Depression in the Somali community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lily

>,,< certified creep >,,<
We wouldn't know... Somalis would never admit they are depressed. The question is whether silence serves strength?

It's roughly 43%, I would say. Depression is a wide scale thing, and it affects a great percentage of the human race. Somalis, I feel, would be most inclined to become depressed because...well, look at us? Very little live sustainable lives. My answer is simple: not only is depression prevalent in our pathetic community, many other mental issues also ails us. Don't ask how I came to this conclusion. How can we combat this problem? Easy. We need more psychologists and other doctors who have studied neuroscience back home.
We wouldn't know... Somalis would never admit they are depressed. The question is whether silence serves strength?
"silence serves strength"

What do you mean?

McD30

Bored to death
I think it's a huge deal in the Somali community and affects even the best of us. Due to ignorance, they confuse it with mental illnesses. I've seen very educated and capable people who abandoned the Somali community because people used to spread rumours that they were mentally ill. Somalis are scumbags when it comes to mental health and that's why people are stuck to a tree with hyenas as guards.

Sultana

On Hiatus
I'd say about 20% (the same as humans in general). I just think that Somalis exhibit more self-destructive behaviours when they're depressed (mostly due to lack of awareness of the condition).

Status
Not open for further replies.