The Realest of All Time
I saw this quote in another thread, then read the entire Wikipedia page. Our history is so nicehttps://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yusuf_bin_Ahmad_al-Kawneyn
Founder of Ifat, he was the sultan behind the first dynasty being Walashma. Adal later became multiethnic of Afar, Harari soldiers etc. But the founders and dynasties was ethnic Somalis. But they were very religious and arabized though.
A plaque of his name in Asia
- Sheikh Yusuf Al-Kawneyn was a Somali scholar who studied in Zayla and later in Iraq. As a result of his studies in Iraq, he was given the title of "Al Baghdadi" as well.
- He is also noted for having devised a Somali nomenclature for the Arabic vowels (Wadaad's writing).
- he has been described as "the most outstanding saint in northern Somalia"
- Sheikh Yusuf Al Kawneyn is also associated with the Walashma Dynasty of Ifat and Adal.
- The Walashma dynasty was a medieval Muslim dynasty of the Horn of Africa. It governed the Ifat and Adal Sultanates in what are present-day northern Somalia, Djibouti and eastern Ethiopia.
- Sheikh Yusuf is known as being the founder and ancestor of this royal family.
- The Shaykh has shrines dedicated to him: , in the Maldives
- Sri Lanka,
- in the town of Aw Barkhadle in northern Somalia,
- and also in a site called Qoranyale, near the town of Borama.
- ( And I think one in Harar too)