What word similarities do we share with Ethiopians?

I was just thinking about something... In Amharic, Negus = king, In Somali Ugas = King.
They really do sound a bit related.

giphy.gif

I thought King was boqor?

Anyways for language we say "af" and I think Oromos say "afaan" or something like that.

Some of our numbers are similar too.

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
I was just thinking about something... In Amharic, Negus = king, In Somali Ugas = King.
They really do sound a bit related.

giphy.gif
Well Ne-gus actually sound something more familiar than Ugas.
But they don't share any linguistic connection Negus means to reign and ugas derived from Ug
Ugas >> Ugaal >> Ug which means wise man, and literally the one who knows

exposedmeat

i do it anyway i like
The original pronouncetion was with double a's, but then changed to e's. Maay speakers still preserve the original version
I think maay maay is the original Af Somali, I think the Garre clan are the first Somalis they migrated down to south that.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
I thought King was boqor?

Anyways for language we say "af" and I think Oromos say "afaan" or something like that.

Some of our numbers are similar too.

Afaan Oromoo
Qafar Af
Sidaamu Afoo
Af Soomaali

A lot of East-Cushitic languages use this word as the word for both mouth and language. Af is also present in Ethiosemitic languages like Amharic and Tigrinya via their Agaw substratum as the word for mouth (አፍ/Afi). It is even present in Beja as "Yēf/Yāf" as the word for mouth. A very deep root in CushItic.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
It depends on the language you are speaking of. We share many, many cognates with East Cushitic languages like Oromo:

0oMym2H.png

Oromo in particular is crazy. It shares a lot of words with Somali. I remember being given this Oromo language dictionary and history book as a gift years ago by a linguist friend and just from skimming alone I kept seeing cognates like the word for blood being "dhiiga" or something like that in their language. But there are also many cognates with Ethiosemitic and other Cushitic languages like the Agaw ones and loans as well. Somali has several documented loans from Ethiosemitic:

Ugaas is one of them and shares a root with "Negus".

Afaan Oromoo
Qafar Af
Sidaamu Afoo
Af Soomaali

A lot of East-Cushitic languages use this word as the word for both mouth and language. Af is also present in Ethiosemitic languages like Amharic and Tigrinya via their Agaw substratum as the word for mouth (አፍ/Afi). It is even present in Beja as "Yēf/Yāf" as the word for mouth. A very deep root in CushItic.

Even Arabic has Fāh (sing./accusative case), Af-waah (plural) for mouth

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Even Arabic has Fāh (sing./accusative case), Af-waah (plural) for mouth

The basic word is also "fum/fm/فم". I don't think this exists in other Semitic languages though I maybe wrong but I find it hard to be a coincidence indeed. Might be an old root in Afro-Asiatic or the Berber-Semitic-Cushitic bunch at least.

Trending