Are Somalis Ethno religous?

Their only argument is that you have to be muslim to be Somali, religion is a choice unlike ethnicity so it's just a laughable statement really.

Other people have already replied to their comments on the first page.
What you need to realize is that it is simply not just a religion, it's principles, values, morals, teachings is all a way of life. A way of life that has transformed the Somali people since the spread of Islam in the horn

What you need to realize is that it is simply not just a religion, it's principles, values, morals, teachings is all a way of life. A way of life that has transformed the Somali people since the spread of Islam in the horn

I understand that, i'm not saying we're entirely the same, but you can't just take someone's identity away.

I dunno, maybe it's because i've grown up in the West but it seems absurd to me.

We're never gonna agree on this it seems.

I understand that, i'm not saying we're entirely the same, but you can't just take someone's identity away.

I dunno, maybe it's because i've grown up in the West but it seems absurd to me.

We're never gonna agree on this it seems.
Perhaps not, could you explain why you left islam?

Perhaps not, could you explain why you left islam?

I hated the idea that I was created to suffer and be "tested" whilst also being threatened with torture and hellfire.

I would rather not have been created than go through that, I actually envy kids who die early due to this as they got an easy way out.

Islam is just too negative for me to be enthusiastic about it.

I had zero motivation to pray or do Islamic things.

In terms of whether I believe Allah exists or not, I see it as a possibility, I don't rule it out but I also would not be surprised if it turns out that he doesn't exist.

I am agnostic, not atheist, I can't say that i'm certain.

I don't really care about religions and having to follow an extra set of rules each day.

uhh @Hals how am I wrong? The guy literally said he prefers chaos in somalia rather than stability, its easy for him to say that when he doesn't suffer like the average person living there. How is that 'meh' worthy???? :umwhat:

Somali ex Muslims be like “wallahi I left islam”

Lol, it's hard breaking a habit.

The thing is though, I never really cared about the meaning of the word, all I knew is that the other person is more likely to believe me if I used it.

From what I remember, you're supposed to only use for serious things, but a lot of Somalis just use it so often even for tiny things, that it's hard to stop :mjkkk:

I hated the idea that I was created to suffer and be "tested" whilst also being threatened with torture and hellfire.

I would rather not have been created than go through that, I actually envy kids who die early due to this as they got an easy way out.

Islam is just too negative for me to be enthusiastic about it.

I had zero motivation to pray or do Islamic things.

In terms of whether I believe Allah exists or not, I see it as a possibility, I don't rule it out but I also would not be surprised if it turns out that he doesn't exist.

I am agnostic, not atheist, I can't say that i'm certain.

I don't really care about religions and having to follow an extra set of rules each day.

"I hated the idea that I was created to suffer and be "tested" whilst also being threatened with torture and hellfire."

You were not created to suffer, you can enjoy the world and all that is in it (that is permissible) however you should not make it your most important priority/goal. It is a test however, not sure why you hate the idea. In this life we're tested with many things, hating it rather than passing it would not help you overcome it

"I would rather not have been created than go through that, I actually envy kids who die early due to this as they got an easy way out."

You shouldn't be sad that you are alive, there are many pleasures things in life that you take for granted that you'd never experience if you never existed, of course there are bad things as well, this world is a test and is filled with it, but if much of the bad is hurting you in such a way, instead of becoming depressed by it you can make an effort in your own life to better the situation you so much hate.

"Islam is just too negative for me to be enthusiastic about it."

What is it about Islam that is negative, is it the things that i have mentioned earlier or is it something else? Is what you do/believe instead somehow more enthusiastic? If so what way? The way i see it, not believing in a god, all morality is subjective, would make you depressed even more. It's an easy path to nihilism, that life has no meaning whatsoever. You tell me, which is it that is more positive?

"I had zero motivation to pray or do Islamic things."

Well why is that the case, was it because you had doubts were you simply lazy, couldn't get used to it ect? Making things a habit by doing it over and over again while also understanding the underlying importance of it would help you do these things

"In terms of whether I believe Allah exists or not, I see it as a possibility, I don't rule it out but I also would not be surprised if it turns out that he doesn't exist."

Well if you see it as a possibility, then it is within your best interest to know for certain by looking at both sides and come up with a conclusion, because like you say if you see it as a possibility and it turns to be true then to put it bluntly you're pretty much screwed. And if its the latter then you're just going into what you're trying to escape in the first place

Reach over at the olive branch brother/sister

Tbh I think this saying that u can’t be Somali without being Muslim came about during the civil war . Reminds me of when Somalis say we’re all one ( ethnicity language religion ) so there’s no reason for us to be so divided .

You were not created to suffer, you can enjoy the world and all that is in it (that is permissible) however you should not make it your most important priority/goal. It is a test however, not sure why you hate the idea. In this life we're tested with many things, hating it rather than passing it would not help you overcome it

You shouldn't be sad that you are alive, there are many pleasures things in life that you take for granted that you'd never experience if you never existed, of course there are bad things as well, this world is a test and is filled with it, but if much of the bad is hurting you in such a way, instead of becoming depressed by it you can make an effort in your own life to better the situation you so much hate.

Fair I guess.

The way i see it, not believing in a god, all morality is subjective, would make you depressed even more. It's an easy path to nihilism, that life has no meaning whatsoever.

I agree, this is exactly how I feel.

Well why is that the case, was it because you had doubts were you simply lazy, couldn't get used to it ect?

The thing is, when I feel miserable I have no motivation to do anything, let alone pray.

I don't want to meet up with people and go do stuff either, I would just rather stay on my bed all day (when i'm not in Uni).

I find it hard to pray or feel "grateful" to Allah when i'm feeling this way, so I don't.

Well if you see it as a possibility, then it is within your best interest to know for certain by looking at both sides and come up with a conclusion, because like you say if you see it as a possibility and it turns to be true then to put it bluntly you're pretty much screwed.

I know, it's a gamble.

Though I can say this about every other religion too.

I guess it makes sense to take the safe route and what i'm used to (Islam) but I also think that if I was born to a Christian family or anything else, I doubt I would ever become Muslim on my own.

@Username is honestly a troll, he does not want to seek answers, he replies to only a select few, and when a person makes a valid argument they ignore and start spouting things again. He's probably not even Somali, anyone can say that they're anything on the internet, notice how he comes during specific topics, never to be seen again. Obviously a red flag
We speak the same language sxb, waa sheegato all of them😅 they're obssesed and crazy, you will never see a somali going to a yoruba or a german site, and pretend to be one of them and spend hours speaking nonsense, what a life they live😅

@Username Islam is not negative at all, maybe that's how it was taught to you. Try reading the Quran yourself with an open mind, think about the verses.

Allah swt created all love and mercy so imagine how much he has for you?

Indeed, ˹it is˺ We ˹Who˺ created humankind and ˹fully˺ know what their souls whisper to them, and We are closer to them than ˹their˺ jugular vein. 50:16

the Messenger of Allah (saw) said: "Allah says, 'I am as My slave thinks I am, and I am with him when he mentions Me. If he makes mention of Me to himself, I make mention of him to Myself; and if he makes mention of Me in an assembly, I make mention of him in an assembly better than it. And if he draws to Me a hand-span length, I draw near to him a forearm's length. And if he comes to Me walking, I go to him in a hurry."

So think positively and be hopeful, Allah swt is more merciful and loving then you could ever imagine anyone or anything is.

May Allah swt guide you and us all.

Fair I guess.

I agree, this is exactly how I feel.

The thing is, when I feel miserable I have no motivation to do anything, let alone pray.

I don't want to meet up with people and go do stuff either, I would just rather stay on my bed all day (when i'm not in Uni).

I find it hard to pray or feel "grateful" to Allah when i'm feeling this way, so I don't.

I know, it's a gamble.

Though I can say this about every other religion too.

I guess it makes sense to take the safe route and what i'm used to (Islam) but I also think that if I was born to a Christian family or anything else, I doubt I would ever become Muslim on my own.
If you were a christian the concept of trinity would lead you to islam😅