Why are Somalis so xenophobic ?

That makes me wonder, what exactly is a Somali?
If it's not an ethnic identity then is it a cultural one like Arabs??

The identity and more specifically 'definition' of Arab have been diluted so much that any- and everyone can be Arab nowadays. It doesn't even compare to being Somali in the slightest. We barely even recognize shisheeye Somalis, such as Oromos, even if they assimilate into our society in all aspects unless they belong to a Somali clan. Or have lived with us for centuries (as non-ethnic Somalis) and the only identity they know today is Somali.

So i see this beautiful wedding on my fyp, and instead of saying mashallah look what these xenophobic somalis are doing

View attachment 294365
View attachment 294366View attachment 294367

Like i just don’t understand what is the need for these comments? Barawe people are Somalis, because they’re from Somalia. In what other countries are native ethnic minority stopped from claiming their nationality?
Non somalis are not native to somalia and they are not somali and also somali ppl saying non Somali are not somali is not xenophobic or racist they telling TRUE which non somali ppl aren't somali

You can be a Somali either by ethnicity or nationality, and culturally to a certain extent.

What is the foundation of our unity then?
It's not the language since maxaa tiri iyo af maay are quite different, not ethnicity wise since all the clans have no one common ancestor.

If it is the culture, that is a very weak foundation for unity since culture changes over time.
We don't have a one idea that unites us all, nor are we claiming that all the land belong to all somalis, every man for themselves.

This is why I scoff at any nationalist trying to create a somalia based on inhabited land. Somalia, Ethiopia and all other mentally weak nations will never thrive without a solid base of unity.

Reer xamar/barawe groups are Somali nationally and culturally like Bantu Somalis

-but their identity are not close to ours since their origins takes place in a different roots.

Since they’ve assimilated for centuries their part of our society; they’re Somali.

Going by genetics it’d be a different discussion for that matter.
They arent

It's not the language since maxaa tiri iyo af maay are quite different, not ethnicity wise since all the clans have no one common ancestor.

If it is the culture, that is a very weak foundation for unity since culture changes over time.
We don't have a one idea that unites us all, nor are we claiming that all the land belong to all somalis, every man for themselves.

This is why I scoff at any nationalist trying to create a somalia based on inhabited land. Somalia, Ethiopia and all other mentally weak nations will never thrive without a solid base of unity.
Foundation our Unity is patrilineage and non somalis aren't part of it

Foundation our Unity is patrilineage and non somalis aren't part of it

That is a weak foundation that can collapse any instance. If you give me a proper answer to this or find a new foundation then, my friend, you have solved all of Somalias problems.

You don't have to solve everything literally but by answering that you will open the gates for all these new ideas that can flourish and develop from your foundation.

This is how empires are created

Unity of Somalis or unity of Somalia?

Who's to say that there aren't any unity in Somalia? The people of Somalia are centered around the Somali identity in one way or another, some by ethnicity, other by nationality, language etc. However, the majority of us (AKA ethnic Somalis) fall into all categories while minorities may not.

Also, this only applies to people who've live with us for a longer period of time (>100 years) and have some recognition of having ties to us, such as a Somali-Bantu who may not be ethnic, but are culturally, linguistically and/or nationally Somali. An immigrant, for instance, can not settle here tomorrow and use nationality or language to claim kinship with us.

How's Somalia mentally weak? I'd understand Ethiopia considering how there are no majority ethnic group, but that doesn't apply in Somalia. Out biggest divisive factor is our clan based identities.

Last edited:
That is a weak foundation that can collapse any instance. If you give me a proper answer to this or find a new foundation then, my friend, you have solved all of Somalias problems.

You don't have to solve everything literally but by answering that you will open the gates for all these new ideas that can flourish and develop from your foundation.

This is how empires are created
Unity by patrilineage is not weak there is no other answer nationality is the weak Unity since non somalis can claim somali and somali ppl lands and also i think empires have fallen by minorities claiming to themselves and rule it

Who's to say that there aren't any unity in Somalia? The people of Somalia are centered around the Somali identity in one way or another, some by ethnicity, other by nationality, language etc. However, the majority of us (AKA ethnic Somalis) fall into all categories while minorities may not.

Also, this only applies to people who've live with us for a longer period of time, such as a Somali-Bantu who may not be ethnic, but are culturally, linguistically and nationally Somali. An immigrant, for instance, can not settle here and use nationality or language to claim kinship with us.

How's Somalia mentally weak? I'd understand Ethiopia considering how there are no majority ethnic group, but that doesn't apply in Somalia. Out biggest divisive factor is our clan based identities.

@adventurequestworlds1.0.2 Why did you downvote? You don't believe that minorities (non-ethnic Somalis) belong to Somalia or can relate to being Somali?

Also, this only applies to people who've live with us for a longer period of time, such as a Somali-Bantu who may not be ethnic, but are culturally, linguistically and nationally Somali. An immigrant, for instance, can not settle here and use nationality or language to claim kinship with us.

@adventurequestworlds1.0.2 this is for you too

I'll simplify it for you;
All forms of conflict stem from disunity,
Disunity stems from distrust,
Distrust stems from disagreement
And disagreement stems from misunderstanding.

What is it that is misunderstood?
Simple for the case of Somalia, what on earth is a Somali?

Your above answer for this question is incorrect try again.

I can tell you the answer if you want to hear it.

I'll simplify it for you;
All forms of conflict stem from disunity,
Disunity stems from distrust,
Distrust stems from disagreement
And disagreement stems from misunderstanding.

What is it that is misunderstood?
Simple for the case of Somalia, what on earth is a Somali?

Your above answer for this question is incorrect try again.

I can tell you the answer if you want to hear it.

Incorrect? Is there a correct definition, lol? Tell us what you consider to be Somali first?

Trending