Would you marry a non Somali person?

Boqorada

F*ck Your Feelings
Calm down sis, you are starting to sound like some incely "internet tough guy" :drakekidding:
[/QUOTE]
tenor-1,227.gif
danyeer

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Thank you for the insight.

It seems that your cultural system is based almost purely on patriarchal lineages; our cultural system is contingent on blood and so the child of a foreign woman will always be associated with his mother -- the lineage of his father notwithstanding.

I grew up in the West but even I couldn't imagine supporting a half white 'Dinka' representing us on the international stage in any capacity. His father could be Garang and it wouldn't change my mind.

A half Congolese 'Dinka' would also be subject to similar social restrictions; we don't consider the Nuer and Shilluk-Anyuak to be distinct enough to apply this to children produced with them. The 61 other tribes in South Sudan are referred to as 'Jur' -> foreigner.

'Foreigner' in this instance refers to those tribes that are not children of our apocryphal ancestor, Deng... father of the Dinka-Nuer and Shilluk-Anyuak.

I should have clarified that the Dinka are the most extreme in this regard; our Nuer siblings even accept non-South Sudanese into their tribe as long as they shed their old identity and assume a Nuer name, link with a clan and swear loyalty.

Even with patrilineal descent in mind there is still some level of cultural or social discrimination that persists on both sides. Along with a questioning of who or rather what they are, especially to those that aesthetically stand out. I have never heard of someone foreign mixed that ever rose in political ranks as @Shimbiris mentioned and they have not represented the face of Somalia. I think we're very much insular as a whole evidenced by most Somalis being very monoethnic and genetically 95-100% Somali on 23andme. Somalia also has a 4.5 system where the 4 major ethnic Somali clans have political representation relative to the .5 ethnic minorities (non-ethnic Somali nationals), so there is some level of social stratification.

Even with patrilineal descent in mind there is still some level of cultural or social discrimination that persists on both sides. Along with a questioning of who or rather what they are, especially to those that aesthetically stand out. I have never heard of someone foreign mixed that ever rose in political ranks as @Shimbiris mentioned and they have not represented the face of Somalia. I think we're very much insular as a whole evidenced by most Somalis being very monoethnic and genetically 95-100% Somali on 23andme. Somalia also has a 4.5 system where the 4 major ethnic Somali clans have political representation relative to the .5 ethnic minorities (non-ethnic Somali nationals), so there is some level of social stratification.

Thank you for providing the details on Somali cultural practices.

It certainly clears things up and sort of re-assures me that my people are not uniquely restrictive when it comes to those of mixed heritage.

Our two cultures are not that different in regard to this matter; identity is based on paternal lineage; and mixed offspring are not accorded power and representation.

This may come across as socially retrogressive, but mixed people should always play second fiddle to their full counterparts; none of the ostensibly 'progressive' Western Nations actually like this multi-cultural ideology - because humans are naturally tribal.

reer

VIP
Well, he's an ignorant dolt and really should be banned if that's the case.

I'm glad I've always seen and appreciated the beauty in my own women and will never venture out of my Nation for a romantic relationship or marriage.
somali have a proverb. "marry what you know so you have offspring that you know"

somali have a proverb. "marry what you know so you have offspring that you know"

Exactly!

You can't conduct a proper background check on someone from another culture; I want to know the parents, grandparents (on both sides) and the moral histories of their families before I commit, and I can't know that from the outside.

Somalis are patriarchal, so they consider mixed ethnic Somalis with a Somali father as the only gender pair possessing a tribe. Having an ethnic Somali clan entitles one to political participation, unlike the South Sudanese, which might engage in protecting/policing the boundaries of their ethnic group more rigidly (blocking access to individuals of mixed backgrounds in terms of political involvement). The Somalis are a bit laxer in their stance, likely owning to cultural factors and faith. If we are honest mixed Somalis, including those with Somali fathers, might have their identity issues, and if their hue is western passing, they may experience internalized racism. The issue of looking white while having Somali ancestry is not widely known outside our community. Nevertheless, we hear the stories of the Somali parents whose children are thought not to be their own. This phenomenon extends to those who have a hard time blending into the Somali ethnic group, aka non-HOA. I would say other Horners, and, by extension, MENA groups or South Asians might have an easier time blending in than their European, East Asian/Pacific Islander/Southeast Asian, and non-HOA African counterparts. Mixed-race groups are a bit of a wild card. You do not know where their allegiances lie as their loyalties are divided. If they marry back into their non-Somali parents' group, they are essentially going to produce non-Somalis of Somali ancestry. This normally happens most of the time as we are not in Somalia, so the rule has not adapted to consider that half-Somalis even those with Somali fathers (that have a tribe) might have weaker ties to Somalinimo than their full Somali counterparts.
I would also argue that somalis still go off looks and genetics without somali mom it's hard to be raised in somali style. The father important only because he instills the name the lineage and the wealth. Somalis won't just turn a blind eye to man reproducing with foreigners or else they marry out and use love is love like their female counterparts we are homogenous in heterogenous environment I.e HOA. It shows we like to practice endogenous relationships.

Thank you for providing the details on Somali cultural practices.

It certainly clears things up and sort of re-assures me that my people are not uniquely restrictive when it comes to those of mixed heritage.

Our two cultures are not that different in regard to this matter; identity is based on paternal lineage; and mixed offspring are not accorded power and representation.

This may come across as socially retrogressive, but mixed people should always play second fiddle to their full counterparts; none of the ostensibly 'progressive' Western Nations actually like this multi-cultural ideology - because humans are naturally tribal.
It because reassure their survival with their offspring wanna share wealth with mini me or look alike the west feminized society but giving women more access to children and attacked fatherhood. Hence baby mama culture. This why today more people would identify more with the mother than the father which was never heard of 50 to 100 years ago.

I'm not Somali, I'm an Oromo, but I'd prefer to marry a fellow Horner [Somali/Harari/Gurage/Eritrean/etc] but, overall, I'd marry a Muslim woman of any ethnicity.

Trending