The drought in Somalia is becoming a famine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLibertarianQuiche

Quintessentially negroid: Your problem?
Forreal someone needs to start an education campaign there that you can survive without meat. Global warming is only going to intensify droughts so we might as well get used to the taste of fish sooner than later

People only eat fish fresh. They don't trust canned products.

As with eggs, I actually don't know whether Somalis eat it by itself.

At least in Puntland we are very fish conscious but I dislike the stigma about canned fish.

People only eat fish fresh. They don't trust canned products.

As with eggs, I actually don't know whether Somalis eat it by itself.

At least in Puntland we are very fish conscious but I dislike the stigma about canned fish.
Theres nothing dignifying about eating from a can. But I get that they don't have much choice. There is a lot of gulf countries with 0% arable land but are self reliant when it comes to food. Something needs to change in our economy

Forreal someone needs to start an education campaign there that you can survive without meat. Global warming is only going to intensify droughts so we might as well get used to the taste of fish sooner than later
Global Warming will be good for us. I welcome it and hope Trump backs out of the Paris deal. These are the projections
image.png
image.png
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.gif

As if we will not be wiped out by the rest of the world in the ensuing water wars. Only a mad man would wish for more global warming :pachah1:
Water wars? The Mediterranean can f*ck off Idc about it. The Horn And Somalis will benefit greatly from Global Warming.

Global warming ha nolato.

I said this once before but our ancestors were xoolo. The Ethiopian highlands with a pleasant cool climate, no tsetse fly or other tropical diseases, large farmable land with large amount of water resources was a stone throw away for the taking but they fight and killed each over worthless arid lands. Anyways, how is the Kililka shanaad faring? I heard some folks in the Hawd were pouring over the border.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
Drought is now severe or extreme in more than 90% of the country. River Shabelle is now dry in its most important lower reaches due to irrigation pumping in Kelafo and Godey. Food prices are spiking already all over, I am guessing some traders are holding on to inventory expecting that prices will be even higher in the future. This is looking even worse than 2011.

http://reliefweb.int/map/somalia/somalia-drought-conditions-jan-2017
http://reliefweb.int/report/somalia/somalia-price-bulletin-january-2017

Thegoodshepherd

VIP
FAO continues to say Somalia is in a pre-famine stage but this is not true imo, if people have started to die from hunger we are in a famine. There are still 2 to 3.5 months to go before the rains, it will only get worse from here on out. Somali politicians should be panicking because this is probably worse than 2011, the situation is out of control.

http://news.trust.org/item/20170202131108-vpfvj/

Thegoodshepherd

VIP
@AbdiJohnson I feel like Somalia is a running experiment to see what true subsistence is in the modern world. What is the smallest amount of money a human being can physically survive on? Every year the population grows by 4% but the total gdp only grows by 2%. GDP per capita declines every year such that a failed rainy season now causes the death of a quarter of a million people. If this trend continues, eventually a slight rise in world food prices may be all that it takes to knock out the same number of people. The population will be living at a level no human has probably ever experienced. Neither really alive nor dead. Somalia is becoming hell on earth.

@AbdiJohnson I feel like Somalia is a running experiment to see what true subsistence is in the modern world. What is the smallest amount of money a human being can physically survive on? Every year the population grows by 4% but the total gdp only grows by 2%. GDP per capita declines every year such that a failed rainy season now causes the death of a quarter of a million people. If this trend continues, eventually a slight rise in world food prices may be all that it takes to knock out the same number of people. The population will be living at a level no human has probably ever experienced. Neither really alive nor dead. Somalia is becoming hell on earth.

4% pop growth rate is a bit too much.

Maybe 2.5%?

These famines are of course tied to population growth. People should be limiting how much kids they have in Somalia.

The Somali govts need to have a food reserve and fight soil erosion. I read somewhere that Africa will only be able to feed around 1/4 of its population in a few years if they don't do something about it.

I think it's not as doomsday as what they were saying back when oil prices were high and biofuels were used as an alternative. Biofuels pushed world food prices more than double a couple of years ago. But this isn't a problem for Somalia.

FAO continues to say Somalia is in a pre-famine stage but this is not true imo, if people have started to die from hunger we are in a famine. There are still 2 to 3.5 months to go before the rains, it will only get worse from here on out. Somali politicians should be panicking because this is probably worse than 2011, the situation is out of control.

http://news.trust.org/item/20170202131108-vpfvj/

No despair Allah is great and there watching for us.

Thegoodshepherd

VIP
4% pop growth rate is a bit too much.

Maybe 2.5%?

These famines are of course tied to population growth. People should be limiting how much kids they have in Somalia.

The Somali govts need to have a food reserve and fight soil erosion. I read somewhere that Africa will only be able to feed around 1/4 of its population in a few years if they don't do something about it.

I think it's not as doomsday as what they were saying back when oil prices were high and biofuels were used as an alternative. Biofuels pushed world food prices more than double a couple of years ago. But this isn't a problem for Somalia.

You are right about the rate of population growth being 2.5%, but I estimated the 4% figure from the fertility rate. The reason there is such a disparity between the birthrate and the rate of population growth is that somalia has a 10% infant mortality! Basically almost triple Kenya's and double Ethiopia's. Somalia has a higher fertility rate but Kenya and Ethiopia actually have a higher rate of growth because their children actually live! Somalia is basically in a Malthusian trap!

Status
Not open for further replies.