Do you identify as madow

pinkyandthebrain

All praise is due to Allah Lord of the worlds.
VIP
yeah as a girl I can relate since black women are highly discriminated I would say even more than black men. Somali women are visibly black and Muslim.

mohamedismail

Reewin. Lixda Gobol ee Maayland unii leh!
Growing up yes. But that bubble was burst when I was in yr 8 and a Ghanaian girl told me I wasn't black because I "looked different". Ngl it gave me a little bit of a identity crisis.

But at the same time I'm not those extreme 'im not black I'm Arab' guys. I know I'm technically classed as black by society regardless of what I self identify as.

Bazed

Tired.
VIP
Yes. I use to go to a predominantly white school where they only other minorities were some Nigerians. So I'm not too pressed by the idea since I live in the white man's country, he doesn't care about the difference between bantu and cushitic people.

Yes. I use to go to a predominantly white school where they only other minorities were some Nigerians. So I'm not too pressed by the idea since I live in the white man's country, he doesn't care about the difference between bantu and cushitic people.
I understand we live in western countries however that still shouldn't be an excuse to hold white people's views so highly and just recklessly identify to which label you called

Is it really that much of an issue to just call ourselves Somali and Somali only

In the society in which I lived, no one knew me as โ€œblackโ€ at all. Rather, only that I was Somali. Many Arabs used to call me by Somali nicknames that they were learning, and sometimes they would ask me why my hair was soft and different from other Africans, and among these things, as for the basic point, I am. I refuse to be called black, not because of color at all (because there are many dark-coloured societies), but because of culture. I have a different history, a different culture, and a different religion. Why do they want me to be classified as *color* and forget all these factors? No thanks, I am Somali only from the continent of Africa

In the society in which I lived, no one knew me as โ€œblackโ€ at all. Rather, only that I was Somali. Many Arabs used to call me by Somali nicknames that they were learning, and sometimes they would ask me why my hair was soft and different from other Africans, and among these things, as for the basic point, I am. I refuse to be called black, not because of color at all (because there are many dark-coloured societies), but because of culture. I have a different history, a different culture, and a different religion. Why do they want me to be classified as *color* and forget all these factors? No thanks, I am Somali only from the continent of Africa
This will be classified as black. If people like these represent blacks from all over the world, then I, as a Somali, must oppose that and say no, this is not my culture, beliefs, and religion

Never. Firstly I identify as Muslim, then Arab, then Somalilander, then Somali. Black is a colonial identity, we have lineage and culture we are not black
The same white colonialists used to classify Somalis as white 200 years ago. It is just a social construct. I do not believe in that. I remember that my parents always said about the Afro-Saudis (who were brought into the Arab slave trade and became Saudi citizens) *Black Saudi*

The same white colonialists used to classify Somalis as white 200 years ago. It is just a social construct. I do not believe in that. I remember that my parents always said about the Afro-Saudis (who were brought into the Arab slave trade and became Saudi citizens) *Black Saudi*
Very true. I have never been called black in my life. Somalis began to adopt this identity because it became cool, in reality we share nothing with black people. I have nothing against them but we are not black, it makes more sense to identify as Arab than black.

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
Black, Muslim & Woman.

The token immigrant in white spaces..

Skylar Astin Jackpot GIF by The Roku Channel

Trending

Latest posts