What do you think of the traditional Somali style?

What do you think of the traditional Somali style?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
hairdo.jpg

This one is exclusive to Garre Somali's

XGJC1_055.JPG

Small microbraids were very common

adensomali.jpg

somali-people.-somalia-1885-old-antique-vintage-print-picture-371129-p.jpg

This particular hairstyle was known as the Fuzzy Wuzzy by the British. The Beja's of Sudan are known for it.

WlXkYJG.png

Putiing subaag (ghee/butter) in your hair was very common back then as well

a33d1956ee7412cdad864045adfd588e.jpg

The epitome of traditional Somali style. Look at the accessories :liberaltears:

girl-belonging-to-the-agaw-people-she-is-standing-in-front-of-the-fjk6e8.jpg

children-belonging-to-the-agaw-people-ethiopia-FJK6DR.jpg

Couldn't find any Somali pictures of this (these are Ethiopian), but this was a common kids hairstyle in Somalia.

I think the last generation to look like this (on a regular basis) was our grandparents generation :kendrickcry: Very sad

Last edited:
Clothes look feminine tbh . The braid hairstyle on the men looks kinda gay.

Conclusion:
I'm good with just a macawis
The men don't have braids sxb. That was a woman.
Macawis is not traditional to us. It is from South East Asia (Indonesia/Malaysia). Besides, macawis looks like a skirt :ftw9nwa:
I love traditional Somali style. :banderas: The fro is so cool.
Didn’t know about the kids hairstyle before though

Yeah, I heard about that hairstyle from some elders then I noticed that lotd of other africans have that style even North Africans. Very cool.

Those look like good times. I love to see original styles that we had in the past, i cant respect people that mimic other peoples cultures at all. Be it arab or other types of black.

I need to find a 2018 alternative for hair subaag cause that looks hard especially when I grow my hair

I don't know what you're talking about my ancestors never worn that kinda of clothes maybe you peasants did
This how my ancestors rocked
images (1).jpeg
Sultan-queen-honor.jpeg.jpg
220px-Sultan_Mohamoud_Ali_Shire_2.jpg

The men don't have braids sxb. That was a woman.
Macawis is not traditional to us. It is from South East Asia (Indonesia/Malaysia). Besides, macawis looks like a skirt :ftw9nwa:

Yeah, I heard about that hairstyle from some elders then I noticed that lotd of other africans have that style even North Africans. Very cool.

To be honest I've never worn macawis either I just said it to be a lil relevant. I'm a sad excuse for somali:mjlol:

Abkaal

Mudug menaces don't mince their words
My grandmother (AUN) told me that if a girl had dreads at that time it meant that she was not married, taken or alkuman. Please tell me if you heard the same stories?

Suárez

Every man is a Shepard to his people.
I had a Ayeeyo she used to say to us we were young kids "Allah these are the children of white turban people". Because back in the day our people wore mainly turbans not only the rich and the Garaad. The Garaad or Ugaas wore a red or multicolored turban.

I have never seen my Awoowe who was a great example of somali tradition used to wear white gunti around his chest like an X. He wore a long white macawis, a suun, a turban or kufi and the white sirwaal for the khamis.

Buttering hair I believe was a isaaq/midgaan tradition.

Timo Jareer and proud

2nd Emir of the Akh Right Movement
I had a Ayeeyo she used to say to us we were young kids "Allah these are the children of white turban people". Because back in the day our people wore mainly turbans not only the rich and the Garaad. The Garaad or Ugaas wore a red or multicolored turban.

I have never seen my Awoowe who was a great example of somali tradition used to wear white gunti around his chest like an X. He wore a long white macawis, a suun, a turban or kufi and the white sirwaal for the khamis.

Buttering hair I believe was a isaaq/******* tradition.
Buttering hair is a tradition for all Dir sub clans not just for us Isaaq's. On a side note, I find it sad that we don't wear our Tradional hair styles and even Turbans anymore.

World

VIP

Buttering hair I believe was a isaaq/******* tradition.
72D83803-6A09-4853-A05B-6DC26F7F9549.jpeg

Controversial opinion but I'm glad we've evolved from a dress that was so immodest, tbh. It's weird how you don't see a single modestly dressed Somali woman from back then. They're all unapologetically showing their shoulders and hair like some African pagans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending