What’s part of Somali history are you most proud of?

Embracing Islam

Araweelo :D

That we love Allah and Prophet Muhammad PBUH a lot

The era of Siad Barre had some positives. My mum who was from a relatively poor family (her dad was a policeman and her mum was a fruit seller) was able to get a full and very good education up til high school.

Then she went to university in Mogadishu for free (I think she got grants and free accommodation like all students from the Siad Barre administration)

You can accuse him of tribalism all you want but he was superior to the rubbish leaders we have today.

Its sad how the civil war erupted, that we hated each other over tribes...tbh, all you need to know is who your immediate family is, you don't need to know or care about tribes and clan networks.

See, even though the Siad Barre regime was based in Mogadishu and South Somalia was more economically developed cos of this, people like my mother (who is from the North) who were not from wealthy families got a chance, students from every part of Somalia went to university with her and got job placements in government and many sectors.

Its not like now when nepotism dominates the job market - you have to know some politician/powerful person or bla bla bla to get anywhere.

His era was so superior to what we have now, even the poorest masakeen would get some sort of welfare (like a free garden to plant fruit and veg, some money and a house).

ALSO- I have some gut feeling that Nabi Solomon was from Somalia and that Dawud, his father was half Ethiopian half Somali...

Don't ask me why lol. We have some Israelite traditions in our culture, afartan bax being similar to a Jewish custom for Jewish newborns.

In the Bible, Jesus was given a celebration and taken to the temple on his 40th day birthday after being born, idk I think we were a tribe of Israel at some point

If that is true then I am proud - that we followed the right religion, before Islam

Removed

Gif-King
VIP
The Shebelle Juba and Tana conquest that led our troops to Meru almost Nairobi. This is extremely niche Somali history but is likely our peak military expansion only comparable with Axmed Gureys Ethiopian expansion.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Another niche is the rebel and close friend of the Sayid Sh.Xasan Barsane who fought the italians in the south I wonder if anyone recorded his poems or sayings I would like to read them. Its amazing that they both met in Mecca and decided to free there country they are both without any doubt the greatest of Somali figures since our medieval period.

Marquis

Highly Respected
VIP
The Shebelle Juba and Tana conquest that led our troops to Meru almost Nairobi. This is extremely niche Somali history but is likely our peak military expansion only comparable with Axmed Gureys Ethiopian expansion.

Another niche is the rebel and close friend of the Sayid Sh.Xasan Barsane who fought the italians in the south I wonder if anyone recorded his poems or sayings I would like to read them. Its amazing that they both met in Mecca and decided to free there country they are both without any doubt the greatest of Somali figures since our medieval period.

IMG-20200514-WA0008.jpg

^ Hasan Barsane's followers, check out the Mobileen who where the most fanatic anti-colonialists, they fought the Italians and Ethiopians. They where one of the most powerful clans before the colonial period.

Diaspora ambassador

''Dagaalka gala'' Garaad Jaamac Garaad Cali
VIP
The parts of which i am the most proudest of are.

1. How ancient we actually are, we survived every era of humanity.
2. When we finessed the cadaans with hiking the prices of secretly forgein bought produce.
3. When we joined our fellow muslims in an navy expedition to counter the portugese offensive aimed at stealing the prophets grave.
4. That we are the first africans to send an diplomatic mission to china. This includes the first african that can speak and write one of the chinese languages, first african ambassador to china. And the first time an african gifted luxurious products and slaves in person.
5. That we dominated our part of the indian ocean.
6. That we fought and enslaved portugese soldiers kkkkk.
7. That we are the first africans to use an guns against europeans.
8. That we where savage to the point that the UN ordred that somalis will be over seeing the italians, the europeans signed numerous treaties and we still revolted (bless the people of that era)
9.that we are seen as an threat to neo colonialism in africa.(for the people who don't understand, it basically means that they are afraid that we once again lobby for the liberation of sub sahara africa)
10. That the somali people conquered massive territories with an extremely low population compared to our neighbour's and region at large.

Marquis

Highly Respected
VIP
Everyone, little to no records of our own, foreigners have to tell our own "history" for us and we are completely overshadowed by Ethiopia's history.

To be fair we were always considerably outnumbered by Ethiopians, it was always a David vs Goliath conflict between us and the Abyssinians, it's why the Adal war and Ogaden War are placed in such a high pedestal in Somali folklore.

Villainess

smooth talk on a rainy summer evening
ALSO- I have some gut feeling that Nabi Solomon was from Somalia and that Dawud, his father was half Ethiopian half Somali...

LOOL Sulayman a.s was from Jerusalem, Palestine.

And indeed We gave knowledge to David and Solomon, and they both said: "All the praises and thanks be to Allah, Who has preferred us above many of His believing slaves!"

He could have been black, who knows. But he wasn't from Somalia in any way

Trending

Latest posts