Tiktok video highlights how many Arabic words in our language

lahjad is Arabic. hows your dialect the purest when your using Arabic words out here
you know languages evolve and develop over time but what's spoken in the south especially in the coastal cities aint pure cuz af somali originates from the north

alien

📍outer space
VIP
you know languages evolve and develop over time but what's spoken in the south especially in the coastal cities aint pure cuz af somali originates from the north
I've told you Im not from the South :gucciwhat:

youre the one who was just claiming waqooyi dialect is the purest os I pointed out you used an Arabic word. now languages are able to change

and you use Arabic words for no reason. no wonder your women sound like men
Arabic and somali share a long history together as arabic was the lingua franca of the somali people for the 800 years before somali alphabet was introduced and our alphabet are arabic letters lol:chrisfreshhah:

alien

📍outer space
VIP
Arabic and somali share a long history together as arabic was the lingua franca of the somali people for the 800 years before somali alphabet was introduced and our alphabet are arabic letters lol:chrisfreshhah:
:gucciwhat: :camby:

that attitude is going to make us like sudan

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
Darods who lived in Bay pre-civil war were bigoted mofos who only associated with Maxa speaking Darods and refuse to speak Maay at home despite some of them living there for several generations.

Linguistic divides can bring out a lot of bigotry, even worse than tribalism. Look up Finland Swedes who speak Swedish as their 1st language and how they piss off local ethnic Finns.
Do you know about these folk, once I visited a swedish speaking city, and got violated when I spoke Finnish, straight racism, once a cashier didn't like me not speaking swedish, or serving in English. Then she said speak the language of the country and try to integrate, it was kinda a dilemma since Finnish and swedish are both official languages and spoke as mother tongue by the Finnish citizens.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
:gucciwhat: :camby:

that attitude is going to make us like sudan

It is true tho. Any Somali that was educated pre-1960 was fluent in Arabic. If you wanted to write a letter, it was in Arabic. If you were a dugsi teacher, you taught in Arabic.

Most Somali books pre-1960 are in Arabic. The most famous Somali book (Futuh Al-Habash), a book about Ahmed Gurey's wars against Ethiopia, was written in Arabic. Even Ahmed Gurey's name was Ahmed ibn Ibrahim al-Ghazi and was Somalised under Barre.

In the lead-up to independence, many prominent Somalis were considering ditching the Somali language in official circles and promoting Arabic for school-children. This was because both the Italian and British colonies had a large Arabic speaking population and was a common language that religious, cultural and practical benefits.

The 1969 coup prevented this from happening as Siyaad Barre ditched Arabic and devised the Latin script for Somali. However, when he was joining the Arab league there was criticism of his attitude towards the Arabic language and he ended up reinstating it as an official language.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Yes you're absolutely right, we don't know who borrowed what from whom! Here are some words that I thought they were Somali/Arabic words, but to my surprise I found out we have Hebrew words in our language. Can you believe it we have jewish words in Somali language.

English>>>>>>Somali>>>>>>>>>Hebrew
Dad>>>>>>>>>Aabo>>>>>>>>>>Aba
Pineapple>>>>Cananas>>>>>>>Ananas
Sweet potato>Batati>>>>>>>>>>Batata
Onion>>>>>>>Basal>>>>>>>>>>>Batsal
Salt>>>>>>>>>Milix>>>>>>>>>>>Melikh
Soup>>>>>>>>Maraq>>>>>>>>>>Marak
Soap>>>>>>>>Saabuun>>>>>>>>Sabon
Sugar>>>>>>>Sonkor>>>>>>>>>>Sukar
Pepper>>>>>>Filfil>>>>>>>>>>>>Pilpel
I am/me>>>>>Ani/aniga>>>>>>>Ani

I know we use those words daily so do Jewish people. If you wanna check (source) google 500 basic Hebrew words.

Bro,

You do know all the "Somali" words you listed there except for Aabo and Aniga are Arabic loan words.

You played yourself. :farmajoyaab:

It is like saying, I did not know Somali had common words with French: We say lavaajo and they say lavage. When the former is an Italian loanword.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
man i missed the vid someone break it down for me

Two Arab (Yemen and Palestine) and one Somali girls did a language comparison video. A lot of the words they compared were similar.

The controversy was that the Arab girls laughed at two of the Somali words, which was inappropriate. In spite of this, the Somali girl did call watermelon "khare", which is poop in Arabic.

Yes you're absolutely right, we don't know who borrowed what from whom! Here are some words that I thought they were Somali/Arabic words, but to my surprise I found out we have Hebrew words in our language. Can you believe it we have jewish words in Somali language.

English>>>>>>Somali>>>>>>>>>Hebrew
Dad>>>>>>>>>Aabo>>>>>>>>>>Aba
Pineapple>>>>Cananas>>>>>>>Ananas
Sweet potato>Batati>>>>>>>>>>Batata
Onion>>>>>>>Basal>>>>>>>>>>>Batsal
Salt>>>>>>>>>Milix>>>>>>>>>>>Melikh
Soup>>>>>>>>Maraq>>>>>>>>>>Marak
Soap>>>>>>>>Saabuun>>>>>>>>Sabon
Sugar>>>>>>>Sonkor>>>>>>>>>>Sukar
Pepper>>>>>>Filfil>>>>>>>>>>>>Pilpel
I am/me>>>>>Ani/aniga>>>>>>>Ani

I know we use those words daily so do Jewish people. If you wanna check (source) google 500 basic Hebrew words.
All of the Words you posted are not loanwords that we borrowed from Hebrew. Some of the words you listed are just cognates that we share with Hebrew and are equally native in both languages [such as Abo & Ani etc.] and Arabic loanwords.

Apollo

VIP
All of the Words you posted are not loanwords that we borrowed from Hebrew. Some of the words you listed are just cognates that we share with Hebrew and are equally native in both languages [such as Abo & Ani etc.] and Arabic loanwords.

Ani is Afro-Asiatic.

Aniga is creole with Nilotic.

🤭😂

Two Arab (Yemen and Palestine) and one Somali girls did a language comparison video. A lot of the words they compared were similar.

The controversy was that the Arab girls laughed at two of the Somali words, which was inappropriate. In spite of this, the Somali girl did call watermelon "khare", which is poop in Arabic.
whats a somali doing hanging out with TWO arabs? you never wanna be the odd one out in trio. its either a trio of one ethnicity or a trio of three ethnicities :MNWheelchair:

Kamaal

Sidii roon Raba og

I'm glad you quoted me because someone decided to delete my post and I don't know why. It's not that I made it up, I even gave them the source.

Trending