Why is arabic the official language in Somalia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Invader

👾pʅɹoʍ pǝʇɐʅǝxᴉd ɐ uᴉ ƃuᴉʌᴉʅ👾
Modern Standard Arabic is like Classical Latin or Koine/Hellenistic Greek. Nobody speaks it at home and Arabs will view you as being pretentious or snobby if you speak to them in MSA. They will also feel ashamed for not being able to reply back in good quality MSA.

Most Arab countries have their own lively dialects. Somalia has no Arabic dialect (Yemeni Arabic from people who lived in Yemen doesn't count), so Somali people only learn/know MSA.
I meant the migrants who come to the country are usually Yemeni :umwhat:

Timo Jareer and proud

2nd Emir of the Akh Right Movement
Modern Standard Arabic is like Classical Latin or Koine/Hellenistic Greek. Nobody speaks it at home and Arabs will view you as being pretentious or snobby if you speak to them in MSA. They will also feel ashamed for not being able to reply back in good quality MSA.

Most Arab countries have their own lively dialects. Somalia has no Arabic dialect (Yemeni Arabic from people who lived in Yemen doesn't count), so Somali people only learn/know MSA.
Somalis used to speak either the Hejaz or the Yemeni dialect of Arabic (depending on location in Somaliweyn) in tell colonization.

Apollo

VIP
Somalis used to speak either the Hejaz or the Yemeni dialect of Arabic (depending on location in Somaliweyn) in tell colonization.

They mostly only learn/know fusha. Somalis mostly don't speak dialectal Arabic unless they have lived in an Arab country (many, but that doesn't affect most still in the Horn who never have).

Caraweelo

President of the Secular Republic of Somalia
Getting rid of Arabic is also getting rid of your Deen .The only thing I agree with you in is getting rid of Italian loan words. We should not have gaalo loan words in our language at all.

Turks most of them are muslims and they don't speak arabic because they translate the whole religion in their turk language even they use their language in athan. there are many examples of other muslim countries that they don't understand or use arabic, did they all lost their religion????

if you feel inferior to arabs that's your problem but I support using af Somali in everything and reduce the use of foreign languages. we need to learn and embrace our own language and culture or else our language will disappear in the future.

Timo Jareer and proud

They mostly only learn/know fusha. Somalis mostly don't speak dialectal Arabic unless they have lived in an Arab country (many, but that doesn't affect most still in the Horn who never have).
I am pretty sure Somalis (at least in Woqooyi Galbeed & Awal) where speaking Yemeni Arabic as a second language before the formation of British Somaliland.

We should remove Arabic as an official language and update Af Somali. Some countries have linguistic institutions whose sole purpose is to come up with new words and keep the language up to date. We should do the same. I don't know about you, but I want Somalia to be one of the most powerful countries in the world. In order to do that you have to have three different types of influence on a global scale.

1. Linguistic influence
2. cultural influence
3. Economic influence

America and other western countries have linguistic, cultural and economic influence and are therefore powerful nations.

Linguistic dominance shift. English now is the lingua franca of the world but it hasn't always been that way. We should invest in Somali and try to influence at least Africa. And as for Arabic, only classical Arabic should be thought in school. Somalis would then have a better understanding of Islam and also it would scale down Arab influence since most Arabs can't speak classical Arabic.

Turks most of them are muslims and they don't speak arabic because they translate the whole religion in their turk language even they use their language in athan. there are many examples of other muslim countries that they don't understand or use arabic, did they all lost their religion????

if you feel inferior to arabs that's your problem but I support using af Somali in everything and reduce the use of foreign languages. we need to learn and embrace our own language and culture or else our language will disappear in the future.
The Turks, Persians, Bosnians & Kurds are different to Somalis, in the sense that they're predominately culturalists/nationalists & secular; most are just "Muslim" by name. They put nation over religion, i suspect because these people have always had a very strong National/cultural identity that existed before Islam came.

Somalis are the complete opposite, since we place Islam over ethnicity & culture.

Timo Jareer and proud

If they are using Turkish in the athan that is clearly haram. And Turkey is a very non religious country. The Hijab was even banned there in tell a couple of years ago. Comparing Somalia to Turkey is a bad comparison.

And I don't have a inferior complex to Arabs lol.

Last edited:

Timo Jareer and proud

Why not uplift the Somali language and make it a high-quality language with advanced vocabulary and control it through an academic institute as the French do:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Académie_française
If we are going to do that we should at least abondon the Latin script for Aff Soomali. We should use a script that we ourselves came up with. Like the Borama script for example.

Caraweelo

The Turks, Persians, Bosnians & Kurds are different to Somalis, in the sense that they're predominately culturalists/nationalists & secular; most are just "Muslim" by name. They put nation over religion, i suspect because these people have always had a very strong National/cultural identity that existed before Islam came.

Somalis are the complete opposite, since we place Islam over ethnicity & culture.

These nations are better than us because they value and respect their culture and history while us somalis we are trying to arabization our culture instead of embracing our somali culture and history while keeping the religion. being a nationalist and religious person is not against each other.

Caraweelo

If they are using Turkish in the athan that is clearly haram. And Turkey is a very non religious country. The Hijab was even banned there in tell a couple of years ago. Comparing Somalia to Turkey is a bad comparison.

And I don't have a inferior complex to Arabs lol.

Turkey is better than us somalis. they build their country while us still killing and hating on each other.

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
Not really Somali is spoken 99% of the time I'm pretty sure that 30 minutes a day won't affect their Somali

To a certain extent. Arabic, being associated with Islam can remove Af Somali although not straight away but it would take time. The argument would be how Qur'an was revealed in Arabic. This will have a mental impact in the long run

Timo Jareer and proud

Turkey is better than us somalis. they build their country while us still killing and hating on each other.
Somalis would have been building there country right now if it was not for Ethiopia invading us in 2006. The one time in over 18 years Somalia was actually united under one flag and it gets destroyed because it's deemed a "terrorist group" for having Sharia govern Somalia.:(

@Mercury because we joined the Arab league, we simply have it for economic reasons but it's also for higher education I would think. I think we should have it as 2nd language after Somali.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending