Do you know these words in Somali? I need a somali "word" for both

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
I spent time in Baadiye and loved it. Saw Zebra, Ostrich, Wild hogs, Deer, Giraffe and many other forms of wild life. Lots of Monkeys. Heard the Hyenas at night every night but never ran into one during day time. And I wasn't allowed to venture anywhere at night in the dark.

I ate Goroyo/Ostrich meat back then. And your sweat is straight the Ostrich's fat/oil. You basically sweat the oil and smell like Ostrich. Ate deer and some of the other wild meat. Older relatives used to go out and hunt occassionaly with Guns.

Life of a nomad when it rains and the land is green is a free spirit.

:salute:You are an old soul!

I just asked ayeyo to reconfirm. She insists some human looking creature ate her sister.
Mexeey dhahde it snatched her sister from the mudul at the break of dawn.

I can't take my old lady seriously:ileycry:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

one

ᶜᵃʷᵒ ᶜᵃʷˡᵒ
Has any of you been told cirfiid stories as a child? Those were my favorite.
Only stories of the ones that were working for Prophet Sulayman AS. What stories were you told as a kid?
They are fascinating creatures, if I enter jannah, by allah's mercy, I'm gonna befriend a muslim cirfiid. We're gonna have a tea party everyday and talk about cirfiid related stuffs :fittytousand:
giphy.gif

Forumka ciyaarta ka dhaaf. It's not a "deep southern word". Somalis from Djibouti to Garissa use the word Gashaanti.

Doob= It's used for males only. Not all single men are doobs, only the virgin ones are

No, it's not. It's just superstition.

:russ:

Haye, adiga aan kugu wareejiyay xilka dheesha.

Also, NFD and Jubba regions of Somalia have the same Somali more or less. So sure, Reer Garissa would refer to young girls as Gashaanti, just as their cousins across the border and in Wamo area would.

They also use the word Kuray to address young boys instead of Wiilka ama inanka.

Only stories of the ones that were working for Prophet Sulayman AS. What stories were you told as a kid?
They are fascinating creatures, if I enter jannah, by allah's mercy, I'm gonna befriend a muslim cirfiid. We're gonna have a tea party everyday and talk about cirfiid related stuffs :fittytousand:
giphy.gif
Horror stories. Listening to those stories was scary but couldn't stop craving for more.

IftiinOfLife, Tameable Qumayo, one and others, stay tuned. I will soon bring a cool intro of the Jinn and its tribes including the favorite Cirfiid kind our resident lady "one" likes to meet. Will even mention the Jinni tribe that lives in Somalia and who shares the land with us. If you think thsoe tribes fight along clan lines, they do too.. fun stuff to come.

I hit a gold mine of info last night. So stay tuned friends. Much to come soon.

one

ᶜᵃʷᵒ ᶜᵃʷˡᵒ

Haye, adiga aan kugu wareejiyay xilka dheesha.

Also, NFD and Jubba regions of Somalia have the same Somali more or less. So sure, Reer Garissa would refer to young girls as Gashaanti, just as their cousins across the border and in Wamo area would.

They also use the word Kuray to address young boys instead of Wiilka ama inanka.
Iska hayso xilkaaga,walaal..you're a well-deserved cup winner(koobkii niikada) after all.:shookgabre: Ciyaarta qof yaqaan ayay ku soo baxdaa.:icon lol::icon lol:

Just a few pages back you were asking people to translate a Somali poem for you. Clearly, your Somali is madhax and you have probably never been to "deep southern" Waamo.:icon lol::icon lol: So, how the heck do you know Gashaanti and kuray originated in Waamo or wherever the heck your parents are from?

Well, guess what? They use Gashaanti and kuray up in the north as well. How do you explain that, Mr. ZakWuxuuRabaaInuuCiyaaro?:fittytousand:

one

ᶜᵃʷᵒ ᶜᵃʷˡᵒ
Will even mention the Jinni tribe that lives in Somalia and who shares the land with us. If you think thsoe tribes fight along clan lines, they do too.. fun stuff to come.

I hit a gold mine of info last night. So stay tuned friends. Much to come soon.
I went through a phase a while back where I was obsessed with the world of the Jinn. I literally know everything there's to know about the jinn. It's probably dalac bilaash(suugo) science, but I'm definitely looking forward to the bolded part.

Did you know before Islam, the arabs used to believe that the camels descended from the jinn? There is also this hadith that supports it.
"The Prophet, sallallahu alayhi wa salam, said: "Verily, the camel has been created from devils. And behind every camel there is a devil"

Camel is the most beloved animal by Somalis...Do you see where I'm going with this?:mugshotman:
Since Somalis get along well with camels then maybe we can befriend the jinns(the muslims only), heck we could even use the powerful cirfiids to fight Alshabaab.:faysalwtf: What do you think?

I went through a phase a while back where I was obsessed with the world of the Jinn. I literally know everything there's to know about the jinn. It's probably dalac bilaash(suugo) science, but I'm definitely looking forward to the bolded part.

Did you know before Islam, the arabs used to believe that the camels descended from the jinn? There is also this hadith that supports it.
"The Prophet, sallallahu alayhi wa salam, said: "Verily, the camel has been created from devils. And behind every camel there is a devil"

Camel is the most beloved animal by Somalis...Do you see where I'm going with this?:mugshotman:
Since Somalis get along well with camels then maybe we can befriend the jinns(the muslims only), heck we could even use the powerful cirfiids to fight Alshabaab.:faysalwtf: What do you think?

Waan keeni doonaa qabiillada Jinniga iyo the source for fun. We also have an entire Surah dedicated to a group of Jinni who met the prophet pbuh on his way somewhere in the desert and listened to his Quran recitation.. The saga of humanity and their departure from Heaven was because of a Jinni dude's decision to disobey Allah and cause himself and Adam with his wife to descend from heaven. We are surely fascinated with our Jinni compatriots whom we can't see but know they exist.

First time I heard that Hadeeth. Amazing. I think therei is prohibition through the prayer of Prophet Suleiman that no one else in the human population would be granted to utilize the Jinni/Cirfiit like Suleiman did. There is a side deal that exists between some Jinni groups and some humans to benefit each other and cause problems for mankind, but there won't be any human given the power to employ the Jinni like Suleiman pbuh did.

Waan keeni doonaa the fun clan story of the Jinni race ee ii kaadi Caashaay aan soo laabtee. You seem like one of those somali ladies with the cute old names like Saynab, Ardo, Xulbiso and Xirsiyo.

Waa tahay Ardo aan kuu soo laabto ina Abti.

Iska hayso xilkaaga,walaal..you're a well-deserved cup winner(koobkii niikada) after all.:shookgabre: Ciyaarta qof yaqaan ayay ku soo baxdaa.:icon lol::icon lol:

Just a few pages back you were asking people to translate a Somali poem for you. Clearly, your Somali is madhax and you have probably never been to "deep southern" Waamo.:icon lol::icon lol: So, how the heck do you know Gashaanti and kuray originated in Waamo or wherever the heck your parents are from?

Well, guess what? They use Gashaanti and kuray up in the north as well. How do you explain that, Mr. ZakWuxuuRabaaInuuCiyaaro?:fittytousand:

Gacalka, aniga waqooyi ma tagin ma ogtahay? Koonfurta waa soo maray laakiin ilaa baadiyaheeda fog oo ku dhow xuduudda. Magacyada meelaha aan soo maray oo aan xusuusanahay waxaa ka mid ah Jiiro, Arboqarso, Hayuujeeraa, Magar, Tarri all Oromo named Baadiye locations taken over by Somalis more than 100 years ago. My parents never visited these locations. It is only me who ended up traveling to Baadiye by Allah's Qaddar. And with young relatives. Some close and some distant.

Waaba cool haddii Kuray iyo gashaanti laga isticmaalo waqooyiga iyo meelaha kale ee ka baxsan waamo iyo koofurta.

Yea, i asked help with poems because their somali is above my grade level. Laakiin adigaaba macallin ii noqon karo.

Wax ka fiican naag macallimad ah ma jiro. Darsi iyo Muuqaal wanagsan oo hal meel ah yaa heli kara. Markaad isha iga dadabtana waan ku eegi lahaa

:sass2:

Markaad isoo eegtana hoos ayaan eegi lahaa anigoo iska dhigaaya nin xishooday.

Welcome to the party Abaayo. Ha is martiyaynin.

Last edited:
@one @Tameable Qumayo , here are the fun stories about Jinni I searched and dug up for you :ftw9nwa:

There are videos on Youtube made for fun and to feed into the myth and legends of Jinni among somalis.

I wrote down the clan parts for you and quoted the woman purported to be Jinni herself being interviewed. She goes by the name Shaymaa. She mentions this list below of Jinni clans. Start at 2:06 minutes to listen to her tally the clans. She is also in love with a somali guy. Funny story.

Enjoy the fun. @Tameable Qumayo, If your somali isn't really good, will help you with the entire clip at no cost. You are cute Sheekhad.

There are two groups of Jinni

A- Ilma Jinn
B- Bah Ibliis

They are subdivided into ten clans

1- Quuluu
2- Cifriid
3- Hinaah
4- Naasnaas
5- Jaan
6- Mariid
7- Baalis
8- Shiqqi
9- Shaydaan
10- Silad

The following are of Ibliis

a- shaydaan
b- mariid
c- shiqii
d- quuluu

Silad is the closest to humans in form and can marry them if they are destined to meet according to Shaymaa.

Last edited:

Trending