What's the history of the Benadiri?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banadir

"Benadir
is derived from the Persian bandar, which means "port" in allusion to the coastal cities of Mogadishu and Barawa. The place name reflects the region's medieval position as a key trade center for the "Horn of Africa" with Persia and the Arabian peninsula. Benadir is also reputed for its special breed of goats.[2]

The original inhabitants of Mogadishu city and the Benadir area were the Hamari people, who are ethnically an amalgam of heterogeneous populations who settled in the area during the Roman empire centuries. Archaeological excavations have demonstrated the existence of trade relations with the Ancient Egypt, Sumerian and Sheba kingdoms for at least a thousand years before Christ. In the first millennium BC the Benadir coast was visited by Phoenician merchants. In the Roman republic centuries between the regions of Zanzibar and the kingdom of Saba (Sheba) was maintained a fluid commercial traffic using maritime monsoon winds: the Sabaeans brought Chinese porcelain and paintings between November and February and returned north with large, spices, gold, ivory and wood. During Augustus times the use of Monsoon winds was increased, with Roman ships going from northern Somalia until India and vice versa.

The main source of the history of the coast of the Indian Ocean is the old Periplus Maris Erythraen written by an anonymous Romano-Greek merchant of Egypt who in 50 AD detailed that the region had an important trade center with its port called Sarapion (modern Mogadishu). Roman coins & artifacts have been found in Damo and Essina, a few km north of actual Mogadishu.

During the Plague of Justinian – that some historians like Theodore Mommsen believe was originated in the Horn of Africa – the ancient Benadir cities were depopulated and a crisis destroyed and impoverished the region in the sixth century.

In 694 AD the Benadir towns of Mogadishu, Merka, Brava and Kismayo sprang into historical existence with the actual names, thanks to the enterprise of Abdul Malik bin Muriami. He placed one of his own followers as governor in each place and declared himself Sultan. These towns on the Benadir coast of the Indian Ocean share to a great extent the characteristics of Swahili culture further south: trading centres, welcoming Arab, Persian and other immigrants, evolving distinctive amalgams both of people groups and language, with tangible forms of settled government and the presence of Islam. The famous explorer Ibn Battuta gave us the best description of Mogadishu city and its Muslim society on the Horn of Africa in the tenth century.

From the tenth century settled in the region some communities of Arab and Persian traders and mixed with the local populations. The first settlers were originally from Al-Hasa (Al-Ahsa) and Sadah in Yemen: 39 families in total and they were four main "clans". Another 12 families "muqarri" came: 12 of Jidati, 6 of Qabiria and 6 of the Ismail; later were joined by other immigrants from Arabia, mainly from northern Yemen (Samand-clans, Abdi Al-awide, Amud Asharaf, Ba-Fadel, Hami Ba-Ba-Jamal Bakr Ba-Muqtar, Bal- Said Hamdan, Omar-Uuduin, Shamsudin, Shawish and Wali). They dealt mainly with fabrics (exported to the Arab territories, Persia, India and China) and they built mosques and other buildings of great architectural value. The actual Benadiri people claim to be descendants of these communities."

N

nadia

not true, all I've ever known are nationalists.

Besides, they've been there for a long time they are our brothers and sisters. It's impossible to have no minorities...

You're being extreme
i guess the ones in Somalia are good in my book but the diaspora are a different breed most dont claim somali and instead claim kenyan thats what irritates me about them

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
most dont claim somali and instead claim kenyan thats what irritates me about them
That doesn't even make sense :what1:
Do you mean when attempting to emigrate to the West or just in personal dealings?
If it's the latter then :what:

N

nadia

That doesn't even make sense :what1:
Do you mean when attempting to emigrate to the West or just in personal dealings?
If it's the latter then :what:
I am talking about the diaspora no need for the excessive coli.

N

nadia

I have never seen/ experienced this... my mom is barwani
she must be one of a kind i remember once my uber driver that happened to be barawani say "i dont identify myself as somali not even an ounce" that really caught me off guard i was tempted to say go back to the mythical that is Portugal than i remembered it was an urban legend

never heard of it either maybe a few of them that were born and raised in mombasa and malindi claim kenya but somali as the rest of yall

Maybe, but even some ethnic Somalis do that now a days.. in fact I have seen/experienced this from "ethnic Somalis" (not much tho) but never from benadiris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending