2-14.png

After Installation i run software program to show me how evenly spread the light would be on an objective. If the light is not even, I make adjsutments in the housing of the arc lamp to get even illumination spread. It is called intensity goal or measurement. The formula behind the software is below.

upload_2019-12-30_11-10-41.png

Finaly, tribute to the element Mercury. Also to mention briefly the processes this Ultraviolet Lamp is utilized as a light source for manufacturing are Liquid Crystal Displays, Printed Circuit boards and all types of chips/micro chips and transistors. Anything that required a circuit board to run and chips to operate its memory from cell phones to tv's must have used this ultraviolet lamp in their original manufacture.

Facts about Mercury:

azfHGm2vBaU7skDMHHupVP-320-80.jpg

"Mercury looks , in its shiny, fast-moving liquid form, but don't touch! It can be extremely poisonous to humans.

The symbol Hg that mercury is known by comes from its Greek name, hydrargyrum, which means "liquid silver" — to reflect its shiny surface. The element is also known as quicksilver for its mobility. Named after the fastest-moving planet in the solar system, mercury has been known to humanity for ages. In fact, evidence of its use has been found in China, India and Egypt, and traces of mercury were found in 3,500-year-old Egyptian tombs
."

https://www.livescience.com/39232-facts-about-mercury.html

Good luck in your studies :nvjpqts:

That is it for today folks for brain overload.

Omar9000

Isxisaabi intaan lagu xisaabin
Thank you brother. @riyaale

UumiHoorow. What an amazing word. It is so obvious in retrospet because condensation/vapor look like uum/qaac in somali.

I am impressed with this and with your list of somali science vocabulary. If you have the book/source, copy paste the link if you can. Looks like a cool source.

Look at the word Conservation there in your list. Means "Waarid". Something can be said wuu waaray when it stays for a long period. I recall grandma saying waxaan kuugu duceeyay cimri waaro. Guess she meant "to be conserved/preserved aka longevity".

Can we invade our neighbours and force them to adopt our rich language please? @Waaqo of Punt.

:mjcry::mjcry:

:salute:knowlege!!!

Thanks walaal:)

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

btw, Gashaanti is deep southern word for Inan. A female who is not married yet and relatively young. Waamo area or Jubba Region in the south.

The word Doob has similar meaning but I am not sure if that is exclusively used for single males or applicable to females too who are not married. It is used for males.

Since you are from the North(making assumptions), what word do you use? assuming you remember all grandma taught you.

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
btw, Gashaanti is deep southern word for Inan. A female who is not married yet and relatively young. Waamo area or Jubba Region in the south.

The word Doob has similar meaning but I am not sure if that is exclusively used for single males or applicable to females too who are not married. It is used for males.

Since you are from the North(making assumptions), what word do you use? assuming you remember all grandma taught you.

I was going to cut some adeer waleey. He called me gashaanti yesterday. It sounds like a candy brand name. In my head I'm like pedo-saqajaan!:gucciwhat:

Last edited:

I was going to cut some adeer waleey. He called me gashaanti yesterday. It sounds like a candy brand name. In my head I'm like pedo-saqajaan!:gucciwhat:

Mudug is central somalia and their somali is the purest form. Them and Reer Waqooyi compete for the claim of the purest spoken somali anyway. Both sound different from Muqdishu and kismayo accents.

Qori is Maris is mythic creature in somali folklore. Used to listen to such stories and loved them as a kid. My great-grand mother from Galkacyo had true story and the evidence to show regarding the beasts of the baadiye, namely a lion and her. I met her close to her death and she used to have me sit next to her on the prayer mat. She used to compose poems of praise for me too with my name included. She showed me her shoulder blade which was marked with big wound. She said that was from a lion who took her as a child out of what the nomads called Kabad. The Kabad is the stuff nomdic people put on top of the camels. This can both protect the camel's skin and work as a seat for the rider, and a place where sacs filled with all kinds of items could be tied on as a luggage carrier.

She said they were moving for days and nights and settled somewhere for rest and sleep. So her older brothers decided to tack her in underneath this Kabad when they took it off the camel's back. The reason she was under this was for her protection and to keep her safe from the beasts as they slept. Despite their precautions against wild animals, alion brazenly snatched her after it knocked the kabad to the side. To make a long story short, her brothers who were armed with guns kept chasing the lion while firing at it in the hopes that it might drop their young sister. And it did. The lion was wounded and dropped my great grandmother. They tracked the lion afterwards and eventually found it dead from a bullet wound. So they sliced a peace of fatty meat from its hind legs and burned that onto their sister's wound. Perhaps I think they thought that was to disinfect her wounds.

Good old grandmas telling excellent stories to enthralled kids was the best . Best thing in a childhood.

I spent time in Baadiye and loved it. Saw Zebra, Ostrich, Wild hogs, Deer, Giraffe and many other forms of wild life. Lots of Monkeys. Heard the Hyenas at night every night but never ran into one during day time. And I wasn't allowed to venture anywhere at night in the dark.

I ate Goroyo/Ostrich meat back then. And your sweat is straight the Ostrich's fat/oil. You basically sweat the oil and smell like Ostrich. Ate deer and some of the other wild meat. Older relatives used to go out and hunt occassionaly with Guns.

Life of a nomad when it rains and the land is green is a free spirit.

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
Mudug is central somalia and their somali is the purest form. Them and Reer Waqooyi compete for the claim of the purest spoken somali anyway. Both sound different from Muqdishu and kismayo accents.

Qori is Maris is mythic creature in somali folklore. Used to listen to such stories and loved them as a kid. My great-grand mother from Galkacyo had true story and the evidence to show regarding the beasts of the baadiye, namely a lion and her. I met her close to her death and she used to have me sit next to her on the prayer mat. She used to compose poems of praise for me too with my name included. She showed me her shoulder blade which was marked with big wound. She said that was from a lion who took her as a child out of what the nomads called Kabad. The Kabad is the stuff nomdic people put on top of the camels. This can both protect the camel's skin and work as a seat for the rider, and a place where sacs filled with all kinds of items could be tied on as a luggage carrier.

She said they were moving for days and nights and settled somewhere for rest and sleep. So her older brothers decided to tack her in underneath this Kabad when they took it off the camel's back. The reason she was under this was for her protection and to keep her safe from the beasts as they slept. Despite their precautions against wild animals, alion brazenly snatched her after it knocked the kabad to the side. To make a long story short, her brothers who were armed with guns kept chasing the lion while firing at it in the hopes that it might drop their young sister. And it did. The lion was wounded and dropped my great grandmother. They tracked the lion afterwards and eventually found it dead from a bullet wound. So they sliced a peace of fatty meat from its hind legs and burned that onto their sister's wound. Perhaps I think they thought that was to disinfect her wounds.

Good old grandmas telling excellent stories to enthralled kids was the best . Best thing in a childhood.

You are a great storyteller walaal
Life back then was adventurous, ngl:2tjlv3e:

Trending

Latest posts