Why are Somalis so xenophobic ?

I don't believe non somalis coming to somalia and claiming somalia and somali identity cuz they live in somalia which is not their land yes I dont believe non somalis belong to somalia nor to somali identity that is not how owning land and identity work
Non somali Ppl can't just come to live in somali lands and just claim it because they live in it which somali ppl allow them to live in it that is disrespectfull

In my post, I specifically mentioned that this doesn't apply to people who let's say would settle today in Somalia and five years from now claim to be 'Somali'.

That's why I said people who've lived with us for very long time and as a result of either integration or assimilation from over the past centuries mostly have a Somali identity today, even though they aren't patrilineally Somali such as Banaadiris or Bantus.

Last edited:
Incorrect? Is there a correct definition, lol? Tell us what you consider to be Somali first?

Simple, Somali doesn't exist.
That's all there is to it. This not only goes for Somalis but many other pseudo-ethnicities.

When the Europeans met at the Berlin Conference in November 1884-1885, they drew the map not only of their colonies and how they would divide it all, but they also named the people they met.
We happened to take the name of Somali since there is no early record or any mention of us being referred as to Somalis before colonization.

Anyone who tries to claim otherwise is just desperate for legitimacy in a world where "I was here first" mentality is rife

Somali as an actual identity is very recent and our first state with this identity was created in 1960

You don't need to be from Xamar or have any ties with the south for that matter to know that there are non-ethnic Somalis who have Somali identities.
We are fully aware that they’re not fully ethnic Somalis. DNA tests shows that many on average actually have 40-60%. Also, my point about Xamar is a relevant point since it’s always the youngsters from different parts of Somalia talking down on Reer Xamaris. Very rare to find a fob Somali or elder gen say they’re not Somali. We grew up with them and they have been part of Xamar for centuries. They’re even named after the city and have built many iconic areas like Shingaani and Xamar weyne. So yes, it’s relevant and I find it really cheeky coming from these fish and chips kids who have no business talking about them. Like I said, those lot need to stick to their toolos.

Simple, Somali doesn't exist.
That's all there is to it. This not only goes for Somalis but many other pseudo-ethnicities.

When the Europeans met at the Berlin Conference in November 1884-1885, they drew the map not only of their colonies and how they would divide it all, but they also named the people they met.
We happened to take the name of Somali since there is no early record or any mention of us being referred as to Somalis before colonization.

Anyone who tries to claim otherwise is just desperate for legitimacy in a world where "I was here first" mentality is rife

Kulaha Somali doesn't exist. You're making it seem like there were nothing between us until the Europeans came, lol. Take your bs elsewhere.

Kevin Hart Whatever GIF

Kulaha Somali doesn't exist. You're making it seem like we share nothing until the Europeans came. Take your bs elsewhere.

Kevin Hart Whatever GIF

You misunderstood, what I am saying is that we had another identity prior to this Somali one.
And we can make a new one in a matter of seconds. All it takes is one dedicated mind.

Think about it this way, in a few hundred years if humans are still alive, Somalis will be nothing but in the past same way we speak of the macrobians, normans, illyrians, scythians and so on.

What will our descendants be then?
Read some more history sxb you might learn a thing or two about how humanity has evolved socially

In my post, I specifically mentioned that this doesn't apply to people who let's say would settle today in Somalia and five years from now claim to be 'Somali'.

That's why I said people who've lived with us for very long time and as a result of either integration or assimilation from over the past centuries mostly have a Somali identity today, even though they aren't patrilineally Somali (AKA non-ethnic Somalis) such as Banaadiris or Bantus.

Hence, why we need to distinguish ethnic Somali from their identities.
Doesn't matter if non somalis lived somali long time and settle in somalia long time ago they aren't somali nor belong somalia
What u wrote isn't logical
And assimilation doesn't exist

We are fully aware that they’re not fully ethnic Somalis. DNA tests shows that many on average actually have 40-60%. Also, my point about Xamar is a relevant point since it’s always the youngsters from different parts of Somalia talking down on Reer Xamaris. Very rare to find a fob Somali or elder gen say they’re not Somali. We grew up with them and they have been part of Xamar for centuries. They’re even named after the city and have built many iconic areas like Shingaani and Xamar weyne. So yes, it’s relevant and I find it really cheeky coming from these fish and chips kids who have no business talking about them. Like I said, you lot need to stick to your toolos.

Huh? You seem very defensive when my post was not attacking them in any way, in fact I was defending them, lol. I said as someone, despite not have any ties with the south, am aware that Banaadiris have Somali identities which others were refuting. Again, it doesn't require you to be from a specific place to know the dynamics between the locals 🀣

Somali_patriotic

Everything unuka leh
What do you mean β€œour land”

They had their own cities like Barawe, Merca and Xamar. They were the majority population in all of these cities, you can check the Italian 1932 census. Nomads from the five major clans did not live in these cities, but stayed in the bush. Lamagoodles are immigrants from Sudan, just like how half of Cad Cad’s ancestry are immigrants. Nobody is more β€œnative”.
Who settled first is the native
Only hunter gathers who went extinct pre-date us here
We're the natives of somalia while they're the immigrants

@Angelina is prob related to them, this topic triggers the hell out of her for some reason

There’s nothing hateful about pointing out the differences between native Somalis and assimilated foreigners. Im pretty sure these niggas avoided claiming Somalinimo 10 years ago when we weren’t β€œtrending” for good reasons. Nuff said.

Doesn't matter if non somalis lived somali long time and settle in somalia long time ago they aren't somali nor belong somalia
What u wrote isn't logical
And assimilation doesn't exist

How is it not logical considering how the same thing exists in many nation-states? For instance, in a country like Norway, you have ethnic Norwegians and then people who identify with Norwegian nationality. Then you also got minorities like Sami with presence on the land for centuries, who may not view themselves as ethnic Norwegians, but may be culturally, linguistically and nationally Norwegian etc.

It's pretty normal if you ask me. They are a gypsy people that have their own city in our land. I feel we are fairly nice to them. Although people like you would prefer that we call all people living in Somalia, Somali. That is simply unrealistic because Somalis have an ancient form of determining lineage tracing back to five major clans that are accepted as Somalis. There's not a lot of room for liberalizing to the dismay of the liberal youth of the diaspora.
I agree because the reasoning that minorities such as Barawanis, Bantus, etc are EXACTLY the same as a Cushitic Somali is null and void because Somalis are NOMADS & are one of the largest ethnic groups on the African continent, and cover one of the most expansive landmasses by a single ethnic group in Africa. Isn’t there a city in Mozambique settled by Somalis, too ? Relations between the modern-day territories of Somalia and Yemen stretch back to antiquity. A number of Somali clans trace descent to the latter region.

If you were really from Xamar and your family grew up in Xamar, you wouldn’t be debating with me about the fact that the Reer Xamari community are seen as Somali. I know they aren’t ethnic but at least 50% of their DNA is indeed Somali you nacaas. Don’t ever call me stupid. I know more about Xamar than you ever could. You’re not native to Xamar nor is your family. They’re even named after the city along with reer Barawi. I know for a fact that you’re not from Xamar. What are you? Reer Puntland? Stick to that.
I wouldn't waste your time debating here sister, for many of the diaspora hating on these minorities is their own form of qabyalad/fkd. I've never heard of anyone referring to benadiris as nothing else other than somalis, they are not even looked down upon like the bantu.

Last edited:
You misunderstood, what I am saying is that we had another identity prior to this Somali one.
And we can make a new one in a matter of seconds. All it takes is one dedicated mind.

Why create a new identity? You may see as a necessary thing to do, but I can't see any purpose given how majority of us already have a common Somali identity, both through ethnicity and nationality. Even if we were to create a new identity, then it should not be 'compromising' on our ethnicity, but rather a new one on a national level (as much as I don't agree with).

Speaking of your given example, prior to 'Somali identity' as you call it, we already had everything we have today except the name.

We had a common language, xeer/customs, our clan based society which were quite spread out all over 'Somaliweyne' and whom we shared a common identity (patrilineally based, born into a Somali clan), despited falling under different states and jurisdictions and the list goes on.

Gacmeey

Madaxweynaha Qurbo Joogta πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΄
Barwaani are somali in the same way xawaadle are hawiye. 'Yeah sure but not really'.

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
The world stepped in 21 century, the century of globalism, where a person born in norway with african heritage are seen by norway and norweigian as one of them and that person could step up to highest office in Norway. And here are somalis, claiming a group of ppl who has somali blood in them, and lived beside somalis for hundred of years, as Not Somali.

The world stepped in 21 century, the century of globalism, where a person born in norway with african heritage are seen by norway and norweigian as one of them and that person could step up to highest office in Norway. And here are somalis, claiming a group of ppl who has somali blood in them, and lived beside somalis for hundred of years, as Not Somali.

Nothing short of deliberate ignorance.

Why create a new identity? You may see as a necessary thing to do, but I can't see any purpose given how majority of us already have a common Somali identity, both through ethnicity and nationality. Even if we were to create a new identity, then it should not be 'compromising' on our ethnicity, but rather a new one on a national level (as much as I don't agree with).

Speaking of your given example, prior to 'Somali identity' as you call it, we already had everything we have today except the name.

We had a common language, xeer/customs, our clan based society which were quite spread out all over 'Somaliweyne' and whom we shared a common identity (patrilineally based, born into a Somali clan), despited falling under different states and jurisdictions and the list goes on.

The creation of new identities are caused by different factors and usually become widely accepted after a long period of time.
Like the Somalilander identity, if it continues they will see themselves as a seperate ethnicity in a few centuries.

I do agree with you on that the Somali one is necessary as of now, otherwise people would be lost and assimilate with other cultures which we don't.
We should strengthen our current identity till we become confident of it (most aren't now)
and nationality is important, but I believe we need to also strengthen our muslim identity in connection with the rest of the ummah.
The Muslim identity should be above all others.

In realistic terms the xeer is dying out and people are going with the federal system in Somalia as more and more people move into the cities. It will take time, maybe 50-60 more years but eventually xeer will be a thing of the past.
We should create our own new culture instead of clinging onto the past.
Somalia needs more philosophers to think deeply about these issues as well.

Anyway all these big ideas need hardworking and I'm not down to do any of that rn

The creation of new identities are caused by different factors and usually become widely accepted after a long period of time.
Like the Somalilander identity, if it continues they will see themselves as a seperate ethnicity in a few centuries.

True, ethnicity will surely play less factor in the future. SL is relatively new, Djibouti is a better case in point. While most Somalis there still identity with Somalis of neighboring countries, there are some who feel closer to an Afar or Arab Djiboutian as they share land and thus interact with them more than they do with let's say southern Somalis, and more or less formed/forming a new common identity.

However over the centuries we've seen different form of states all over Somaliweyne, but the clan aspect has mostly remained the same. I do believe that we'll see the same here, where Somali (as ethnic group) will lose relevance and replace with a nationality and clan identity remaining. For now, a Somalilander is more prone to identify with their clansmen in Ethiopia than another clan in SL.

I do agree with you on that the Somali one is necessary as of now, otherwise people would be lost and assimilate with other cultures which we don't.
We should strengthen our current identity till we become confident of it (most aren't now)
and nationality is important, but I believe we need to also strengthen our muslim identity in connection with the rest of the ummah.
The Muslim identity should be above all others.

In realistic terms the xeer is dying out and people are going with the federal system in Somalia as more and more people move into the cities. It will take time, maybe 50-60 more years but eventually xeer will be a thing of the past.
We should create our own new culture instead of clinging onto the past.
Somalia needs more philosophers to think deeply about these issues as well.

Anyway all these big ideas need hardworking and I'm not down to do any of that rn

I concur that being Muslims should be superior to all form of identities.

Speaking of our (former) traditional way of life, it surely is being 'torn apart' as we are moving on with time and adapting to the modern statehood of the world and our environment. But I'm more of the opinion that we should let nature take its course and follow along and not intentionally create anything new and then 'implement/impose' a new identity for the sake of having/sharing a new culture or whatever it may be. It will meet a great resistance and decrease the likelihood of achieving the intended aim.

:mjlol: Is that why they’ve been stripping citizenship and deporting Somalis and other Africans? Sheeko cusub.

they most certainly would NOT be seen as Norwegians by the natives, lets not kid ourselves. Especially if they commit crimes, you know damn well what the comment sections would look like

Trending