Tiktok video highlights how many Arabic words in our language

all those words are taken from arabic. a lot of standard somali words are taken from arabic.
Who says? Is there any prove who borrowed what from whom? There’s has never been definitive source that says this.

edit: it’s often concluded that the Afro-asiatic language family actually originated in East Africa and spread out of Africa just as most of human civilization or origins did. This idea that the genetics, languages, cultures, religions etc of E.Africa originated from elsewhere and migrated into E.Africa from outside is probably one the biggest bs ever propagated in recent history. It’s sad to see so many people falling for it.

why is everyone calling Qare "Khare". since when was Qare said with KH :faysalwtf:
I agree, I’ve noticed it here a lot that people tend to use Kh in the place of Q often. Like you’ll see people write khasaaro rather than Qasaaro etc.

Last edited:

alien

📍outer space
VIP
I agree, I’ve noticed it here a lot that people tend to use Kh in the place of Q often. Like you’ll see people write khasaaro rather than Qasaaro etc.
Pretty sure khasaaro is the correct way since it is a loan. somalis tend to replace the KH to Q because the KH sound is completely not native to somali languages. all he KH words are Arabic. but Qare is native and should be said with a Q and not a KH

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Who says? Is there any prove who borrowed what from whom? There’s has never been definitive source that says this.

You can easily google linguistic sources like this that show Somali dialects are generally teeming with Arabic loanwords. There's no shame in it. Arabic doesn't necessarily denote "Arabs". Arabs themselves practically became irrelevant after the first couple of hundred years after the conquests and were outstripped by Turks, Berbers and resurgent Iranics all over the former conquered lands but Arabic still remained as a language of trade, liturgy and in many cases the sciences as well.

And it was this wider, Arabic using civilization that stretched once from bloody Iberia to Northwest India and from the Caucasus to the Swahili coast that left a strong influence on Somalis who more than partook and produced many scholars, at least in religious and philosophical matters, throughout the Middle-Ages and Early Modern era who were respected in places like the Hejaz and Cairo. We are a part of Islamic civilization. That is not nothing to downplay or be ashamed of.

alien

📍outer space
VIP
You can easily google linguistic sources like this that show Somali dialects are generally teeming with Arabic loanwords. There's no shame in it. Arabic doesn't necessarily denote "Arabs". Arabs themselves practically became irrelevant after the first couple of hundred years after the conquests and were outstripped by Turks, Berbers and resurgent Iranics all over the former conquered lands but Arabic still remained as a language of trade, liturgy and in many cases the sciences as well.

And it was this wider, Arabic using civilization that stretched once from bloody Iberia to Northwest India and from the Caucasus to the Swahili coast that left a strong influence on Somalis who more than partook and produced many scholars, at least in religious and philosophical matters, throughout the Middle-Ages and Early Modern era who were respected in places like the Hejaz and Cairo. We are a part of Islamic civilization. That is not nothing to downplay or be ashamed of.
what I don't understand is why simple words like Dooro and Beyd replaced in northern dialects

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
what I don't understand is why simple words like Dooro and Beyd replaced in northern dialects

Yeah, basic loanwords always perturbed me, won't lie. Even simple conjunctions like "laakiin". Why bother borrowing that?

Its so hard to watch the somali girl is getting bullied im getting second hand embarrassment.

Doesn't seem like bullying. Seems more like the two arab girls are being childish and she's getting irritated with them rightfully. She kept her composure, so good on her but she should defo reevaluate her friendship with them. She seems young so I'll give it a few more months/years and she'll start distancing herself.

Doesn't seem like bullying. Seems more like the two arab girls are being childish and she's getting irritated with them rightfully. She kept her composure, so good on her but she should defo reevaluate her friendship with them. She seems young so I'll give it a few more months/years and she'll start distancing herself.
Hope so, I would've their car and wouldn't put up with that shit. By watching the video she was cringing too, hope she leaves.

The SL/Djibouti dialect words are basically identical to the Yemeni one lmao damn. We say xabxab, sharabad and daqiq

On a side note that video reminded me why I dont tend to get along with arab girls. They’re shady asf and look down on somalis but pretend that they don’t. I could tell that she was pissed lmao sis needs new friends

Kamaal

Sidii roon Raba og

edit: it’s often concluded that the Afro-asiatic language family actually originated in East Africa and spread out of Africa just as most of human civilization or origins did. This idea that the genetics, languages, cultures, religions etc of E.Africa originated from elsewhere and migrated into E.Africa from outside is probably one the biggest bs ever propagated in recent history. It’s sad to see so many people falling for it.

Yes you're absolutely right, we don't know who borrowed what from whom! Here are some words that I thought they were Somali/Arabic words, but to my surprise I found out we have Hebrew words in our language. Can you believe it we have jewish words in Somali language.

English>>>>>>Somali>>>>>>>>>Hebrew
Dad>>>>>>>>>Aabo>>>>>>>>>>Aba
Pineapple>>>>Cananas>>>>>>>Ananas
Sweet potato>Batati>>>>>>>>>>Batata
Onion>>>>>>>Basal>>>>>>>>>>>Batsal
Salt>>>>>>>>>Milix>>>>>>>>>>>Melikh
Soup>>>>>>>>Maraq>>>>>>>>>>Marak
Soap>>>>>>>>Saabuun>>>>>>>>Sabon
Sugar>>>>>>>Sonkor>>>>>>>>>>Sukar
Pepper>>>>>>Filfil>>>>>>>>>>>>Pilpel
I am/me>>>>>Ani/aniga>>>>>>>Ani

I know we use those words daily so do Jewish people. If you wanna check (source) google 500 basic Hebrew words.

Last edited:

alien

📍outer space
VIP
Yes you're absolutely right, we don't know who borrowed what from whom! Here are some words that I thought they were Somali/Arabic words, but to my surprise I found out we have Hebrew words in our language. Can you believe it we have jewish words in Somali language.

English>>>>>>Somali>>>>>>>>>Hebrew
Dad>>>>>>>>>Aabo>>>>>>>>>>Aba
Pineapple>>>>Cananas>>>>>>>Ananas
Sweet potato>Batati>>>>>>>>>>Batata
Onion>>>>>>>Basal>>>>>>>>>>>Batsal
Salt>>>>>>>>>Milix>>>>>>>>>>>Melikh
Soup>>>>>>>>Maraq>>>>>>>>>>Marak
Soap>>>>>>>>Saabuun>>>>>>>>Sabon
Sugar>>>>>>>Sonkor>>>>>>>>>>Sukar
Pepper>>>>>>Filfil>>>>>>>>>>>>Pilpel
I am/me>>>>>Ani/aniga>>>>>>>Ani

I know we use those words daily so do Jewish people. If you wanna check (source) google 500 basic Hebrew words.
aabo is native. it comes from proto afro asiatic. it's not a loan word. also Oromo uses aabba which shows its not a loan

also ani/aniga is native too. why would we replace dad and me with Hebrew when it's so far away

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP

For the linguistic origin of afro asiatic languages. It will a long read, but it would not take more than 20 min

Darods who lived in Bay pre-civil war were bigoted mofos who only associated with Maxa speaking Darods and refuse to speak Maay at home despite some of them living there for several generations.

Linguistic divides can bring out a lot of bigotry, even worse than tribalism. Look up Finland Swedes who speak Swedish as their 1st language and how they piss off local ethnic Finns.

Kkkk they are mad because swedish is compulsory to take for the whole country. You can’t work in certain government positions if you don’t know swedish etc. I understand that laakiin them swedish ones know finnish too. So its not onesided.

I would take this model and make somalis learn af maay and those who speak af maay they will learn af maxaa. Keeps peace etc.

We don't even need these loan words. There are Somali words for them. I think some pretentious people use them to slowly arabicize the language. For instance, we have Canjeelo/Canjeero but people in the north like to use "Laxoox" for no reason other than it's an Arabic loan word.

I get having a loan word for a word such as: GPU, Computer, or things invented recently. Why do we need loan words for things as simple as days, months, or door? It's the purposeful negligence of Somali words that doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah this is true. For example somalis use the word tartiib which means slow/calm. We have a somali equilevant aayar which has the same meaning. We have unfortunately replaced some words with others due to idiocity

Trending