Will you let your children drink alcohol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodKnowsBest

Somaliweyn Unionist
I'm not anti-drinking. I'm ok with moderation. I'd worry about irresponsible drinking and addiction.

Parental authority isn't forever, but it's important in the formative years. It seems suddenly many ppl don't want to be or don't think they need to be a parent when its consumption-based (drugs/sex/alcohol). The repercussions for that exist well beyond the year they hit 18, but the fact is prohibitive methods don't work, and thinking your child won't dabble is extremely naive, or you're smoking some zoot your damn self. I'd want them to be straight with me, hypothetically.
Preventative measures work if you keep it away from them until their formative years are almost over. All my friends who had been sheltered until now don't feel the need to become wild. Don't let them go out to parties, make sure your kids don't leave without a sibling. etc. It worked on me, worked on my friends, worked on my parents. It doesn't work if you aren't constantly watching them.

GodKnowsBest

Somaliweyn Unionist
:drakelaugh: A Somali ader driver damn

My story involves bushes too sorta kkk. I had my first experience with the devil's nectar in the woods, camping. That night I thought the dry lightning would strike me where I stood, but if it did at least I was warm and it was pretty :mjlol:

@supz
loool. i had a similar experience. i thought that God would incinerate me there and then.

I wonder what it is about Islam and being killed on the spot by God. On the night I converted I feared being killed on the spot as well if Allah were truly God. I think the violence in the religion should be enough for most people to open their eyes. God should be the last person you fear in a religion. I'm happy I don't fear God anymore, rather I see him as a mentor, somebody who cares for me, and wants the best for me. When I pray nowadays I pray as if I'm conversing rather than as if I'm speaking to somebody who cannot connect with me.

@supz

I wonder what it is about Islam and being killed on the spot by God. On the night I converted I feared being killed on the spot as well if Allah were truly God. I think the violence in the religion should be enough for most people to open their eyes. God should be the last person you fear in a religion. I'm happy I don't fear God anymore, rather I see him as a mentor, somebody who cares for me, and wants the best for me. When I pray nowadays I pray as if I'm conversing rather than as if I'm speaking to somebody who cannot connect with me.
Of course you should fear God cause you're doing a bad thing and you know that

GodKnowsBest

Somaliweyn Unionist
Of course you should fear God cause you're doing a bad thing and you know that
Let those without sin cast the first stone. I do not fear God in the same manner Muslims fear God, I am vulnerable in the face of God because I know he can protect me from my sins. I don't feel that God owes me anything unlike the god of Islam who makes Muslims feel if they prevent themselves from sin they are entitled to rewards (like 72 virgins).

Let those without sin cast the first stone. I do not fear God in the same manner Muslims fear God, I am vulnerable in the face of God because I know he can protect me from my sins. I don't feel that God owes me anything unlike the god of Islam who makes Muslims feel if they prevent themselves from sin they are entitled to rewards (like 72 virgins).
So you're saying there is no heaven in Christianity :what1:

SomaliWadaniSoldier

Weeping for the Nation of 68
Interahamwe
VIP
Yes on one condition:
Not to call me dad anymore and not to enter my house ever.

The day they drink alcohol or the day they leave islam is the day they dont exist for me anymore.

I don't see the harm in a sip here and there, when they're the right age then they can have a glass. I noticed the most stable ppl around alcohol in my friend groups were the ones where they're parents actually made sure to have them drink under supervision first.

I've noticed Europeans tend to be more relaxed around alcohol as well in comparison to north Americans, isn't the legal drinking age at 21 in the states? Yikes

Either way I don't want them sneaking out and hiding under bushes like I did lmao or becoming alcoholics like so many other Somalis unaccustomed to drinking
Wait... you're not Muslim

To be fair, the West has a binge culture. Most young people drink to get drunk. I'm not talking about beers during the day or with a meal, more so pres.

Codeine,
Yeah mate, the binge culture is astounding but it's mainly isolated to young people, while within the Somali community, the drinkers mostly happen to binge regardless of their age. I can't stand the smell of alcohol.

I'm relatively new to this site, could you've please list your experiences as a non Muslim somali. Both within your family and your day to day life

Huh I'm not sure how to answer that. I wasn't born into a non Muslim family if that's what you're asking, i was raised Muslim and left a couple of years ago.

My day to day experience has been mostly unremarkable? Lol it's not really made much of a difference other than a subtle change in family dynamics. My parents and sibs mostly ignore the fact that im not a Muslim and i do my best to avoid any deen related topics

Huh I'm not sure how to answer that. I wasn't born into a non Muslim family if that's what you're asking, i was raised Muslim and left a couple of years ago.

My day to day experience has been mostly unremarkable? Lol it's not really made much of a difference other than a subtle change in family dynamics. My parents and sibs mostly ignore the fact that im not a Muslim and i do my best to avoid any deen related topics
if you was my daughter I would've raised to be a god fearing pious woman with morals

Oh right ok I get what you mean, Your parents and immediate family seemed to have handle it quite well. How did you inform them though?

Status
Not open for further replies.