Why do mixed Somalis perpetuate the same stereotype about being bullied for being Somali?

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Also, it is important to note that despite their mistakes as children both have proudly represented Somalia in their public adult lives.

Ramla has always repped the Somali flag her entire fighting career and has now recently been signed by Matchroom Boxing/DAZN (Eddie Hearn), alongside the likes of Anthony Joshua.

Maya has always credited her Somali identity in interviews as well as the impact her ayeeyo and eedos had on her.

Both them made grave mistakes in the past but now they talk more about Somalia than Mo Farah.

You got bullied for being an outsider

It wasn't because you were Somali it was because you were different.
you do realise that no amount of fitting in and assimilated won't change the fact that ur a minority. it's understandable that these women are claiming another ethnicity. it's like that episode of degrassi where the somali girl lied about being jamaican because she was ashamed of being muslim lol

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
it's like that episode of degrassi where the somali girl lied about being jamaican because she was ashamed of being muslim lol

Wallahi I remember the Degrassi re-runs on ABC3.

I remember that episode when she "accepts" her identity and takes part in that cultural expo.

:mjlaugh:

I was always very proud of my Somali side. Trying to hide part your heritage because you're embarrassed of getting mocked is the epitome of self hate:wtfdis:

As I have said already, we need to make a time machine and go back to 200s era of Uk and karbaash these school kids, so we don’t have to deal with these cringy news and sentiments by reer Fish and Chips

I can definitely tell you that it's not anti-Somali or hatred of Somalis as an ethnicity.

But rather Islamophobic people or people who saw Somalia jokes as easy laughs.

My siblings recently finished school and they never have these sort of problems. I think it was just a product of that 2010-2016 time period coinciding with my later school years in a suburb with minimal Somalis or Muslims.

No, it's definitely due to being Somali and it was almost always from blacks, I'm guessing they thought it wouldn't be racist or whatever cos we're both darkskin.

Asians and Arabs didn't get anywhere near the same treatment.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
No, it's definitely due to being Somali and it was almost always from blacks, I'm guessing they thought it wouldn't be racist or whatever cos we're both darkskin.

Asians and Arabs didn't get anywhere near the same treatment.

In that post, I was clearly talking about my own experiences in an cadaan majority school in Australia.

I was not making comment on UK experiences. Idk what you and @celidheere thought.

4head

The one and only 4head
VIP
Sspot always comes up with newly created stereotypes.
Out of all of my cousins, most of whom here are mixed, none was harassed or bullied for being Somali.
Could be a Diaspora thing, thus not universal.

I was never bullied for being Somali but I mean I had a few people openly mock the famines in front of me. I also even got a lot of open Islamophobia from teachers, in which they would call Islam a non-peaceful religion or try fish for my views on certain world events.

I'm talking about schools that are in upper-middle class cadaan suburbs during 2010-2016. During that period, we had a famine, Captain Phillips as well as Tony Abbott claiming Muslims need to align with Australian values.

I am not saying this experience is the majority, far from it. But I am saying I believe Maya and Ramla when they say they got a hard time in school for their identity because there are many ajnabis who have prejudiced views of us who will pass it down to their kids.

Remember Maya grew up in Bristol which does not have a large Somali or Muslim community. Her experience will be vastly different to someone from NW London who has the privilege of seeing people that look like them at their school.

Bristol actually has a sizeable somali community

Aight, then there's no defending this.

I tried my best Maya but all I ask in return is for you to convince Ben Simmons to play for AUS more.

:kanyehmm:

The era she grew up in was v.peak for our people in the UK , cause we didn't fit in as 'black' so we were essentially marginalized. Things are different now though , alx.

Bruh only UK people are complaining about being bullied in High School because of their heritage.
Is it reaaally that bad?
And most of you guys seem to agree that they were black instead of white, no wonder some of you guys do not like BLM and support Boris Johnson. :mjlaugh:

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
When people catch me doing something good I tell them I'm somali,

But if I'm caught doing bad stuff I tell them I'm a Nigerian :mjlol:

I say I'm Axmaar. "I am from Bahir Dar! My name is Ayele Hailemariam! I am an Ethiopian national!"

giphy.gif

Trending

Latest posts