Who comes first? Spouse, child, or parent?

AbdiFreedom

Staff Member
Kids, parents, then spouse

Kids love you unconditionally, parents somewhat but spouses could leave you at anytime for no reason.

Emir of Zayla

𝕹𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓 𝖔𝖋 𝕻𝖔𝖊𝖙𝖘

Personally I think it’s spouse, then child, then parent. Maybe unpopular but this is why I feel that way:

The relationship with your spouse is gonna be the #1 example and model for your child when it comes to relationships. Also the mother of your child/father of your child is not that replaceable, that’s why broken families and blended families with stepmoms and stepdads always have messed up family dynamics and tons of abuse.

A healthy marriage with two loving parents is the #1 best environment to raise children in and that’s why you need to put in the work to keep your marriage together. Kids of course are important and you need to prioritize them too but people tend to neglect their marriages when they have kids which is wrong. That’s what your child is observing and gonna use as a model for their own relationships as they get older. Also your spouse is the person you are gonna spend the most time with, once your kids grow up they will leave and create their own families. So if you and your spouse don’t have a close bond then being alone with them is gonna be miserable.

Parents are important too of course but at some point you are going to leave and create your own family. So priorities will have to change.

What are your thoughts?
>Parents
>Kids
>Spouse

Comes first in what? That makes a
difference.
You’re right. I don’t think everyone here has the same ideas in terms of what people mean by coming first.

If in a situation where your kid, mother and partner all need your attention for something all else equal at the same time it’s clearly going to be kid>mother>spouse but sometimes there are the people who are going to need you more urgently usually. It could be the case that the kids and the mothers need for attention is not as important as the need for the spouses attention, e.g. wife is giving birth but your oldest son wants candy and your mom wants you to do groceries for her)

When it comes to a general period of a lifetime, you’re going to work on your relationship with your spouse the most and give that the most attention, then your kids and your mother. This is cause it requires the most maintenance as you spend the most time with them anyway plus your going to have to be deeply intimate with them without being related which is harder than it seems, being relatives eases the access of intimacy, this is the case with your parents and your kids, so your spouse is the one over a lifetime period who requires the highest priority, only because it’s the weakest, yet the one that people spend the most time with naturally. F’ing up such a relationship leads to horrible outcomes and it isn’t like a girlfriend/boyfriend or something where the relationship is vapid and hollow without grave consequences.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
This thread was very enlightening.

> Parents are number one. I mean, they brought you into this world.
> Children came later and need to see that you prioritize your original household so they can do the same.
> Spouse is a maybe as the relationship is conditional with no guarantee of marriage for life. Divorce is a possibility. Individuals can be blindsided, so no amount of preparation or due diligence can plan for some degree of uncertainty regarding marital outcomes. I say this as someone whose parents are still married.

Angelina is a bit too possessive. Her notion of love is to take your soul in a fucking jar or something.
Alchemist you’re looking at this from a childish perspective and clearly not married. This has nothing to do with possessiveness or even love.

My siblings have their own lives and deal with their spouses more than they deal with me. They live with their wives and prioritize the mothers of their children on a day to day basis. Why would my brother prioritize me when I too have my own family unit? Why would my brother drop everything including his wife to do something for me when I have a husband and why would I drop everything when he has a wife? I probably see my brother once or twice a week max.

Its obvious from this thread that you lot are under 25s and don’t understand how time consuming having a kid and spouse is. It’s the same for my sisters. Their first obligations are to their kids, parents and husbands. As a loving sister I would always tell my sisters and brothers to put their spouses before me, I’m not living life with them, I have my own life and once you’re married adults, at most you’ll see your siblings twice a week.

Last edited:
You’re right. I don’t think everyone here has the same ideas in terms of what people mean by coming first.

If in a situation where your kid, mother and partner all need your attention for something all else equal at the same time it’s clearly going to be kid>mother>spouse but sometimes there are the people who are going to need you more urgently usually. It could be the case that the kids and the mothers need for attention is not as important as the need for the spouses attention, e.g. wife is giving birth but your oldest son wants candy and your mom wants you to do groceries for her)

When it comes to a general period of a lifetime, you’re going to work on your relationship with your spouse the most and give that the most attention, then your kids and your mother. This is cause it requires the most maintenance as you spend the most time with them anyway plus your going to have to be deeply intimate with them without being related which is harder than it seems, being relatives eases the access of intimacy, this is the case with your parents and your kids, so your spouse is the one over a lifetime period who requires the highest priority, only because it’s the weakest, yet the one that people spend the most time with naturally. F’ing up such a relationship leads to horrible outcomes and it isn’t like a girlfriend/boyfriend or something where the relationship is vapid and hollow without grave consequences.
People on this forum aren’t serious. It’s one thing to put your mother first, but some on here are even advocating to put your siblings before your partner. That’s nuts considering that your siblings will have their own lives and family unit InshaAllah and they’ll be seeing you like twice a week and the rest of their time focusing on their kids and the mother/father of their child.

Also, the amount of divorces I’ve seen when low IQ men allow their sisters to meddle in their relationships or put them first when at the end of the day the said sister gets married, becomes a mother and wife and doesn’t even have time for her brother as much and he’s the ones whose child is now from a broken home while their sister is playing the dutiful wife.

I’d give this advise to my own bothers, luckily the older ones are screwed on so I’d give it to the younger ones, focus on your fam because at the end of the day when all is said and done, your siblings are living their days to day lives with their spouses NOT you. That’s how good in-laws operate and there is a reason why families like mine get along with their in-laws since we respect that marriage bond and understand that a good marriage is imperative for children’s well-being.

Finally someone with common sense.Anyone putting their parents or spouse before their own child needs to be smacked in their face.Most of the commentators are kids themselves or just trolling I hope atleast...

I don't see how prioritizing your adult parents over your own child (who 100% depends on you and you are 100% responsible for) makes any rational sense
Lol, I think people are thinking about their child being a teenager or an adult. When all is said and done, it’s child first. Especially for women since we birth them and the greatest love a woman is her own child. They’d sacrifice everything for that child.

You should put family in front of your wife, especially if they're younger siblings of yours. Your wife has all the time in the day for your attention so she can have a backseat when your family is having real problems
Well you’ve answered it. The wife gets more time. Why? Because she’s the one that actually has a life with you. Obviously when there are problems she’s going to take a back seat, but who is the one that gets you all the time and spends most of the time whilst you only see your siblings once a week or even once every two weeks? Your wife. She’s 5x more of a priority and adulthood will teach you this. Many of you lot only see your uncles and aunts here or there with many of them living abroad, are you telling me your mum puts them before your dad? The man she created a life with, whilst your uncles are in different continent?

I’m sorry but I don’t know how you lot were raised but no why were my parents putting their siblings who many didn’t even live in the same house/,city/ country as them over the woman/man they share children and a roof with. Believe me your kids will resent you as it spills over.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Well you’ve answered it. The wife gets more time. Why? Because she’s the one that actually has a life with you. Obviously when there are problems she’s going to take a back seat, but who is the one that gets you all the time and spends most of the time whilst you only see your siblings once a week or even once every two weeks? Your wife. She’s 5x more of a priority and adulthood will teach you this. Many of you lot only see your uncles and aunts here or there with many of them living abroad, are you telling me your mum puts them before your dad? The man she created a life with, whilst your uncles are in different continent?

I’m sorry but I don’t know how you lot were raised but no why were my parents putting their siblings who many didn’t even live in the same house/,city/ country as them over the woman/man they share children and a roof with. Believe me your kids will resent you as it spills over.
Wevel has no intention of ever marrying, so don't be surprised by his response.
Alchemist you’re looking at this from a childish perspective and clearly not married. This has nothing to do with possessiveness or even love.

My siblings have their own lives and deal with their spouses more than they deal with me. They live with their wives and prioritize the mothers of their children on a day to day basis. Why would my brother prioritize me when I too have my own family unit? Why would my brother drop everything including his wife to do something for me when I have a husband and why would I drop everything when he has a wife? I probably see my brother once or twice a week max.

Its obvious from this thread that you lot are under 25s and don’t understand how time consuming having a kid and spouse is. It’s the same for my sisters. Their first obligations are to their kids, parents and husbands. As a loving sister I would always tell my sisters and brothers to put their spouses before me, I’m not living life with them, I have my own life and once you’re married adults, at most you’ll see your siblings twice a week.
@The alchemist was being facetious. He did have a point about having multiple roles and shifting priorities. Parents age, spouses can unfortunately leave, and children grow up. Depending on your stage of life and social position, some relationships take precedence over others. Also, there is a difference between living in the West/nuclear family vs. a multi-generational family set-up. The former is more common than the latter. In addition, individuals may feel isolated as historically. People didn't rely solely on a spouse but had others around to provide support. People have never lived alone with their spouses but also had other family members around. In the event of a marriage dissolution, children return to their parents with their dependents. I have seen cases where grandparents were forced to raise their grandchildren or were saddled with them by their children. If a marital situation is toxic, people look to their parents for support.

Conversely, spouses can offer help if the person's family of origin has toxic members. This is contingent on another factor, i.e., individual characteristics of people and relationship dynamics. The worst spouse tries to isolate someone from their family and drive them away, especially if the family is functional. Similarly, families with toxic members may try to meddle in the marriages of their children needlessly and cause trouble or suspicions where there are none.

Lol, I think people are thinking about their child being a teenager or an adult. When all is said and done, it’s child first. Especially for women since we birth them and the greatest love a woman is her own child. They’d sacrifice everything for that child.
Caring for your children from 0 to adulthood is basically a given, prioritizing your children comes naturally to people and there’s no need to even consider it on a conscious basis as it’s natural to care for your children and it basically works on the unconscious level, however I think that people need to consciously consider their partners more than anything as that’s the relationship that’s most easily ignored and goes south the easiest.

The fact that your spouse naturally takes the backseat when it comes to your kids and your parents is actually the reason why you have to prioritize and work on that relationship the most. I don’t know why people don’t understand this.

Wevel has no intention of ever marrying, so don't be surprised by his response.

@The alchemist was being facetious. He did have a point about having multiple roles and shifting priorities. Parents age, spouses can unfortunately leave, and children grow up. Depending on your stage of life and social position, some relationships take precedence over others. Also, there is a difference between living in the West/nuclear family vs. a multi-generational family set-up. The former is more common than the latter. In addition, individuals may feel isolated as historically. People didn't rely solely on a spouse but had others around to provide support. People have never lived alone with their spouses but also had other family members around. In the event of a marriage dissolution, children return to their parents with their dependents. I have seen cases where grandparents were forced to raise their grandchildren or were saddled with them by their children. If a marital situation is toxic, people look to their parents for support.
With regards to your comments about multigenerational family units with siblings living in the same compound or house, I’ve seen it at play back home as my family tend to live in a compound with siblings being next door. Even then, the spouses came first for both men and women after parents since a man had to provide for his wife and look after her above his brother or sister who would be either working themselves and in the case of the sister, she’d be married and looked after by another man, her husband. Naturally, a man’s responsibility after parents is his wife and kids NOT his siblings, so even in joint family unit, it should be wife/ husband.

Also, we’ve seen how in some cultures like the Asians, putting siblings first causes abuses and breakdowns of marriages. It causes trauma and anger. It’s ridiculous to prioritize your siblings who’ll be carving out a life with another over a person who dropped everyone to carve out a life with YOU.

Also, you and he are right about how in life there are shifts and different roles. In the beginning of my child’s life I’d be be putting them above all but once they’re adults and my parents become old and weak, they’d be by number one priority. Usually, husbands would prioritize providing for a wife and child over their mothers when their mothers are middle aged and still being looked after by their fathers, but once parents become old and they can’t provide for themselves, it will be on the son/daughter to financially look after them. I completely agree and understand this.

But the assertion of prioritizing siblings is silly to me.

Conversely, spouses can offer help if the person's family of origin has toxic members. This is contingent on another factor, i.e., individual characteristics of people and relationship dynamics. The worst spouse tries to isolate someone from their family and drive them away, especially if the family is functional. Similarly, families with toxic members may try to meddle in the marriages of their children needlessly and cause trouble or suspicions where there are none.
This I agree with 100%.

Last edited:

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
With regards to your comments about multigenerational family units with siblings living in the same compound or house, I’ve seen it at play back home as my family tend to live in a compound with siblings being next door. Even then, the spouses came first for both men and women since a man had to provide for his wife and look after her above his brother or sister who would be either working themselves and in the case of the sister, she’d be married and looked after by another man, her husband. Naturally, a man’s responsibility after parents is his wife and kids NOT his siblings, so even in joint family unit, it should be wife/ husband.

Also, we’ve seen how in some cultures like the Asians, putting siblings first causes abuses and breakdowns of marriages. It causes trauma and anger. It’s ridiculous to prioritize your siblings who’ll be carving out a life with another over a person who dropped everyone to carve out a life with YOU.

Also, you and he are right about how in life there are shifts and different roles. In the beginning of my child’s life I’d be be putting them above all but once their adults and my parents become old and weak, they’d be by number one priority. Usually, husbands would prioritize providing for a wife and child over their mothers when their mothers are middle aged and still being looked after by their fathers, but once they can’t provide for themselves, it will be on the son/daughter to financially look after them. I completely agree and understand this.

But the assertion of prioritizing siblings is silly to me.

This I agree with 100%.
I assumed it was strictly just those three. I didn't mention siblings, but speaking of them, those dynamics certainly depend on the family dynamics and closeness and can change. I have seen people who are quite close to their siblings and others who barely talk to them. Like you wouldn't even know they were related. Generally, if they are level-headed, they would support you to spend your time wisely and be understanding of the new demands placed on you based on certain transitions, i.e. marriage and child-rearing. The presumption is they would want their relative to be happy and can help in a conflict that might require outside intervention.

Conversely, if relatives are not in someone's best interest, that is a sign of toxicity. From my observations of Somalis, this can create ripple effects that influence other relatives. When you add certain factors, like the division of property/assets, issues can also arise. It happens everywhere.

I'm in disbelief at the people here choosing their spouse/parents over their own damm children

lord-of-the-rings-gandalf.gif

Aww.. this was a very clueless, cute big-girl response.

Besides that, I wish you a successful marriage, Angelina.

Aww.. this was a very clueless, cute big-girl response.

Besides that, I wish you a successful marriage, Angelina.
Stop with the patronizing mockery, it’s boring. if you can’t come up with a valid response, simply ignore. Most married people would argue what I just did simply because what is a fact is that your siblings will indeed carve their own lives. Look at your own family such as your aunts and uncles. They have separate lives focusing on their wives and kids (your cousins). It’s a reality. I’m a whole lot more clued up than you. Putting your adult siblings above your spouse is definitely juvenile. I’d love to hear your real response once married, not as a young man about town who can’t even commit yet.

Hopefully, you’ll get hitched with kids. Looking forward to getting your view then.

Last edited:
Stop with the patronizing mockery, it’s boring. if you can’t come up with a valid response, simply ignore. Most married people would argue what I just did simply because what is a fact is that your siblings will indeed carve their own lives. Look at your own family such as your aunts and uncles. They have separate lives focusing on their wives and kids (your cousins). It’s a reality. I’m a whole lot more clued up than you. Putting your adult siblings above your spouse is definitely juvenile. I’d love to hear your real response once married, not as a young man about town who can’t even commit yet.

Hopefully, you’ll get hitched with kids. Looking forward to getting your view then.
When did I ever mention siblings...? The only way for you to hold an argument is to fix me to claims I never made. How can I not mock you at that point when you started the cute patronizing attempt to boot? Be reasonable first by coming with some respect.

My first post had nothing to do with what you're pushing on me. Go and argue with people who hold that view. I don't subscribe to these silly argumentative hysteria. It's unproductive, as you demonstrate, by mixing things up.

Of all the fabrications, calling me boring hurt my feelings. I'm fun when I mock.

Regarding my life and experiences, you should shut your mouth and stay in your lane. You don't know who you're barking at. No idea.

When did I ever mention siblings...? The only way for you to hold an argument is to fix me to claims I never made. How can I not mock you at that point when you started the cute patronizing attempt to boot? Be reasonable first by coming with some respect.
I @ you when you replied to @Welve whatever his name is and our conversation was about siblings and then you said I was possessive!

I wasn’t talking about parents or kids! But siblings!
My first post had nothing to do with what you're pushing on me. Go and argue with people who hold that view. I don't subscribe to these silly argumentative hysteria. It's unproductive, as you demonstrate, by mixing things up.
Why @ me then and say I was possessive when I was only talking about siblings with that other poster? What’s wrong you?
Of all the fabrications, calling me boring hurt my feelings. I'm fun when I mock.

Regarding my life and experiences, you should shut your mouth and stay in your lane. You don't know who you're barking at. No idea.
I don’t actually care to know tbh. You’ve already shared more than I care to know. Don’t act like a victim when YOU @ me about a conversation about putting siblings first. You don’t know me to call me possessive so let’s keep that energy from the very beginning? Then maybe I’d have stayed in my lane?

I was talking to another poster about putting siblings first, YOU interjected and then called me possessive or whatever nonsense, so of course I’m going to assume you disagreed with my notion of siblings not being before spouses and that was what the conversation was about!

Nothing gets me annoyed than someone who interjects and starts shit and then acts like a victim. Now that is definitely boring!

Last edited:
I @ you when you replied to @Welve whatever his name is and our conversation was about siblings and then you said I was possessive!

I wasn’t talking about parents or kids! But siblings!

Why @ me then and say I was possessive when I was only talking about siblings with that other poster? What’s wrong you?

I don’t actually care to know tbh. You’ve already shared more than I care to know. Don’t act like a victim when YOU @ me about a conversation about putting siblings first. You don’t know me to call me possessive so let’s keep that energy from the very beginning? Then maybe I’d have stayed in my lane?

I was talking to another poster about putting siblings first, YOU interjected and then called me possessive or whatever nonsense, so of course I’m going to assume you disagreed with my notion of siblings not being before spouses and that was what the conversation was about!

Nothing gets me annoyed than someone who interjects and starts shit and then acts like a victim. Now that is definitely boring!
Walaal , why are you as a married woman arguing with people who have primitive mindsets and who’ll never see eye to eye with you? Maxaa khaldaan meesha

stop wasting your time on writing these essays, trying to convince them to see things from your perspective.

Trending