Who is a Somali?

Genetically Darood is not distinguishable from the other Samaale.

We shouldn't be overly obsessed with lineage and focus on our shared Somali identity. Even in Somali culture they didn't do this the way people do now. Or you lot not know that qabiils would sometimes literally hand over some of their men to another qabiil that was on the verge of being extinct. You also had 'GAASHANBUUR' or confederate alliances and also people straight up creating jilibs.

Lineage is not equal to ethnic identity even if most people say they believe that. If I take someone like Leon Osman to Somalia they won't say he is Somali- he fits the Somali paternal ancestry as some of you have suggested.

In a hypothetical scenario where DNA testing becomes common, will you lot exclude Somalis that come up as having other haplogroups that's the logical conclusion of these arguments.

Ethnicity and nationality/citizenship are not always the same either this is an important issue for us to address.

All of this said the law shouldn't be changed

Last edited:

Mudug_gyal

بما يرضي الله Feminist
VIP
We should just ignore this obsession with lineage and focus on our shared Somali identity.
We can ignore it once my half arab kids can be accepted as Somali! Now let’s stick to the cold hard truth factz
1710869882195.gif

Mudug_gyal

بما يرضي الله Feminist
VIP
They wouldn't be considered ethnic Somali but I don't see why they can't be naturalised or have residency if certain requirements are met.
So my half arab kids are foreigners but daroods who have arab lineage are not because they settled here for a while?
1710870160620.gif

So my half arab kids are foreigners but daroods who have arab lineage are not because they settled here for a while?
View attachment 320793

I explained before that ethnicty does not equal one single paternal lineage some Somalis are confused lakiin no one operates this way in the world.

No one considers King Charles German or Farage French. It is basically meaningless even if let's say it was a Chinese ancestor it would change nothing. It is about your total ancestry, culture and time.

Daarood isn't the only one that links itself to Arab lineage. And really it is irrelevant no random in Bosaaso identifies as an Arab even if we accept that Darood was Arab they don't speak Arabic, their culture is not Arab, they are 100% Somali.

Mudug_gyal

بما يرضي الله Feminist
VIP
I explained before that ethnicty does not equal one single paternal lineage some Somalis are confused lakiin no one operates this way in the world.

No one considers King Charles German or Farage French. It is basically meaningless even if let's say it was a Chinese ancestor it would change nothing. It is about your total ancestry, culture and time.

Daarood isn't the only one that links itself to Arab lineage. And really it is irrelevant no random in Bosaaso identifies as an Arab even if we accept that Darood was Arab they don't speak Arabic, their culture is not Arab, they are 100% Somali.
What if they’re cultural somali and can speak it. Plus theyd be half somali

Mudug_gyal

بما يرضي الله Feminist
VIP
We shouldn't be overly obsessed with lineage and focus on our shared Somali identity. Even in Somali culture they didn't do this the way people do now. Or you lot not know that qabiils would sometimes literally hand over some of their men to another qabiil that was on the verge of being extinct. You also had 'GAASHANBUUR' or confederate alliances and also people straight up creating jilibs.
Exactly, which is why my kids with arab lineage should be considered full fledged somalis just like daroods are. Matter of fact lets trump the whole somali thing and switch to arab. If ethnicity doesnt equal patrilineal lineage then why can’t my arab kids be Somali!

What if they’re cultural somali and can speak it. Plus theyd be half somali
Well, let's take the example of Saudi Arabia, which is made up mostly of supposedly "Arabized" Adnan tribes (I don't believe in this narrative). What are the reasons that made them classified as Arabs? Isn't it the language? the culture ? Or did they intermarry with other Arab tribes for centuries until they became Arabs in identity, culture, and features? This is the case with Daroud, if we assume that he is an “Arab.” His descendants are Somali in culture and language, and they intermarried with the people of the country hundreds of years ago, making them like other Somalis. So in this case, he will simply be given citizenship, and by the way, even Saudi Arabia has the same citizenship system or law that we have.

Mudug_gyal

بما يرضي الله Feminist
VIP
Well, let's take the example of Saudi Arabia, which is made up mostly of supposedly "Arabized" Adnan tribes (I don't believe in this narrative). What are the reasons that made them classified as Arabs? Isn't it the language? the culture ? Or did they intermarry with other Arab tribes for centuries until they became Arabs in identity, culture, and features? This is the case with Daroud, if we assume that he is an “Arab.” His descendants are Somali in culture and language, and they intermarried with the people of the country hundreds of years ago, making them like other Somalis. So in this case, he will simply be given citizenship, and by the way, even Saudi Arabia has the same citizenship system or law that we have.
Then my arab kids can be the so called ‘adnanites’ of somalis and be accepted as somalis. Why should they be deemed as non somalis only based on their fathers lineage when that didnt disqualify adnanites and daroods?

World

VIP
It was quite common for non Somalis to become sheegato and join clans tho.

You had large sections of Oromos that became Habar Awal such as the Akisho.

Are they Somalis?

rayxn3

🧚‍♀️
Half Somali just like if someone was Maternally Somali only half however taken into account that they have abtirsi and what not they are Somali in Somalia
That’s not fair though. They shouldn’t be considered Somali in Somalia just because their dad is. Lineage is maternal. You are what your mother is!

Wonyluvr

“la vie en rose🥀 ~”
VIP
That’s not fair though. They shouldn’t be considered Somali in Somalia just because their dad is. Lineage is maternal. You are what your mother is!
They are considered Somali in Somalia.I say they half because there’s another side which shouldn’t be erased

Trending