Deluded self haters says Somalis escaped by luck in the slave trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some Somalis kidnapped and took a few emissaries of the Sultan of Zanzibar as slaves. They were released after a Some brokering. Some Somalis were also notorious for literally kidnapping and stealing slaves of the Zwahili Arab caravans. I also read one source which said slaves preferred (if there is such a thing) Somali slavery to Arab slavery.

Can you show me a link sxb? It's sounds pretty interesting.

It's one of the links you are avoiding and refuse to read.

https://www.somalispot.com/threads/a-concise-history-of-mogadishu.46794/

‘ By the early years of the nineteenth century Muqdisho and the two other principal towns of the Benaadir coast, Marka and Baraawe, seem to have settled into a pattern of regular if modest trade with boats plying the maritime routes between India, Arabia, Lamu and Zanzibar. Exports included cattle,slaves, ivory and ambergris.12 From two Soomaali traders from Baraawe whom he encountered at Zanzibar, Commander Thomas Smee learned in 181 I that Muqdisho ‘is not very considerable, may contain I 50 to 200 houses [by this he presumably means stone houses], it has not any river near it, and has but little trade’. He was also informed that it was governed by ‘a Soomaulee Chief named Mahomed Bacahmeen’, probably the reigning Abgaal imam.13 Despite its modest circumstances, Muqdisho was clearly larger than either Marka or Baraawe, the latter consisting of only about Ioo huts (as opposed to houses). By comparison, it is also worth noting that Smee’s informants could tell him that Luuq had some 300 huts.14 This situation probably remained little changed until the following decade, when the fortunes of the Benaadir towns began to intertwine with the ambitious plans of Seyyid Said ibn Sultan for his East African legacy. Muqdisho, in particular, figured in two incidents which clearly established an atmosphere of mutual suspicion with the Omani rulers of Zanzibar. First, it seems, an Omani vessel ran aground north of Muqdisho and its entire crew was sent to that town for sale as slaves, only to be ransomed after a year in captivity by friends in Zanzibar, ‘who sent some stout negroes to replace them’. Then, in i823, the Omani fleet that was sent to subdue Mombasa dropped anchor at Muqdisho and its commander, Abdullah ibn Sulaiyim, kidnapped two community leaders who came on board his ship and imprisoned them at Zanzibar. A ransom of 2,000 Maria Theresa dollars was fixed for their release, though they were eventually freed by the Governor of Zanzibar at the request of the headstrong British naval captain W. F. W. Owen.15 Owen hoped to raise the entire Benaadir on behalf of the British cause in East Africa, as he saw it, and while he appears to have had some success at Baraawe, none was forthcoming from Muqdisho.’

YourBroMoe

Who the fuck am I? ギくェズー
Y’all weren’t enslaved but the brits put y’all in a zoo.
Being treated like wild animal is worse than being enslaved.
Y’all seriously have nothing to brag about. Stop believing in false pride

Bye
HAHAHAHA go f*ck yourself.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
It's one of the links you are avoiding and refuse to read.

https://www.somalispot.com/threads/a-concise-history-of-mogadishu.46794/

‘ By the early years of the nineteenth century Muqdisho and the two other principal towns of the Benaadir coast, Marka and Baraawe, seem to have settled into a pattern of regular if modest trade with boats plying the maritime routes between India, Arabia, Lamu and Zanzibar. Exports included cattle,slaves, ivory and ambergris.12 From two Soomaali traders from Baraawe whom he encountered at Zanzibar, Commander Thomas Smee learned in 181 I that Muqdisho ‘is not very considerable, may contain I 50 to 200 houses [by this he presumably means stone houses], it has not any river near it, and has but little trade’. He was also informed that it was governed by ‘a Soomaulee Chief named Mahomed Bacahmeen’, probably the reigning Abgaal imam.13 Despite its modest circumstances, Muqdisho was clearly larger than either Marka or Baraawe, the latter consisting of only about Ioo huts (as opposed to houses). By comparison, it is also worth noting that Smee’s informants could tell him that Luuq had some 300 huts.14 This situation probably remained little changed until the following decade, when the fortunes of the Benaadir towns began to intertwine with the ambitious plans of Seyyid Said ibn Sultan for his East African legacy. Muqdisho, in particular, figured in two incidents which clearly established an atmosphere of mutual suspicion with the Omani rulers of Zanzibar. First, it seems, an Omani vessel ran aground north of Muqdisho and its entire crew was sent to that town for sale as slaves, only to be ransomed after a year in captivity by friends in Zanzibar, ‘who sent some stout negroes to replace them’. Then, in i823, the Omani fleet that was sent to subdue Mombasa dropped anchor at Muqdisho and its commander, Abdullah ibn Sulaiyim, kidnapped two community leaders who came on board his ship and imprisoned them at Zanzibar. A ransom of 2,000 Maria Theresa dollars was fixed for their release, though they were eventually freed by the Governor of Zanzibar at the request of the headstrong British naval captain W. F. W. Owen.15 Owen hoped to raise the entire Benaadir on behalf of the British cause in East Africa, as he saw it, and while he appears to have had some success at Baraawe, none was forthcoming from Muqdisho.’

As an old man you should do something better in your life instead of trolling on Somali forums like showing me blogs and no, that fake blog has nothing to do with what Maraaq has said. I'll stick to my authentic sources you creep and I've already debunked you on Zanzibar and Mogadishu so don't waste my time.

Yep. Same link. Alpers.

You can read mine without getting JSTOR access.

Here's the original footnote from the Concise History OP.

<!–[if !supportFootnotes]–>[10]<!–[endif]–> Edward A. Alpers, Muqdisho in the Ninetheenth Century: A Regional Perspective, The Journal of African History, Vol. 24, No. 4 (1983), pp. 441-459, Cambridge University Press."

Last edited:
As an old man you should do something better in your life instead of trolling on Somali forums like showing me blogs and no, that fake blog has nothing to do with what Maraaq has said. I'll stick to my authentic sources you creep and I've already debunked you on Zanzibar and Mogadishu so don't waste my time.

No one can read through these and believe you have debunked anything. The Concise History gets rid of the rest of it. You are right to avoid the History, and you should avoid Alpers, if you wish to remain deluded.

https://www.somalispot.com/threads/...yone-have-more-information-on-it.45990/page-2

https://www.somalispot.com/threads/why-islam-is-a-blessing-for-men.46027/page-9#post-1259488

@Grant Why are you obsessed with arguing on somalispot? And you're not even Somali so why are you so obsessed with this site?

My background is available elsewhere. I came to learn. I stay to help keep Somali History from being totally screwed by those thinking qabyalad and other short-term benefits. Wiki is a disaster area, and this is a good place to start.

:icon e biggrin: There are good histories out there. The Alpers online link is even better than I thought. @MARAQ DIGAAG , thank you. Should be required reading for anyone posting to the History section.

@Hanan.ilhan this girl claimed yesterday that we were just lucky and got away only because no one wanted to enslave us. This is nonsense Somalis didn't get enslaved because we are restless people with massive pride no one could dominate us our people are just to fierce cunning and brutal when it comes to battle Somalis have no mercy
NAME ONE bedouin empire that could have defeated the adal sultanate and ajuran sultanate who conquered the Maldives and many part of southern african, they had colonies and conquered abyssinia(a empire that itself conquered arabs yemen)

SO WE CONQUERED THE CONQUERORS OF THE ARABS so basically arab were childs play for us in the medivila era THEY WERE OUR LITTLE BROTHERS WE LOOKED AFTER THEM AND EVEN DESTROYED THE PORTUGUESE EMPIRE who were looking to invade makkah THEY WERE LIVING UNDER SOMALI PROTECTION.

don't let the somalia of today foul you, SOMALIS HAVE A HISTORY OF BEING CONQUERORS, ENSLAVERS AND COLONIZERS.

OMG!

We were Muslims during the advent of the Arab Slave trade. So we wouldn't of been made slaves.

We're in EASTERN FUCKING AFRICA! Why on God's green Earth would Europeans interested in getting slaves for the new world go to the perilous desert lands of Somalia, meet nomads, not farmers used to labor, but fucking nomads who are used to tribal combat, go through the hassle of fighting said people, and getting their rowdy asses as slaves, shipping them from East Africa to West Africa, and then ship them past the Atlantic ocean to become slaves in America!?! No slave owner is gonna waste that kind of time, energy and money on that idea!

It has been proven that West Africans sold out their own people as slaves. There wasn't any battle.

Do you honestly expect me to believe a handful of Europeans with flintlocked rifles, which were already VERY INEFFICIENT WEAPONS TO USE AT THE TIME, went to a foreign land, fought all the people there, WHO ARE USED TO SAID FUCKING LAND, subjugated them, and got slaves?

The logical explanation was that they went there for business. Got news that slavery was there. Purchased slaves in the area. Said Africans made money. And the Europeans got slaves.
true, ZERO BATTLE, THEY SOLD THEM, IF I WAS AA I WON'T f*ck WITH WEST AFRICAN NEGROS, they are the same people who enslaved them. i would have liked cushitic people more who didn't sell me and are indigenous africans

NAME ONE bedouin empire that could have defeated the adal sultanate and ajuran sultanate who conquered the Maldives and many part of southern african, they had colonies and conquered abyssinia(a empire that itself conquered arabs yemen)

SO WE CONQUERED THE CONQUERORS OF THE ARABS so basically arab were childs play for us in the medivila era THEY WERE OUR LITTLE BROTHERS WE LOOKED AFTER THEM AND EVEN DESTROYED THE PORTUGUESE EMPIRE who were looking to invade makkah THEY WERE LIVING UNDER SOMALI PROTECTION.

don't let the somalia of today foul you, SOMALIS HAVE A HISTORY OF BEING CONQUERORS, ENSLAVERS AND COLONIZERS.
What kinda of historical revisionism is this ajuraan never conquered abyssinia also axum conquered yemen some 300 years before ajuraan that's like saying because UK colonized US therefore is child's play I understand you're proud but don't spread false information be proud of what we achieved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending