Why are African Americans, Bantus and blacks portraying Somalis in shows and movies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiron

wanaag
NABADOON
VIP
They're probably phenomenal actors, it's not always about features but talent. I support a good story line, don't care who plays it. :)

highly unlikely, most somalis i know at least are brought up not too chase in being a singer or an actor..

That's what you think.... they could've easily went to a populated Somali city and hire some Somali actors, the same way they did with captain Phillips.

That's what you think.... they could've easily went to a populated Somali city and hire some Somali actors, the same way they did with captain Phillips.

thats not what i'm saying, no somali would through themselves for a role.. these cadaans have to come find us.. last decade only a handful of somalis reached stardom and that was due to hmm, 1 civil war with blackhawk down. 2 piracy with captain philips and 3 waving flags cuz you know that nigga knaan wrote that song about somalia. all i'm saying is majority of somalis think these profession are a sin.

You'll never see an Antonio or a bin Terrorist play a Somali on TV. Only Dikeledi and click click Kwabela and Tyrone. The latter is the nightmare (but also the reality) of Somalis.

Reign

Pro Women's Rights|Centrist
VIP
Because whenever a Somali especially a female tries to do acting/modelling/singing they’re labelled ciyaal suuq or lost or s and are shamed. Hence why there are non of them in Hollywood and other darker/coloured people have to fill the roles.

Reign

VIP
Because most Somalis look like Africans, only a minority have straight noses and soft hair and can pass for these other ethnicities. They are delusional.
Not true, most Somalis have straight nose, 50% have soft hair and 20% are light skinned. 60% are brown skinned and 20% are darker than brown aka mariin.

Reign

VIP
You know I used to say the same but realized the straight nose and soft hair is prized but not common.
It’s very common. I’ve only met a handful of Somalis with Jarer hair or non straight nose. Most I’ve met either have jarer hair and Somali noses or or soft hair and Somali noses. I’ve met soft hair and non Somali features. It’s very rare you meet both jarer hair and non Somali nose combined.

Reign

VIP
forget all the crayons and hair talk. if you got a forehead that can compete with mine, then alhamdulillah you are somali :)
Alhamdulilah I don’t have a big forehead. It’s a tiny bit big but not your average Somali big.

A number of reasons. Hollywood assumes all sub-Saharan Africans look the same, which is more reflective of American ignorance than anything else. East Asians actors and actresses portray East Asians of other ethnicities quite often, for example. Secondly, there aren’t a lot of Somalis in showbiz to begin with, and they’re probably not going to do any casting calls since, like I said, they assume all Africans look the same so they don’t see the need to. In this case, like @Hades said, they’re going to want to get a big name attached to the project, hence why Aja Naomi King is in the lead.

Kerry washington would have been a better option. She looks like somali.

You know I used to say the same but realized the straight nose and soft hair is prized but not common.
I can easily pick out different groups of Africans ( Bantus, Cushites , Hunter gatherers ,Nilotes, Bantu-Cushitic hybrid groups, Arab-Bantiod , etc ). Hair texture or skin tone is not really important to the discussion . The cranial features , body frame and nasal features are more of a give away . Obviously , for cadaans and other ethnicities we all look the same .

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
It’s very common. I’ve only met a handful of Somalis with Jarer hair or non straight nose. Most I’ve met either have jarer hair and Somali noses or or soft hair and Somali noses. I’ve met soft hair and non Somali features. It’s very rare you meet both jarer hair and non Somali nose combined.

Non-Somali features is a catchall phrase for unattractive. :pachah1:In which case, we act like oh, you're Somali I wouldn't have guessed. :manny:

Reign

VIP
Lol @ 20% being dark skinned
Have you ever been to Somalia abaayo?
60% Somalis are mariin 20% are blick but not as blick as stormzy and 20% are light skinned and I don’t mean those caramel/brownies that claim light skinned I mean proper light. I have been to Somalia and observed this also. You have to remember the sun and poor self care makes them look rafad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending