What word similarities do we share with Ethiopians?

In somali

Maternal aunt and Uncle
Habaryar and Apti

Paternal Aunt and Uncle
eedo and Adheer

It’s similar, and many other words and phrases are either similar or identical.

if I were to say you as a Somali learnt Oromo it would translate to

Soomalen Afan Oromo barte
And I’m sure in Somali it’s very similar.

Gacanka Cadmeed

انا عربي, سْنْمْ هَنولاتو‌‌‌‌, Free Azawad, 🇾🇪
It’s similar, and many other words and phrases are either similar or identical.

if I were to say you as a Somali learnt Oromo it would translate to

Soomalen Afan Oromo barte
And I’m sure in Somali it’s very similar.
The word for language Af and Affan are similar

Interesting. In Amharic Birr means silver, from which the ancient coins were made of (siver coins). From the ancient siver coin, Birr now became the name of the Ethiopian currency. Bret as you said means metal.
Southern Somalia call chicken dorro while amhara mame for chicken is dorrow

Never say to a northern Somali you want Dorro aka chicken Dorro in the North means flyid emission from the private part.
Northern Somalis call chicken digaag which sounds arabic dajaja

Apollo

VIP
What people don't realize is that the Cushitic language family (excluding Beja, yes they are Cushitic, but they split even earlier) is about as old as Indo-European.

So Cushitic languages can be almost as different from each other as German, Russian, Persian, and Spanish are from each other.

It is easier to learn Arabic than to learn other Cushitic languages for a Somali native speaker.

Nevertheless, the biggest Cushitic language: Oromo, is relatively close to Somali, but many of the other ones aren't.

Gacanka Cadmeed

What people don't realize is that the Cushitic language family (excluding Beja, yes they are Cushitic, but they split even earlier) is about as old as Indo-European.

So Cushitic languages can be almost as different from each other as German, Russian, Persian, and Spanish are from each other.

It is easier to learn Arabic than to learn other Cushitic languages for a Somali native speaker.

Nevertheless, the biggest Cushitic language: Oromo, is relatively close to Somali, but many of the other ones aren't.
What about Saho and Afar

Gacanka Cadmeed

They aren't. No major group (so excluding weird tribal laangaabs numbering in the few thousands) are linguistically close to Somalis.

Oromo is the closest major Cushitic language to Somali.
What about genetically

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
I didn't find it. Anyway, ugaas came from the word ug, who knows. While negus came from the word ngs to reign. Completely different words and sources

Here is the post where I share the link:

And here is the linguist's rundown of the words:

kthCOE4.jpg

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
It doesn't make any sense how a word for governance turns into a word for wisdom and knowledge? I'd take that with a grain of salt

? It says that a word for "good management" turns into "tribal chief". Seems reasonable to me.

Trending

Latest posts