The drought in Somalia is becoming a famine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eternal shame one after another. When will ALLAH S.W.T uplift this humiliation we have gone through within the last three decades? With such a long coastline, arable lands and abundance of livestock aswell. YAAB, simply YAAB.
Allah does not help a people unless they help themselves. Allah has blessed us with abundant resources it's up to us to use it correctly.

I think the biggest problem is that Alshabab hold almost all of the agricultural land in Southern Somalia. They control Bay, Lower Shabelle, and the Juba valley. The only state with substantial agricultural production outside of their control is Middle Shabelle. Only when you have liberated those areas will you be able to address the famine issue. As long as Alshabab maintains control over Somalia's food producing regions, you can expect a famine every 5th year.

:bell::francis:

we still got beledweyn

Nomadism is a curse. No one plants fodder for their cattle, no one invests in water supply you just walk to where rain falls and fight over pasture. We should eat fish and grow fodder for our cattle. How can you keep cows and goats without water on tap or rivers and streams? They need a lot of water and of course they'll die if there isn't water. We're a desert country moving like we're a rainforest country.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
The EU, the top funders of food aid to Somalia, has declared a state of pre-famine in Somalia. I find it very alarming that pre-famine is being declared in mid January a full 4 months before the expected rainy season.
http://reliefweb.int/report/somalia...t-dg-echo-un-echo-daily-flash-18-january-2017

Appeal for $864 million issued by UN, but it is difficult to see how that much money can be raised in 2 months. Almost half of the population of Somalia needs emergency food aid. There is no way in my opinion that some tens of thousands, at least, will not be reached in time. 1.2 million people in Mogadishu alone need emergency food aid!
http://reliefweb.int/report/somalia...-us864-million-appeal-reach-39-million-people

Map of hundreds of thousands in each gobol in need of food aid
SEHqjRq.png

:holeup:

Thegoodshepherd

VIP
People from my hometown of Burtinle have been hit very hard apparently, the pastoralists who have lost everything are now in Galkacyo awaiting food aid. The situation is very dire if people from Burtinle are seeking aid in Galkacyo.

Thegoodshepherd

VIP
Puntland seems to be in particular trouble considering that there is no fodder production or any agriculture to speak of. This means that livestock loses are likely to be greatest in Puntland. We have huge problems heading our way in the next three months, and I don't see any government capacity at the federal state level in Puntland that can deal with it.

MSF has come back to Puntland after 8 years, which is absolutely great news .
http://puntlandpost.net/2017/01/23/hayadda-msf-oo-muddo-ka-dib-ka-shaqo-bilaabaysa-puntland/

Bohol

VIP
@Thegoodshepherd Puntlanders are largely fishers and have large
coastline. Their fishing skills will properly come handy, all those nomads should be
evacuated to the coast and settled there. Puntland is actually more urbanized than Sland,
there is like hundreds of mini towns in the coast, were's Somaliland is more rural lots
of villages and big cities/towns.

Thegoodshepherd

VIP
@Duke of Bohol Puntland is more pastoral and rural than you might think. There are very few fishermen in Mudug or Nugaal, even in Bari less than 40% of rural people are fishermen. I know that Nugaal for example is probably above 2/3 pastoral or rural. I was reading a report from some ngo that Nugaal may have the highest proportion of any gobol of people that are pastoralists. The main problem in Puntland is actually overstocking and erosion, people want to raise an ever increasing numbers of livestock on land that is no longer as productive as it was decades ago. The trends do not look good either in Puntland or in eastern Somaliland. What happened in Sanaag a decade ago is now happening to Sool, Nugaal, Togdheer and Bari.

Bohol

VIP
@Thegoodshepherd So what do you think is the solution? I think nomadism should be abandoned altogether. Rather those ex nomads
should be taught how to raise chickens and fish, it can't be that hard. It is actually much easier lifestyle than chasing camels all your
life in the wilderness.

Thegoodshepherd

VIP
@Duke of Bohol The only solution to this problem is resettlement. Settle some in urban areas and send some to places like Gedo and Juboyinka I literally see no other option. This of course is not possible without a strong central government that can move hundreds of thousands of people, and I don't know how people in Jubaland would react to such a migration. Everything north of Beledweyne is probably not viable in the long run to be honest, it will probably be desert in 20 years.

I wonder what @Bahal thinks of bringing 200K people from Nugaal into Gedo?
:drakelaugh::lolbron:

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
@Duke of Bohol The only solution to this problem is resettlement. Settle some in urban areas and send some to places like Gedo and Juboyinka I literally see no other option. This of course is not possible without a strong central government that can move hundreds of thousands of people, and I don't know how people in Jubaland would react to such a migration. Everything north of Beledweyne is probably not viable in the long run to be honest, it will probably be desert in 20 years.

I wonder what @Bahal thinks of bringing 200K people from Nugaal into Gedo?
:drakelaugh::lolbron:

Somalia Somali baa leh :zhqjlmx:

I look forward to the day a kid from Gabiley gets a job in Jowhar and moves there like it's nothing.

:rejoice:

The problem is the diet. Find a way to lessen the demand of meat as it is not medically a necessity for optimal health, and bolster it with other cheaper protien sources like beans, fish, eggs. But something tells me it will be easier to ask for aid every year than to rid the pastoralist of his identity

TheLibertarianQuiche

Quintessentially negroid: Your problem?
@Thegoodshepherd So what do you think is the solution? I think nomadism should be abandoned altogether. Rather those ex nomads
should be taught how to raise chickens and fish, it can't be that hard. It is actually much easier lifestyle than chasing camels all your
life in the wilderness.

Nomadism is dying in PL. Most nomads live in towns near where their camels are and go to it everyday. As for the day to day checks on the camels that is done by the children.

@Thegoodshepherd Puntland is urban for its size population wise. @Duke of Bohol is right about PL being the most urban maamul goboleed.

TheLibertarianQuiche

Quintessentially negroid: Your problem?
The problem is the diet. Find a way to lessen the demand of meat as it is not medically a necessity for optimal health, and bolster it with other cheaper protien sources like beans, fish, eggs. But something tells me it will be easier to ask for aid every year than to rid the pastoralist of his identity

The thing is when I went to Somalia every tin shop sold canned tuna, beans and eggs. But s prefer fresh meat smh.

The thing is when I went to Somalia every tin shop sold canned tuna, beans and eggs. But s prefer fresh meat smh.
Forreal someone needs to start an education campaign there that you can survive without meat. Global warming is only going to intensify droughts so we might as well get used to the taste of fish sooner than later

The EU, the top funders of food aid to Somalia, has declared a state of pre-famine in Somalia. I find it very alarming that pre-famine is being declared in mid January a full 4 months before the expected rainy season.
http://reliefweb.int/report/somalia...t-dg-echo-un-echo-daily-flash-18-january-2017

Appeal for $864 million issued by UN, but it is difficult to see how that much money can be raised in 2 months. Almost half of the population of Somalia needs emergency food aid. There is no way in my opinion that some tens of thousands, at least, will not be reached in time. 1.2 million people in Mogadishu alone need emergency food aid!
http://reliefweb.int/report/somalia...-us864-million-appeal-reach-39-million-people

Map of hundreds of thousands in each gobol in need of food aid
SEHqjRq.png

:holeup:

why muqdisho?

Status
Not open for further replies.