What kind of Hijab do you prefer in Somalia

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdoonkaAlle

Ragna qowl baa xira, dumarna meher baa xira.
Seriously! He said that he doesn’t like Somali ladies wearing hijab like that because it’s not our culture, but then he sent a picture of a woman who’s outfit is *ALSO* not our culture :drakewtf:
Culture argument is just a front to hide their disdain for it. There are multiple users who commented including the op (suspect also )that believe that their opinions should matter about hijab despite being gaalo .

This is why I’m convinced that excuses like culture, wahabi etc is a just a means to an end. They’re just using them to hide their true intentions not that they actually cared about them.

reer

VIP
Culture argument is just a front to hide their disdain for it. There are multiple users who commented including the op (suspect also )that believe that their opinions should matter about hijab despite being gaalo .

This is why I’m convinced that excuses like culture, wahabi etc is a just a means to an end. They’re just using them to hide their true intentions not that they actually cared about them.
they can show their disdain all they want for hijab. across the muslim world after a generation who grew up under independence (post 1979) hijab wearers increased and then later on skyrocketed across the muslim world. the train stopped for none of them.

AdoonkaAlle

Do you know what’s in their hearts to know the reasons for their choice of hijab? Hijab has nothing to do with Saudi Arabia. Muslim women (which includes Somali women) were instructed to cover up in the Quran. The jilbaab some of you are freely insulting is also mentioned in the Quran. You and the other fools here aren’t an authority on what Somali women should/shouldn’t wear.

If you consider it unsightly, that’s your problem. Mind your own business oo camal kale yeelo.
The guy is gaal so don’t bother with him.

All the Maghrebi countries have either restricted or banned hijab & niqab in one way or another. The worst was in tunisia where women weren’t allowed to wear hijab in schools, workplaces, government buildings etc.

Ever since muslim countries became colonised hijab has either been banned, restricted, regulated etc by the respective governments.

In Somalia during barre’s regime hijab was either banned or restricted. You couldn’t attend university wearing hijab, in primary through secondary education girls were also forced to wear skirts etc.

It’s not a coincidence that certain men want dumarka to be scantly dressed. There’s a benefit for them to advocate for it.

AdoonkaAlle

they can show their disdain all they want for hijab. across the muslim world after a generation who grew up under independence (post 1979) hijab wearers increased and then later on skyrocketed across the muslim world. the train stopped for none of them.
This increase in women wearing hijab is scaring them as they don’t want Islam back in the public domain. They did their utmost to erase diinta from the public sphere but it refuses to go away no matter what type of oppression they inflict on the populace.

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
Do you know what’s in their hearts to know the reasons for their choice of hijab? Hijab has nothing to do with Saudi Arabia. Muslim women (which includes Somali women) were instructed to cover up in the Quran. The jilbaab some of you are freely insulting is also mentioned in the Quran. You and the other fools here aren’t an authority on what Somali women should/shouldn’t wear.

If you consider it unsightly, that’s your problem. Mind your own business oo camal kale yeelo.
Our proximity to the gulf does play a role in the fact that we have a strict hijab custom in somalia but like I said, it's up to Somali women to decide what they wanna wear.

I don’t know which group I hate more atheists or fake Muslims.

f*ck you all.I hope the white man you worship whips you like the slave you want to be.

What's all this discussion about what a woman wears??? Let the women who wish to cover themselves do it and let the ones who don't wish to do whatever they want. If we keep forcing people to adhere to religion, where is the sincerity in them going to come from?

They are being forced by society, I spoke to many girls there when they go to Turkey and Nairobi they take it off
IDK about Turkey but in Nairobi, Somali women also wear everything short of the jilbab.

In other parts of Kenya, like in Eldoret or Naivasha is where there's freedom because most Somalis there are sijuu but even then if too many fobs move in they always bring their backward views

K-M-O

Coping through the 1st world
I don’t know which group I hate more atheists or fake Muslims.

f*ck you all.I hope the white man you worship whips you like the slave you want to be.
disagreeing against Wahabi culture doesn't make you a white worshiper. You imbecile.

I bet you think speaking English makes you a coon. come up with a better argument.

J-Rasta

Inactivated
VIP
Jilbaab are worn here too.
It's quite common, some wear jackets and garbasaar when it's cold and windy.
It's optional.
Some don't wear jilbaab and some wear it.

In 2001 no this thing didn't exist
until 2006.
Before that the majority wore Garbasaar.
When the frequent arrival of the unrecognisable generation we left behind outnumbered us, the whole dynamics changed so suddenly. Before that people didn't care what women wore to cover themselves.
Nowadays if Somali women would stroll out the streets of Somali neighborhoods and she doesn't wear that thing, she's perceived as lacking the descency of asturaad. Most women who don't wear it don't damn of what the men's remarks are.

However It's different outside the neighbourhood once
you step outside to the real country, you'll get prying eyes if you wear that thing I'm glad that few women wear it in the township.
Because locals are terrified of the sight and sometimes they target them.

One thing I'd like Somalia to abolish is this unnecessary dresscode, the Somalia I left and remember was nowhere close to what we're witnessing today.
We must eradicate this mentality and women should wear whatever they consider is appropriate without being pressurised by society standards this dictation is destroying our centuries of traditions.
You may agree or disagree with me, I just find that we are slowly losing the grip of Soomalinimo thanks to external factors.
We are adapting what's imported to our fragile nation embracing it meanwhile we forget our own history, what we're witnessing are the genocide of our traditions and culture, we'll lose our language in the coming decades , It's vocabulary is already diluted remember we don't have the legitimate transcript of our literature since the disintegration of the central government.
So expect sudden changes to happen.

Culturally and linguistically.

Like I said this is a slow but a bounding genocide creeping on the sleeping people.

Last edited:
cabaaya is alot better, that thing somalis wear is very ugly and needs to go.
somaliwomen.jpg
images (3) (3).jpeg

World

VIP
The guy is gaal so don’t bother with him.

All the Maghrebi countries have either restricted or banned hijab & niqab in one way or another. The worst was in tunisia where women weren’t allowed to wear hijab in schools, workplaces, government buildings etc.

Ever since muslim countries became colonised hijab has either been banned, restricted, regulated etc by the respective governments.

In Somalia during barre’s regime hijab was either banned or restricted. You couldn’t attend university wearing hijab, in primary through secondary education girls were also forced to wear skirts etc.

It’s not a coincidence that certain men want dumarka to be scantly dressed. There’s a benefit for them to advocate for it.
Please post proof that Siad Barre banned or restricted hijab. What specific code?

The truth is that Somalis became more “religious” after the war due to Saudi influence. Somali women showing their arms and shoulders was part of our culture for thousands of years.

The Tobe, or Abyssinian “Quarry,” is the general garment of Africa from Zayla to Bornou. In the Somali country it is a cotton sheet eight cubits long, and two breadths sewn together. An article of various uses, like the Highland plaid, it is worn in many ways; sometimes the right arm is bared; in cold weather the whole person is muffled up, and in summer it is allowed to full below the waist. Generally it is passed behind the back, rests upon the left shoulder, is carried forward over the breast, surrounds the body, and ends hanging on the left shoulder, where it displays a gaudy silk fringe of red and yellow. This is the man’s Tobe. The woman’s dress is of similar material, but differently worn: the edges are knotted generally over the right, sometimes over the left shoulder; it is girdled round the waist, below which hangs a lappet, which in cold weather can be brought like a hood over the head. Though highly becoming, and picturesque as the Roman toga, the Somali Tobe is by no means the most decorous of dresses: women in the towns often prefer the Arab costume,—a short-sleeved robe extending to the knee, and a Futah or loin-cloth underneath. -(1856) First footsteps in East Africa

6F8C61B4-D9E0-4742-A452-9AE445B1EB0D.jpeg

Not arguing that this is correct, but this is the truth.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Please post proof that Siad Barre banned or restricted hijab. What specific code?

The truth is that Somalis became more “religious” after the war due to Saudi influence. Somali women showing their arms and shoulders was part of our culture for thousands of years.

The Tobe, or Abyssinian “Quarry,” is the general garment of Africa from Zayla to Bornou. In the Somali country it is a cotton sheet eight cubits long, and two breadths sewn together. An article of various uses, like the Highland plaid, it is worn in many ways; sometimes the right arm is bared; in cold weather the whole person is muffled up, and in summer it is allowed to full below the waist. Generally it is passed behind the back, rests upon the left shoulder, is carried forward over the breast, surrounds the body, and ends hanging on the left shoulder, where it displays a gaudy silk fringe of red and yellow. This is the man’s Tobe. The woman’s dress is of similar material, but differently worn: the edges are knotted generally over the right, sometimes over the left shoulder; it is girdled round the waist, below which hangs a lappet, which in cold weather can be brought like a hood over the head. Though highly becoming, and picturesque as the Roman toga, the Somali Tobe is by no means the most decorous of dresses: women in the towns often prefer the Arab costume,—a short-sleeved robe extending to the knee, and a Futah or loin-cloth underneath. -(1856) First footsteps in East Africa

View attachment 212419

That same book also says this:
Though superstitious, the Somal are not bigoted like the Arabs, with the exception of those who, wishing to become learned, visit Yemen or El Hejaz, and catch the complaint. Nominal Mohammedans, El Islam hangs so lightly upon them, that apparently they care little for making it binding upon others.

Most Somalis around the 19th century and early 20th century were not very hyper-religious and Islam was very interwoven with local pre-Islamic customs even despite wadaado, a seemingly pre-Islamic institution in itself similar to the Qallu of Waaqeffana, traveling the country 24/7.

It was mainly those of the magaalo and who'd been heavily influenced by developments out of the Jazeera who were very conservative. In Burton's book I remember him recounting a point where one Somali dude who'd been to the Arabian Peninsula and is regarded as particularly religious for a Somali kept harassing two girls traveling with their party to cover themselves better whereas the other Somali men did not seem to care.

AdoonkaAlle

View attachment 212419

Have you ever met or talked to any of the women who studied at these universities ? take a look at the pictures that people like to post about women during barre's regime & brag about how "free" somali women were in choosing not to wear hijab. There's also pics of school girls without hijab wearing skirts.

The worst place was in muqdisho as this where the government policies were strongly implemented, there was disco's etc women here esp the middle class & above were without hijab. There's a lady by the name maryam cilmi who was a leader of a women's organization (can't remember the name), today she wears hijab but back then didn't and she talks about this and the incident regarding killing of the sheekyaasha, family law of 1975 etc. Polygamy, teaching about diinta, printing of islamic books etc was also severely restricted or banned altogether. Diinta according to barre & his ilk was seen as backwards hence the need to modernise it by any means necessary

Diinta came back to the public sphere as the regime lost ground and people were free to practise without the fear of being imprisoned, tortured or even killed. The aim of the regime was stop any sort of islamic revival as they perceived it to be a threat to their power & objectives of "modernising" dalka. It was the regime's actions that led to the increase of people moving abroad to study diinta like in saudi, egypt etc. There was homegrown resistance to barre's regime by various ulama etc.

How does a single picture of 1 somali woman negate that other somali women were dressed differently ? furthermore what makes you believe that citing the observations of a colonialist amounts to some kind of objective evidence ? i'm just shocked at the level at which you lot are willing to go to determine what is & isn't part of somali culture ? how is it that jilbaab bothers you but wearing skirts, trousers etc doesn't ?

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
I would love the fact that somali women would wear something closer to their roots like those colourful garbasaars that are still modest after all we are somali.

The people who advocate for the removal of ”arab” style jilbaabs etc are not honest people. Where are these men when 99% of the somali male population dress like europeans. Our politicians wear suits, macawiis is imported true trade. Why are these guys not advocating for this.

If you guys want to change the dress code in Somalia, you should first change yourself and be the change you want people to be. No more shirts, jeans or shaatis. Just the labo go

I would love the fact that somali women would wear something closer to their roots like those colourful garbasaars that are still modest after all we are somali.

The people who advocate for the removal of ”arab” style jilbaabs etc are not honest people. Where are these men when 99% of the somali male population dress like europeans. Our politicians wear suits, macawiis is imported true trade. Why are these guys not advocating for this.

If you guys want to change the dress code in Somalia, you should first change yourself and be the change you want people to be. No more shirts, jeans or shaatis. Just the labo go
Genuine question here, are you Muslim?

Second of all I can see you have a deep love for traditional Somali culture please tell me that you only eat camel meat and drink camel milk.And that you live the nomad life of continuous travelling and no comfort.Tell me that you’ve never worn western clothes.

Or are you just a munafiq who hates Islam and wants to hide behind Somali culture cos he’s too much of a coward to say his views honestly.

That same book also says this:

Most Somalis around the 19th century and early 20th century were not very hyper-religious and Islam was very interwoven with local pre-Islamic customs even despite wadaado, a seemingly pre-Islamic institution in itself similar to the Qallu of Waaqeffana, traveling the country 24/7.

It was mainly those of the magaalo and who'd been heavily influenced by developments out of the Jazeera who were very conservative. In Burton's book I remember him recounting a point where one Somali dude who'd been to the Arabian Peninsula and is regarded as particularly religious for a Somali kept harassing two girls traveling with their party to cover themselves better whereas the other Somali men did not seem to care.
Where they not concern with religion or did they not know much about Islam?

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
Genuine question here, are you Muslim?

Second of all I can see you have a deep love for traditional Somali culture please tell me that you only eat camel meat and drink camel milk.And that you live the nomad life of continuous travelling and no comfort.Tell me that you’ve never worn western clothes.

Or are you just a munafiq who hates Islam and wants to hide behind Somali culture cos he’s too much of a coward to say his views honestly.

You sure you quoted the right person?

Have you ever met or talked to any of the women who studied at these universities ? take a look at the pictures that people like to post about women during barre's regime & brag about how "free" somali women were in choosing not to wear hijab. There's also pics of school girls without hijab wearing skirts.

The worst place was in muqdisho as this where the government policies were strongly implemented, there was disco's etc women here esp the middle class & above were without hijab. There's a lady by the name maryam cilmi who was a leader of a women's organization (can't remember the name), today she wears hijab but back then didn't and she talks about this and the incident regarding killing of the sheekyaasha, family law of 1975 etc. Polygamy, teaching about diinta, printing of islamic books etc was also severely restricted or banned altogether. Diinta according to barre & his ilk was seen as backwards hence the need to modernise it by any means necessary

Diinta came back to the public sphere as the regime lost ground and people were free to practise without the fear of being imprisoned, tortured or even killed. The aim of the regime was stop any sort of islamic revival as they perceived it to be a threat to their power & objectives of "modernising" dalka. It was the regime's actions that led to the increase of people moving abroad to study diinta like in saudi, egypt etc. There was homegrown resistance to barre's regime by various ulama etc.

How does a single picture of 1 somali woman negate that other somali women were dressed differently ? furthermore what makes you believe that citing the observations of a colonialist amounts to some kind of objective evidence ? i'm just shocked at the level at which you lot are willing to go to determine what is & isn't part of somali culture ? how is it that jilbaab bothers you but wearing skirts, trousers etc doesn't ?
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts