Turkey pushing for Somalia-Kenya talks over maritime row

MT Foxtrot

Anti-qabil

This is a cross-post from Reddit.

The user ToDonutsBeTheGlory's submission statement:
All the adoration of Turkey by Somalis always struck me as naïve and excessive.

Somalis thought because the Turks gave them some aid and built some roads, the Turks were going to be their big brothers, selflessly acting on behalf of Somali interests. Wrong.

The Turks have a keen eye for building empire and gaining strategic leverage. The Turks are interested in Somalia as real estate, market, and access to Africa. Beyond that, they have no interest in Somalis or their problems. Giving handouts and building a few clinics is a cookie-cutter approach to accumulating soft power.

Now, right as the case in the ICJ heats up, the Turks, seeking to deepen their influence in East Africa and woo strategically important Kenya, want Somalia to drop its legitimate rights and come to an informal "agreement" on how much of Somalia's rich ocean territory Kenya can take. It is outrageous.

Viewing Turkey - genocidal, imperial, economically hungry Turkey - as guardian protector was bad judgement. It's time to see Turkey for what it is - another country acting for its own strategic interests, and willing to have Somalia take a loss if it means Turkey gains.

They continue:
Interestingly, Turkey itself is violating international maritime laws.

Of course they don't want a precedent continued of states seeking and winning their maritime cases in court. That makes them look even worse, as they are violating Greece's waters. They want informal settlements or naked power plays because that's how they themselves are behaving.

MT Foxtrot

Anti-qabil
Countries do not have permanent allies or enemies, only interests. It seems that our interests with Ankara have already diverged on this particular issue. Turkey is now pushing for settlement with Kenya that will deny Somalia what is legally hers. I hope the FGS does the right thing and resists these efforts.

I said it before and I’ll say it again Turkey only cares about it’s own self interests. They want to do a behind closed doors agreement, Turkey know full well if the ICJ case goes ahead Somalia will win the case easily.

Turkey is an ally to both Somalia and Kenya so you can bet they’ll take a neutral approach .

Countries do not have permanent allies or enemies, only interests. It seems that our interests with Ankara have already diverged on this particular issue. Turkey is now pushing for settlement with Kenya that will deny Somalia what is legally hers. I hope the FGS does the right thing and resists these efforts.
But our government is so heavily reliant on Turkey that they’ll probably buckle under the pressure. I really hope our FGS proves me wrong and stands firm on our maritime sovereignty

Tucking_Fypo

سلطنة مجرتين
VIP
118 vehicles thats a huge contract deals like this shows where turkish interest are prioritized, together with Qatar they already own SFG now is mambo kenya.

20210226_163811.jpg

But our government is so heavily reliant on Turkey that they’ll probably buckle under the pressure. I really hope our FGS proves me wrong and stands firm on our maritime sovereignty
It's a mutual interest. They have favouriblity because they have been decent so far. They have extensive investments and strategic interest they don't want to jeopardise.

AishaBarri

It’s not that serious
All outsiders only care about their interests. Idk why people think Turkey is any different. When will we learn lol

Jiron

wanaag
NABADOON
VIP
There's nothing wrong with Turkey asking us as Kenya, one of their clients, is throwing tantrums. The answer will be no and the case will proceed as is. There's no Somali alive today that could go against the country when it comes to the maritime issues. The national threat transcends politics, region, qabiil and so on :)

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP

Turkey has to many interests in Somalia like the Space Port to side with Kenya on this issue. Also no Somali government would survive being the ones that gave up our sovereignty. I see these talks as more what will happen after ICJ ruling comes down, so there is no actual war.

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP
All outsiders only care about their interests. Idk why people think Turkey is any different. When will we learn lol

Turkey definitely gets its benefits, but there's a difference between one sided relationships and mutually beneficial ones which there's is with us so far.

Nothing will happen regardless, it seems Erdogan is just trying to spread Turkeys interests by smoothing out talks. This is a game of geopolitics and the side that has the most benefits is the one the nation will support and I doubt Ankara would want to further embroil itself in this dispute especially since they’re tangled up in a similar one with Greece.
It especially wouldn’t make sense “abandoning” Somalia immediately after these billions of dollars investments without even reaping the benefits.

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
The N&N bots are learning crisis management. They posted this in a hurry knowing we would ridicule them, they got ahead of the story. Fascinating.

:hmm:

I suspect there won’t be any drones or anti aircraft missiles from Turkey any time soon.

MT Foxtrot

Anti-qabil
The N&N bots are learning crisis management. They posted this in a hurry knowing we would ridicule them, they got ahead of the story. Fascinating.

:hmm:

It is not lost on me that you must frame wadanis holding the government accountable as a negative because it undermines your "bot" narrative. I did not post this article to avoid ridicule but to raise awareness that the only people Somalis can, and should, rely on is each other. Turkey will not be our deliverance, but midnimo and qaranimo might. I can only imagine the narcissism required to come to your conclusion. Take your meds.

:hova:

Kulaha "got ahead of the story", get ahead of what? A mildly acerbic comment by some random Farah with an Eminem avi? Delusional.