Why is Kismayo so small and undeveloped?

Kismayo used to be 3rd biggest city in Somalia before 1991. Now it's not even in the top 10 biggest cities of Somalia. Kismayo which has a sea port was liberated from shabaab almost a decade ago and is peaceful compared to other towns in southern Somalia, but still the town hasn't developed at all. Some friend of mine said certain somali clans don't possess mental capabilities to build a thriving economy and are so called "dowlad ku nool". I guess he was right.

mr steal your naag

banu hashim and shiettt
VIP
Kismayo used to be 3rd biggest city in Somalia before 1991. Now it's not even in the top 10 biggest cities of Somalia. Kismayo which has a sea port was liberated from shabaab almost a decade ago and is peaceful compared to other towns in southern Somalia, but still the town hasn't developed at all. Some friend of mine said certain somali clans don't possess mental capabilities to build a thriving economy and are so called "dowlad ku nool". I guess he was right.
Kismayo was never ever the 3rd biggest city of somalia. There are more then 7 or 8 cities that are bigger then kismayo

Kismayo was attacked and robbed for many years in the 1990s, an alliance of Marehans and Cayr/Habar Gidir captured the city (Jubba Valley Alliance/JVA). Eventually they were kicked out by the natives and that's how Jubbaland was created.

Even in recent years, Farmaajo's government placed a flight blockade on the city.

Kismaayo has immense potential, it has just been sabotaged time and time again by a group of people who are obsessed with gaining a port city/access to the coast because they are landlocked.

Last edited:
The first Somali tribes to settle in Kismayo were Harti and Absame. There was no Somali group in that region prior to their arrival. Thereafter, the Harti invited Galjecel and Cawramale to look after the camels as the Harti were merchants and wanted to focus on that instead of livestock rearing.

The only group that can claim to be the 'originals' are not even Somali, they are Swahili aka the Bajuunis and they still live in the Bajuuni islands off the coast of Jubbaland.

Look at the original neighborhoods of Kismayo and you will see who the original inhabitants are. All newcomers live in newer neighborhoods such as the illegal settlement called 'Xaafada Guulwadde', this was built after 1991 by the invading JVA Alliance. This land was originally used as military barracks by Somalia's Government.

Kismayo was attacked and robbed for many years in the 1990s, an alliance of Marehans and Cayr/Habar Gidir captured the city (Jubba Valley Alliance/JVA). Eventually they were kicked out by the natives and that's how Jubbaland was created.

Even in recent years, Farmaajo's government placed a flight blockade on the city.

Kismaayo has immense potential, it has just been sabotaged time and time again by a group of people who are obsessed with gaining a port city/access to the coast because they are landlocked.
. Gaalkacyo and Baydhabo are both inland cities and both saw much more destruction and violence than Kismayo yet they are more bigger and developed Kismayo. Explain this.

. Gaalkacyo and Baydhabo are both inland cities and both saw much more destruction and violence than Kismayo yet they are more bigger and developed Kismayo. Explain this.

Galkacyo is the central city of Somalia and even during tensions, business is usually left uninterrupted. As for Baydhabo, I can't speak on that town, I have no clue.

cow

VIP
it was the 4th biggest in the 90's and early 2000s up until 2012 it was the 4th biggest. when the fircoon madoobe on the back of kenyan tanks entered the city is when the city started going downhill and other cities like baidabo over took it.

when madoobe and his kenyan protectors are kicked out i have no doubt the city will go back to being 3rd biggest within 10 years. do you know around 100,000 marehan from kismaayo have gone to mogadishu because of madoobe and KDF. they will go back soon.

Removed

Gif-King
VIP
Its grown by about 40% since the Sayid took back control of it. Land prices also multiplied this place needs to rival Jigjiga as best city in the Somali realm.
Galkacyo is the central city of Somalia and even during tensions, business is usually left uninterrupted. As for Baydhabo, I can't speak on that town, I have no clue.
Baydhabos population is ridiculously inflated online the right number is rural the left is total.
DAC41EF8-B90C-4C51-8F98-A69C0173E969.jpeg

it was the 4th biggest in the 90's and early 2000s up until 2012 it was the 4th biggest. when the fircoon madoobe on the back of kenyan tanks entered the city is when the city started going downhill and other cities like baidabo over took it.

when madoobe and his kenyan protectors are kicked out i have no doubt the city will go back to being 3rd biggest within 10 years. do you know around 100,000 marehan from kismaayo have gone to mogadishu because of madoobe and KDF. they will go back soon.

messi-laughing.gif

cow

VIP
I dont think kismayo was ever bigger then burco-bosaso-galkayo-beletweyn-jowhar-baidoa-merka

kismaayo is still bigger then merka, bosaaso and gaalkacyo go to google earth sxb. Burco and baidoa are now bigger then kismaayo.

but kismaayo is a more strategic city, places like burco and baidoa have stability and a good maamul which is the reason for their success. kismaayo is missing a good maamul, which inshallah will come soon when kenyans and somali kenyans are kicked out. it has also lost a lot of population in the last 10 years while burco and baidao where growing in the last 10 years.

mr steal your naag

banu hashim and shiettt
VIP
kismaayo is still bigger then merka, bosaaso and gaalkacyo go to google earth sxb. Burco and baidoa are now bigger then kismaayo.

but kismaayo is a more strategic city, places like burco and baidoa have stability and a good maamul which is the reason for their success. kismaayo is missing a good maamul, which inshallah will come soon when kenyans and somali kenyans are kicked out. it has also lost a lot of population in the last 10 years while burco and baidao where growing in the last 10 years.
Dude merka is huge just look on google maps. So when are the next JL elections?

I think Al-Kebab still has a large influence on Kismaayo, hence why it hasn't seen growth like other major cities. Also, doesn't Al-Kebab have control of all the areas surrounding Kismaayo Essentially cutting it off from other major cities? Big blow to it's development.

Trending