Why are Somalis so xenophobic ?

I don't blame people for being unaware. Most of us don't speak loudly about ourselves and we often refrain from FKD. I'm generally guarded about our history and not as apt to share that much.
Lol, I was going by what read from Burton. He made the Cisse sound very volatile, especially towards the Isaaq and Samaroon. I know they probably weren’t miskeen, Somalis regardless especially when a big clan are rarely miskeen and can hold their own.

Sis, why are you guarded? Are we not all Somali? It would be nice to know about he Samaroon. You lot probably have the best rep in all of Somalia. Growing up i’ll I’d hear is how educated you lot are.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Lol, I was going by what read from Burton. He made the Cisse sound very volatile, especially towards the Isaaq and Samaroon. I know they probably weren’t miskeen, Somalis regardless especially when a big clan are rarely miskeen and can hold their own.

Sis, why are you guarded? Are we not all Somali? It would be nice to know about he Samaroon. You lot probably have the best rep in all of Somalia. Growing up i’ll I’d hear is how educated you lot are.
Burton had his biases and wasn't very fond of the more insular clans that were unfriendly to him.

Somalis are interesting. However, they are not some monolith and not all subscribe to some notion of ethnic brotherhood. They could be friendly one minute and go rogue the next due to some disagreement. I've been online long enough to see the swinging pendulum between clans from ally to adversary (often from a disagreement followed by a series of emotionally fueled ad hominins exchanged). As far as information goes quite a bit is available online for public consumption but some information is gated and within the clan. I find nothing wrong with that.

Burton had his biases and wasn't very fond of the more insular clans that were unfriendly to him.

Somalis are interesting. However, they are not some monolith and not all subscribe to some notion of ethnic brotherhood. They could be friendly one minute and go rogue the next due to some disagreement. I've been online long enough to see the swinging pendulum between clans from ally to adversary (often from a disagreement followed by a series of emotionally fueled ad hominins exchanged). As far as information goes quite a bit is available online for public consumption but some information is gated and within the clan. I find nothing wrong with that.
From what I remember from the book, I think it was the Cisse compared to the Gadabursi who had the most unflattering portrayal. I can’t remember anything about the Gadabursi he said that indicated any dislike. The Issa where shown to look positively feral.

I know we’re not a monolith which was what I was telling one poster. I was saying that we weren’t united. But, I’m sure we all saw each other as similar and being off the same heritage due to language and culture. But fighting, having our own separate leaderships ect was the norm it seems and I’m not surprised. Even till this day, there isn’t much of an ethnic brotherhood, as recent events have shown. Personally, I think it’s rather pathetic as the clans that hate each other the most amongst Somalis tend to be the heavily related with high intermarriages. Effectively, people are hating on the clans of their mothers and grandmothers. Many clans especially the ones that bordered each other intermarried at alarming rates but they’d be fighting each other the most.

As for you point about information being guarded, clans have a right to do that although it doesn’t make sense to me in the slightest, but things don’t have to make sense.

Also, are Samaroons Dir and there therefore share the same clan as Cisse? Aren’t you heavily related to them? It similarly to let’s say MJ and Dhulbahante?

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I know we’re not a monolith which was what I was telling one poster. I was saying that we weren’t united. But, I’m sure we all saw each other as similar and being of the same heritage due to language and culture. But fighting, having our own separate leaderships ect was the norm it seems and I’m not surprised. Even till this day, there isn’t much of an ethnic brotherhood, as recent events have shown.
I agree. It's a sad reality hence why I'm more of a pragmatist when dealing with Somalis. Some of the them grew up with war stories and are suffering from the residuals of PTSD from the war so can't say I blame them. Most are cool with Samaroon for the most part but I've seen the mask slip up when online. It was an interesting sight to see. :deadrose:
As for you point about information being guarded, clans have a right to do that although it doesn’t make sense to me in the slightest, but things don’t have to make sense.
It makes sense to me because obviously the truth steps on some toes. I like to keep the peace so I keep that information within the tol.
Also, are Samaroons Dir and there therefore share the same clan as Cisse? Aren’t you heavily related to them?
Being Dir in an area where most people are Dir doesn't always necessitate being allies. Samaroon see each other as a brotherly clan (internally) and for that reason their infighting does not result in the shedding of blood. In fact killing a fellow Samaroon would have meant permanent banishment and being disinherited.

I can't say that dynamic exists between Cissa and Samaroon. These clans have grown so large that Dir is not enough of a unifying force. That label makes more sense in Central Somalia or Southern Somalia where they are more scattered and where there are many rivals of other clans.

Look at Djibouti. Samaroon are politically allied with the Afar. Why is that? Don't get me wrong I think it would be smart if Cissa and Samaroon moved past old rivalries but I'm a pragmatist. I think first they should focus on the internal dynamics within their clans and then maybe consider that.
It similarly to let’s say MJ and Dhulbahante?
That isn't an equivalent comparison (both are Harti). Harti and Dir are not comparable. Also, Samaroon and Cissa do not really strongly identify with Dir and even then belong to separate branches of Dir not the same one.

I agree. It's a sad reality hence why I'm more of a pragmatist when dealing with Somalis. Some of the them grew up with war stories and are suffering from the residuals of PTSD from the war so can't say I blame them. Most are cool with Samaroon for the most part but I've seen the mask slip up when online. It was an interesting sight to see. :deadrose:
Personally, I think it’s rather pathetic as the clans that hate each other the most amongst Somalis tend to be the heavily related with high intermarriages. Effectively, people are hating on the clans of their mothers and grandmothers. Many clans especially the ones that bordered each other intermarried at alarming rates but they’d be fighting each other the most.
It makes sense to me because obviously the truth steps on some toes. I like to keep the peace so I keep that information within the tol.
Ah, okay that reasoning makes sense. If I was you, I’d be like to hell, let them them cry about it, but I’ll admit your way is better. So I definitely see where you are coming from. Although it’s a marker of a lack of brotherhood that someone would feel like something that happened in the past is offensive. Someone like me would find it fascinating and simply a history of a subsection of Somali peoples. But for others raised with tribalism, they’d see it in a different light. Sad indeed.
Being Dir in an area where most people are Dir doesn't always necessitate being allies. Samaroon see each other as a brotherly clan (internally) and for that reason their infighting does not result in the shedding of blood. In fact killing a fellow Samaroon would have meant permanent banishment and being disinherited.

I can't say that dynamic exists between Cissa and Samaroon. These clans have grown so large that Dir is not enough of a unifying force. That label makes more sense in Central Somalia or Southern Somalia where they are more scattered and where there are many rivals of other clans.
Yep.
Look at Djibouti. Samaroon are politically allied with the Afar. Why is that? Don't get me wrong I think it would be smart if Cissa and Samaroon moved past old rivalries but I'm a pragmatist. I think first they should focus on the internal dynamics within their clans and then maybe consider that.
They definitely should. It’s sad that they’d ally with ajnabis, but at the same time I get it. It’s a way for them to defend themselves from Cisse who are the more dominant in that region. But that’s Somalis for you. Very Somali indeed.
That isn't an equivalent comparison (both are Harti). Harti and Dir are not comparable. Also, Samaroon and Cissa do not really strongly identify with Dir and even then belong to separate branches of Dir not the same one.
I think Samaroon and Cisse have become their own major tribe similar to Darood, Isaaq and Hawiye rather than being under the banner of ‘Dir’.

Trending

Latest posts