Votes: 15 40.5%
  • no

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • maybe

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • don't know where to buy

Votes: 13 35.1%

• Total voters
This I prefer to the Arab robe, and it was old Somali style, with a nice pair of leather shoes, as seen in old b&w photos of grandparents. I have seen these popularised in Kannada (S India), Aceh (Indonesia) etc.

75ee2abafbd68490d55a9c009e6af66d.jpg

Strawberry

๐’š๐’๐’–๐’„,Soomaalinimada,๐’–๐’๐’˜๐’’๐’†๐’˜
What did they wear under those jackets tho? Is it the same fabric?
Okay, so that's one of the things I tried to figure out, and from what I noticed, they wore two types of clothing: one layered, like in this picture, where he's wearing the wrap, and layered over with the white cloak, like in SULDAAN OLOL DIINLE's 3rd picture. The pattern appears to have four main pieces, and the collars had buttons and resembled almost a flat tailored collar, but most tend to stand solid, so I'm betting it's the different fabric they use or how well they took care of it.

1 .jpg
2 .jpg

14225604_1218970738144657_2529747786079489355_n-2.jpg

3 .jpg
DLU3xHw.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Also, I texted my aunt, and she is going to ask the people in the Alindi fabric store, which the majority of them know. When she responds, I will tell you more, but for now, this is my observation as a fashion and textile major, and I hope it helps.

Attachments

• 14225604_1218970738144657_2529747786079489355_n-2.jpg
    14225604_1218970738144657_2529747786079489355_n-2.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 34

Barni

โš ๏ธ EPILEPTIC WARNING โš ๏ธ
You should as it is far more underrepresented than dirac and guntinno

Internet Nomad

๐‘ฎ๐’๐’๐’† ๐’‡๐’๐’“ ๐’ˆ๐’“๐’†๐’†๐’๐’†๐’“ ๐’‘๐’‚๐’”๐’•๐’–๐’“๐’†๐’”
VIP
This is such a great thread it makes me happy that there are hopes of a somali cultural revoultion where we can embrance our culture in somali and muslim way. Some COONS tend to think Arab = muslim

Hopefully one day we can transition from that acursed latin script to the Osmaniya script

This is such a great thread it makes me happy that there are hopes of a somali cultural revoultion where we can embrance our culture in somali and muslim way. Some COONS tend to think Arab = muslim

Hopefully one day we can transition from that acursed latin script to the Osmaniya script
I completely agree. But should we find a more neater and older version Script that we used to use (which there is evidence of) and collect it into a modern day alphabet we could use. Then I say we use that.

Internet Nomad

๐‘ฎ๐’๐’๐’† ๐’‡๐’๐’“ ๐’ˆ๐’“๐’†๐’†๐’๐’†๐’“ ๐’‘๐’‚๐’”๐’•๐’–๐’“๐’†๐’”
VIP
I completely agree. But should we find a more neater and older version Script that we used to use (which there is evidence of) and collect it into a modern day alphabet we could use. Then I say we use that.
we should get any native scripts, ge'ez and a bit of arabic and mix all of them into one script which would embody the somali culture.

we should get any native scripts, ge'ez and a bit of arabic and mix all of them into one script which would embody the somali culture.
There has been evidence of an old script in ruins of Northern Somalia which was based on vowel like modern day alphabets. We could simply use that instead of having some bastardized version of a script like that.

Trending