The drought in Somalia is becoming a famine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AUN to the victims.

I just came back from Somaliland recently and things aren't looking good.

The main road between Hargeisa and Berbera was litterd with cairns (graves) plus I heard that the sight is worse in salahley and in the Haud proper.

Walahi it's a farce how, untill recently, the drought was barely covered in western/international media and when they are, you'll witness dispicable and sickening comments on regards to the situation.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
“Sixty percent of our livestock has been lost in the past two months alone,” said Ahmed Abdullahi Abdirahman, manager of Puntland’s Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Agency. “That number is increasing day after day.”

This drought may signal the end of pastoralism as an economic engine in Northern Somalia. Recovery from this will take a decade or more, cities are ballooning with herders who have lost everything. An unmitigated disaster.

http://www.irinnews.org/feature/2017/03/06/can-aid-come-time-avert-famine-somalia

Prince of Lasanod

Eid trim pending
AUN to the victims.

I just came back from Somaliland recently and things aren't looking good.

The main road between Hargeisa and Berbera was litterd with cairns (graves) plus I heard that the sight is worse in salahley and in the Haud proper.

Walahi it's a farce how, untill recently, the drought was barely covered in western/international media and when they are, you'll witness dispicable and sickening comments on regards to the situation.
I was surprised when I saw how the once green Gabiley was so arid and dry wallahi, our nomadic lifestyle isn't sustainable. May Allah ease their suffering.

This drought may signal the end of pastoralism as an economic engine in Northern Somalia. Recovery from this will take a decade or more, cities are ballooning with herders who have lost everything. An unmitigated disaster.

http://www.irinnews.org/feature/2017/03/06/can-aid-come-time-avert-famine-somalia
I've got absolutely no words. This is insane.

SomaliWadaniSoldier

Weeping for the Nation of 68
Interahamwe
VIP
This is very sad situation.
May Allah's curse be on Alshabab and may Allah destroy them quick.

Their stupid and bloodthirsty ways makes the drought much worse.

I haven't gone though this whole thread, but what do you guys suggest the diasporan Somali's do other than sending back remittances?
There has to be something else we can do. We a sustainable solution and a way to mitigate the effects of droughts bc they're not gonna stop anytime soon. Somalia is going through desertification. We need our people to get together and try to really create as meaningful change as possible.

UN and NGOs already have the resources to deal with it but they are insisting that governments should pay more when they are sitting on the piles of contributions. Prevention of this crisis would have cost a fraction of what they're asking for.

These vile people are disgusting and shameless.

Total contributions in 2015 as of was $5 billion but the
UN needed $4.4 billion by July of last year to feed 20 million hungry people in the continent.

What are they using their money on? Salaries? Pensions? Villas in Nairobi and South Africa? It's just big bureaucracy.

IMG_20170310_193858.jpg

This is heartbreaking. I count my blessings everyday to live where I do.

This famine however seems like it could have entirely been prevented in so many different ways. There have been several conferences and summits on the drought but where is the official government action?

This is heartbreaking. I count my blessings everyday to live where I do.

This famine however seems like it could have entirely been prevented in so many different ways. There have been several conferences and summits on the drought but where is the official government action?

Somalis like to meet for talk and in the process waste ressources and time by looking like they are doing something. Reality is must is ignorant and don't have the specialized training needed for it.

I'm however running with a few friends at uni makes issue of the drought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts