Are Somalis Ethno religous?

Fair I guess.

I agree, this is exactly how I feel.

The thing is, when I feel miserable I have no motivation to do anything, let alone pray.

I don't want to meet up with people and go do stuff either, I would just rather stay on my bed all day (when i'm not in Uni).

I find it hard to pray or feel "grateful" to Allah when i'm feeling this way, so I don't.

I know, it's a gamble.

Though I can say this about every other religion too.

I guess it makes sense to take the safe route and what i'm used to (Islam) but I also think that if I was born to a Christian family or anything else, I doubt I would ever become Muslim on my own.
Im sorry sxb but om curious and if you don't mind me asking what does being depressed feel like? and what would you say are the emotions that describe it best? And is it based on trauma, or is it just a state of feeling without any underlying trauma causing it? Im ignorant on the subject thats why am asking🙏🏾

Would you consider an Somali Atheist to be Somali? Because I wouldnt. I belive Somalis are Ethno religous like the Amish, and Greeks etc. If you leave the deen your not Somali. Our idenity is just that deeply intertwined with our relgion.

For me, it depends. If the individual respects Islam but couldn't find faith in their heart, they are not engaged actively in any action contrary to somali culture and by extension Islam, and they are decent, I see that person as a somali relative of mine who deserves my respect.

our people existed well before Islam, which is only 1400 years old. Why reject your ancestors and heritage? you never see any other people do that. Embarrassingly low IQ

You are wrong about Islam being 1400 years old only. The word "Islam" has five meanings I think but the major one means "Submission" to the will of God. It started with Adam. All religions have their roots in prophetic message that was Islamic but over time got corrupted by additions, exemptions, loss of scripture and death of knowledgeable people of that faith. There was renewal of the message always in the form of prophets appearing and clearing up confusions and ignorance., Islam follows that tradition and the Quran itself says it is here to correct mistakes of other religions and to support previous prophets and messengers, therefore, Islam was and is mankind's religion.

Also, Islam has practical social applications that are necessary for all times. Justice, truth, equality, responsibility, freedom of conscience, standing up for yourself and for others who are weak, the list is too long of what you find in Islam that modern societies require to function cohesively. Pick and choose.

You are wrong about Islam being 1400 years old only. The word "Islam" has five meanings I think but the major one means "Submission" to the will of God. It started with Adam. All religions have their roots in prophetic message that was Islamic but over time got corrupted by additions, exemptions, loss of scripture and death of knowledgeable people of that faith. There was renewal of the message always in the form of prophets appearing and clearing up confusions and ignorance., Islam follows that tradition and the Quran itself says it is here to correct mistakes of other religions and to support previous prophets and messengers, therefore, Islam was and is mankind's religion.

Also, Islam has practical social applications that are necessary for all times. Justice, truth, equality, responsibility, freedom of conscience, standing up for yourself and for others who are weak, the lsit is too long of what you find in Islam that modern societies require to function cohesively. Pick and choose.
The religion ordained for man has Always been islam, Moses, Abraham, Ciise, Daud, Yaaqub, Haarun etc were all muslims, according to schoolars there have been 120000+ prophets and people entrusted with conveying the message of monotheism through the ages, who says we didnt get one of those messengers from our people! Islam is the last religion entrusted with the last prophet, for one to forsake it is a pity walaahi.

Fair I guess.

I agree, this is exactly how I feel.

The thing is, when I feel miserable I have no motivation to do anything, let alone pray.

I don't want to meet up with people and go do stuff either, I would just rather stay on my bed all day (when i'm not in Uni).

I find it hard to pray or feel "grateful" to Allah when i'm feeling this way, so I don't.

I know, it's a gamble.

Though I can say this about every other religion too.

I guess it makes sense to take the safe route and what i'm used to (Islam) but I also think that if I was born to a Christian family or anything else, I doubt I would ever become Muslim on my own.
Brother/sister after reading it all, I believe that you need to get to the root of why you are miserable in life. It is something that may take a bit of thinking and self reflection, as it may be difficult to pinpoint the exact cause. Is it because you have doubts about Islam and the existence of God? Is it other issues like a family thing, or a school thing? Is it because of lack of friends? Or could it be a mix of all, I'm genuinely curious and want to help to the best of my abilities. You say you lack motivation, and that you pretty much believe that life is meaningless, and that you have time giving gratitude to Allah, could you kindly explain all this in detail also ❤

Last edited:
@Username people come across as harsh because they attach sinister motives to most who claim to be atheist on here. There is a lot of attacks against Islam and muslims as you know so that naturally makes people hostile.

I don't think that anyone genuine wishes any harm or discomfort if you're genuinely struggling with belief. So don't take it personal it is not.

I wish you the best on your journey

The religion ordained for man has Always been islam, Moses, Abraham, Ciise, Daud, Yaaqub, Haarun etc were all muslims, according to schoolars there have been 120000+ prophets and people entrusted with conveying the message of monotheism through the ages, who says we didnt get one of those messengers from our people! Islam is the last religion entrusted with the last prophet, for one to forsake it is a pity walaahi.

Definitely Faith/Islam had been established throughout human history. Human beings wouldn't invent the concept of a creator without knowledge of his existence. And that knowledge is one they inherited from their father in the beginning. So religion was the norm for mankind from their life's onset on earth. The purpose of man's creation itself was is based on the expectation of him worshipping his creator. As Allah says that he didn't create both Mankind and Demons except for them to worship him. And for human beings to represent Allah on earth. Great honor bestowed on mankind.

The story of Adam and Allah is one of love, trust, generosity, teaching, and forgiveness. So human story starts with that love and gift of knowledge which Allah bestowed on Adam. For the story to continue in harmony or end up in conflict, it all depends on the human being's performance.

It is also a fact that many men are unwilling to accept anything but blasphemy according to the Quran.

Last edited:

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
Somalis are an ethnic group because of Islam. Islam is soo deeply ingrained within our identity, it is impossible to be a Somali and not be a Muslim. Somalis are the people closest in material culture to the Arabs camel nomads of the prophet's time. Our culture was perfect for the adoption of Islam, and Islam pervaded everything. You can separate Bengali culture or Javanese culture from Islam because they became Muslim within their recorded history. Somalis have been Muslim for as long as our culture can remember.

Somalis are an ethnic group because of Islam. Islam is soo deeply ingrained within our identity, it is impossible to be a Somali and not be a Muslim. Somalis are the people closest in material culture to the Arabs camel nomads of the prophet's time. Our culture was perfect for the adoption of Islam, and Islam pervaded everything. You can separate Bengali culture or Javanese culture from Islam because they became Muslim within their recorded history. Somalis have been Muslim for as long as our culture can remember.
What were we before Islam? Are Arabs an ethnic group because of Islam? Can you tell me any other ethnicities that are like how you described Somalis to be ? It kinda seems people are trying to say that before Islam came to us we were naked animals and Islam gave us clothes and a purpose.

What were we before Islam? Are Arabs an ethnic group because of Islam? Can you tell me any other ethnicities that are like how you described Somalis to be ? It kinda seems people are trying to say that before Islam came to us we were naked animals and Islam gave us clothes and a purpose.
There is no doubt that Islam has propelled our people, see you're talking about actual ethnicity whereas we are talking identity. Big difference

I hate this dead topic all it does bring out the delusional insecure Somalis who think the world is collapsing bc ppl have different views.

Invader

👾pʅɹoʍ pǝʇɐʅǝxᴉd ɐ uᴉ ƃuᴉʌᴉʅ👾
NO Somalis are not ethno religious

Will you belong to the Somali community if you're a murtad - NO our dhaqan is in tune with deen

But your ethnicity doesn't change. What do you call pre Islamic Somalis? :icon lol:
Did you read the whole thread or did you come just to dump your reply after everything has been decided?

I provided many proofs why Ex-Muslims are also Ex-Somali.

Do you even know the meaning of ethno-religious? We are ethno religious by definition.

The major argument I see here is "What were our ancestors before Islam?" This argument has already been dealt with. It's just getting repetitive now.

I've answered that in this thread.

Here are the quotes:
Religion plays a major role in our identity. The first documentation of the word Somali was during the Adal-Abysinian war when the king of the habash was writing a letter to someone. That was when Islam had a huge grip on Somalida and most of us were Muslim. Our ethnogenesis as a Somali people happened because of Islam and that's because the only time our people ever united was when we were fighting against gaalo. The use of the word Somali increased during the colonial era when Somalis needed to unite to successfully fend off these invaders that wanted to make us subservient to them by conquering us and changing our religion.

When reading about wars that were fought by Somalis, most would consider them wars that were between native Somalis and foreigners, but the old Somalis didn't see it that way. They considered it a war between religions. That's why they addressed their enemies as Gaal Madow(Oromo, Xabash) and Gaal Cad(Portuguese, French, British, Italians) because what all these enemies all had in common was their intention of sabotaging and changing our way of life and a major facet of our identity.....our religion. One of the roots/base/foundations of the concept of Somalinimo is Islam, because Islam is the one that helped in unifying our people.

Now tell me, how can an apostate call himself Somali when he has abandoned such a major facet of our identity? A facet of our identity that was one of the main causes if not the main cause of our ethnogenesis as a people. A Somali that has abandoned Islam has also abandoned Somalinimo. Simple as that.
Macanto. Something you should realize from the history of the Somalis is that whenever we were waring with foreigners. The Somalis never considered it a war between ethnicities but rather a war between religions. It was jihad for them. That's why they addressed their enemies as Gaal Madow(Oromo, Habash) and Gaal Cad(Portuguese, British, Italians, French) because what all these enemies had in common was their extreme desire to conquer us and make us subservient to them by striping us of our religion. This shows you how major the role of Islam was in the formation of our people.
Asking this question clearly shows your ignorance regarding our people. We don't share common traditions, customs and religion as our ancestors. The meaning of ethnicity is the fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition. Using basic logic we can come to the conclusion that we aren't the same ethnicity. Just like the Copts of today aren't the same ethnicity as the ancient Egyptians despite having a genetic link to them.

They didn't call themselves Somalis. We do. That's basic logic. We do originate from them but we're not the same ethnicity, if we go by the definition of the word "ethnicity" which is:

the fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition.

Trending