Why is arabic the official language in Somalia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Mercury
Because we are in the Arab League. Despite this, outside of dugsi, Arabic is hardly used by ethnic Somalis. In schools, English is used and Italian was a former language of schooling post-independence.

If the education system in Somalia is reformed in the future, Classical Arabic should be limited to dugsi and religious studies only, whilst English and Italian (and maybe Turkish, due to the strengthening relations between our countries) should be learnt in schools at secondary level alongside the Somali language so as to aid commercial and economic development. I wouldn’t mind other Cushitic languages being taught either, so as to ensure neither of our languages weaken or even go extinct in the future.

arabic is not the official language, official business is done in somali,newspapers are in somali,tv in somali,people speak somali.
wow so much ignorance in the diaspora.

VIP
Somalis would have been building there country right now if it was not for Ethiopia invading us in 2006. The one time in over 18 years Somalia was actually united under one flag and it gets destroyed because it's deemed a "terrorist group" for having Sharia govern Somalia.:(

You're joking, right? Not one person with a brain wants to be governed by archaic rules

Arabic is a much more power language and a lingua franca both in the middle east and africa. There is no point in complicating Somali vocabulary for the sake of it. If anything, Somalis should emphasise the language in school. This will make transitioning into further academy infinitely easier. The whole world is globalizing and you guys want to isolate yourselves because you're afraid of being called Arab on twitter 2.0

:what1:

Reer-Bari

COMMANDER OF THE PUNTLAND DEFENCE TEAM
Majority of Somalis can’t speak Arabic at all only know a few Arabic words but not enough to hold a conversation

The only Somalis that can speak Arabic are the ones who have lived in an Arabic country or Somalis who are Xamar cadcad
its a secondary language its not a big deal. plus in canada the second language is french. on average more somalis know arabic in somalia than canadians know french in canada.

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
Arabic is a much more power language and a lingua franca both in the middle east and africa. There is no point in complicating Somali vocabulary for the sake of it. If anything, Somalis should emphasise the language in school. This will make transitioning into further academy infinitely easier. The whole world is globalizing and you guys want to isolate yourselves because you're afraid of being called Arab on twitter 2.0

:what1:

Dont you have any national pride and sense of honor?

Other cultures made their language what they are. We have to do the same for Af Somali

Name a completely isolated country with a small population that's somewhat successful? Sub-saharan on top of that is completely knee-capping yourself.
:kanyehmm:

Your pride in your nation and ethnicity is too fragile if it's disrupted by a relevant second language. There is nothing wrong in taking from others as long as you benefit from it.

You said somalia my g. So majority of young puntlanders speak arabic then?
In waqooyi and Puntland. From uula to College arabic is taught.
Just cause mosr people on here have lost their language doesnt mean the kids back home have forgotten it. They all speak fluent somali alongside learning af somalk which ia the hardest class in school. They also are able to understand english as it is taught in secondary and onwards. Arabic is also taught in malcamda.
@Reer-Bari . were you suprised as how almost all the young folks were educated and have diplomas in Islamic studies. Or the fact that i would say almost 60 of the youth are college educated or attending school. The lowest tier being diploma of something.
So people have an anti arab agenda on here. Arabic helps you understand islam. Its the language of the Holy quran and sunnah

its a secondary language its not a big deal. plus in canada the second language is french. on average more somalis know arabic in somalia than canadians know french in canada.

not true,not even 1% unless you emphazising some words like' a salaam caleyk or al xamdulila etc'. arabic learnt in school is nothing more than to pass grades. after school in real life no one knows much unless you grew up in arabia.

Reer-Bari

not true,not even 1% unless you emphazising some words like' a salaam caleyk or al xamdulila etc'. arabic learnt in school is nothing more than to pass grades. after school in real life no one knows much unless you grew up in arabia.
lol my wife is fluent in arabic and she learned it in middle school and high school. she is 19, lol relax

Reer-Bari

In waqooyi and Puntland. From uula to College arabic is taught.
Just cause mosr people on here have lost their language doesnt mean the kids back home have forgotten it. They all speak fluent somali alongside learning af somalk which ia the hardest class in school. They also are able to understand english as it is taught in secondary and onwards. Arabic is also taught in malcamda.
@Reer-Bari . were you suprised as how almost all the young folks were educated and have diplomas in Islamic studies. Or the fact that i would say almost 60 of the youth are college educated or attending school. The lowest tier being diploma of something.
So people have an anti arab agenda on here. Arabic helps you understand islam. Its the language of the Holy quran and sunnah
almost every one attends school in the major cities. almost 70%. puplic school is free but private is not.

almost every one attends school in the major cities. almost 70%. puplic school is free but private is not.
We are talking to people who were born here or havent seen Somalia in like 20 yrs.
Waa war layihin. I try to give them my experience but they see fake shit.

lol my wife is fluent in arabic and she learned it in middle school and high school. she is 19, lol relax

no she is not! have neva seen someone learned arabic in somalia and r fluent,and even if that true its rare,,she must be very intelligent.

Status
Not open for further replies.