What word similarities do we share with Ethiopians?

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
I find it interesting that the Amharic word for metal is ብረት/Bireti given that the Somali word for metal is Bir, like the name of Ethiopia's currency. This is interesting stuff because the Horn in general has very linked traditions for how craftsmen blacksmiths were historically treated and operate which sort makes me think metallurgy among Somalis likely originated in the Ethiopian Highlands and spread to us along with the word sometime within the last 2,000-3,000 years.

Oromo numbers:
  • 1 – tokko
  • 2 – lama
  • 3 – sadi
  • 4 – afur
  • 5 – shan
  • 6 – jaya
  • 7 – torba
  • 8 – saddeet
  • 9 – sagal
  • 10 – khudan
Somali numbers:

• 1 – ków
  • 2 – lába
  • 3 – sáddex
  • 4 – áfar
  • 5 – shán
  • 6 – líx
  • 7 – toddobá
  • 8 – siddéed
  • 9 – sagaal
  • 10 – toban

I find it interesting that the Amharic word for metal is ብረት/Bireti given that the Somali word for metal is Bir, like the name of Ethiopia's currency. This is interesting stuff because the Horn in general has very linked traditions for how craftsmen blacksmiths were historically treated and operate which sort makes me think metallurgy among Somalis likely originated in the Ethiopian Highlands and spread to us along with the word sometime within the last 2,000-3,000 years.

Interesting. In Amharic Birr means silver, from which the ancient coins were made of (siver coins). From the ancient siver coin, Birr now became the name of the Ethiopian currency. Bret as you said means metal.

Trending