Who is a Somali?

rayxn3

🧚‍♀️
They are considered Somali in Somalia.I say they half because there’s another side which shouldn’t be erased
My mother is hawiye which is why I’m hawiye. If I marry a french man my kids will be hawiye because of me. Lineage is maternal. Somalia is a matriarch

Wonyluvr

“la vie en rose🥀 ~”. on hiatus
VIP
Ion get it
hypothetical half Somali just an example.To me half Somalis are just half Somalis they shouldn’t be called Somali because they have another side that shouldn’t be erased.unless the other side is coloniser then it deserves to be erased (joke) 😭😭😭😭😭

While there are no official statistics, it's likely that Somali men marry outside their community at higher rates than Somali women. However, the difference lies in that Somali woman who marry out stay part of the Somali community, meaning you see them more as a Somali. Somali men who marry outside may not always introduce their children to their Somali culture, perhaps due to feelings of shame or divore.

In the case of divorce their non-Somali spouses, leaving their mixed-race children with the non-Somali parent, alienating them from their Somali heritage.

The argument that children with Somali fathers would be more in tune with their Somali identity compared to those with Somali mothers in practice tends to be weak, again no data expect anecdotes is this musing based on.

Looking at Jewish culture, where ethnic identity is passed down through the maternal line, it incentivizes males to remain within the community since marrying outside would mean their children wouldn't be considered part of the ethnic group.

that only applies to qabiil not ethnicity lol even then how are you mixed and claiming a qabiil no one would take you seriously , no hate to half somalis but they should claim both of their sides.

Yami

4th Emir of the Akh Right Movement
Akisho are Dir aren’t they
No. The Akisho that didn't end up assimilating into Isaaq claim Dir as a protected clan. They're originally Oromos from the countryside of Harar and their real clan name is Akkichu

NidarNidar

Punisher
Yes. I abhor the notion spread by somalis here that dir are oromo. That would make darood maternally oromo and make hawiyes oromos since dir is their sibling
Dir are Somali, they are some assimilated Dir and other Somali clans like Hawiye and Darood that got absorbed by Oromo, majority of Dir and Isaaq are T-L208 so the notion of us being Oromo is alien, Oromo mostly have A,B, J1 and E-V32 haplogroups.

No. The Akisho that didn't end up assimilating into Isaaq claim Dir as a protected clan. They're originally Oromos from the countryside of Harar and their real clan name is Akkichu
Have we ever had a person get tested from Akisho?

I wouldn't be surprised if they are Somali originally, before being reassimilated :hemad:.

Last edited:

Wonyluvr

“la vie en rose🥀 ~”. on hiatus
VIP
Dir are Somali, they are some assimilated Dir and other Somali clans like Hawiye and Darood that got absorbed by Oromo, majority of Dir and Isaaq are T-L208 so the notion of us being Oromo is alien, Oromo mostly have A,B, J1 and E-V32 haplogroups.
Anyone who states that Dir are Oromo deserve to be smacked

Akisho are Somali Madaxweyne Dir who were amongst the first to experience the brunt of Oromo expansion and became Oromised. If you look at their subs there aren't really any non Somali names either. Simple DNA test will probably show they are indeed of Dir descent.

Then some of these now Oromised Somali returned to the Somali fold.

NidarNidar

Punisher
Akisho are Somali Madaxweyne Dir who were amongst the first to experience the brunt of Oromo expansion and became Oromised. If you look at their subs there aren't really any non Somali names either. Simple DNA test will probably show they are indeed of Dir descent.

Then some of these now Oromised Somali returned to the Somali fold.
Ngl we need to reabsorb some of these back if their abtirsi is Somali and genetic testing is done.

NidarNidar

Punisher
The return of Greater Somalia would be crazy Somalia would stretch to deep inside Arsi and Bale

People also try and exclude Jaarso lakin most of them are from a single jilib of Darood Bal'ad Absame
My maternal great-grandmother was Jarso, she married my great-grandfather who was Gadabursi near Diridhaba(after WW2) who is from the same sub-clan as me, her haplogroup was J1B, which is only found in high concentration in Sudan and the coast of the horn, outside of Africa it's found primarily in the middle east.

The return of Greater Somalia would be crazy Somalia would stretch to deep inside Arsi and Bale

People also try and exclude Jaarso lakin most of them are from a single jilib of Darood Bal'ad Absame

Jaarso are Dir, not Darood, they are related to the Gurgura who operated the lucrative trade route deep in Ethiopia.

My maternal great-grandmother was Jarso, she married my great-grandfather who was Gadabursi near Diridhaba(after WW2) who is from the same sub-clan as me, her haplogroup was J1B, which is only found in high concentration in Sudan and the coast of the horn, outside of Africa it's found primarily in the middle east.

Jarso are Dir, not Darood.
Yes I know they are Dir but it seems some of them abtiris to Absame.

Is that Y-DNA or mitochondrial- only people around that area I might expect to have that are the Ashraf of the Oromo who are called Sherifa

Last edited:
Soomaali waa kuma? Who is a Somali? This is a debate that has been ignited by the recent constitution changes and I don’t know why.

The definition of a Somali is simple. Anyone who has an abtiris that is a part of the Somali clan system is a Somali.

That is why if a Somali lady has a child with an ajnabi, that child will never be Somali. That’s also why if a Somali man has a child with an ajnabi lady, that child will always be Somali even if they have blonde hair and blue eyes. This is a fact no matter what those that have been indoctrinated by European philosophies say.

A Somali is someone with a Somali lineage and a Muslim (I would also add sunni shafici but that is just my bias).

The constitutional review body has a survey for the public on this very issue and other important matters. Have your say here: https://icric.gov.so/tallo-dhiibo/?...5lPpHfvP2Vi18H0HM8_KliN-F8tNFR4UPx3nDbx2dA_Qo
You actually managed to traipse your way over the most contentious issue of the debate: are Somalis in occupied territories Somalis, which is wherein lies the rub for the proponents of the new law, which seeks to exclude them by planting the idea of equating them with refugees in Europe and N America into the minds of the 'maangaab', who have already started parroting said argument? The shift in nationalism in just a couple of generations boggles the mind.

Paternal lineage is very strict thats why im being critical. If I have kids with an ajnabi man, my kids wouldnt be Somali so why should I make an exception for darood who had kids with a dir woman a millennia ago? We need consistency. Using your logic then darood shouldnt be part of Somali clan structure
You are raising valid questions, but unfortunately the Somali law has always been through paternal lineage. Sorry walaal, who is this Darod noble chap you so highly speak of?

Trending