ThatsSoRene weirdo is at it again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ancient Egyptian literature stated that anything past Aswan along the Red Sea and Nile was Nubian.

That area includes northern Somalia.

:manny:

The Periplus of the Erythrean Sea (written in 150AD) stated that the cities of Mosylon and Sarapion (Bosasso and Xamar) were Arab and Indian trading ports with a local population.

1. We don't know who the locals were

2. This was over 400 years before Muhammad SAW's birth, so those Arabs were gaalo.

3. We do not know what happened to the ajnabis or the locals.

-----

I think we could never really determine where Somalis came from.

However, today Somalis are Cushitic peoples and the past is not relevant apart from satisfying some curiosity about the history of Somalis.

Wait, I found crucial information.

After re-reading Periplus of the Erythrean Sea (English translation), there is some evidence of Somali peoples in Somalia.

After about four thousand stadia, for those sailing eastward along the same coast, there are other Berber market-towns, known as the "far-side" ports; lying at intervals one after the other, without harbors but having roadsteads where ships can anchor and lie in good weather. The first is called Avalites; to this place the voyage from Arabia to the far-side coast is the shortest. Here there is a small market-town called Avalites , which must be reached by boats and rafts. There are imported into this place, flint glass, assorted; juice of sour grapes from Diospolis; dressed cloth, assorted, made for the Berbers; wheat, wine, and a little tin. There are exported from the same place, and sometimes by the Berbers themselves crossing on rafts to Ocelis and Muza on the opposite shore, spices, a little ivory, tortoise-shell, and a very little myrrh, but better than the rest. And the Berbers who live in the place are very unruly.

They describe the land past Eritrea (approximately), as "Berber country" and mention a town called Avalites. After some research, I found Avalites to be the Greek name for Zeila, Awdal.

Some useful information from that quote:

1. Mention that the inhabitants are Berbers, Somalis have always been mistaken for Berbers most notably by Ibn Battuta. So they were probably talking about Somalis.

2. They mention Avalites, which is now known to be Zeila.

3. They call the inhabitants unruly, a common stereotype about Somalis.

Upon re-reading this journal, they mention a lot of Somali coastal settlements in succinct detail.

Here is the link: https://depts.washington.edu/silkroad/texts/periplus/periplus.html

-----

Berbera (Malao):

After Avalites there is another market-town, better than this, called Malao, distant a sail of about eight hundred stadia. The anchorage is an open road-stead, sheltered by a spit running out from the east. Here the natives are more peaceable. There are imported into this place the things already mentioned, and many tunics, cloaks from Arsinoe, dressed and dyed; drinking-cups, sheets of soft copper in small quantity, iron, and gold and silver coin, not much. There are exported from these places myrrh, a little frankincense (that known as “far-side”), the harder cinnamon, duaca, Indian copal and macir, which are imported into Arabia; and slaves, but rarely.

Xiis, Sanaag (Mundus):

Two days' sail, or three, beyond Malao is the market-town of Mundus, where the ships lie at anchor more safely behind a projecting island close to the shore. There are imported into this place the things previously set forth, and from it likewise are exported the merchandise already stated, and the incense calledmocrotu. And the traders living here are more quarrelsome [Greek sklêros: “tough”—i.e., shrewd traders].

Bosasso (Mosyllon):

Beyond Mundus, sailing toward the east, after another two days' sail, or three, you reach Mosyllum, on a beach, with a bad anchorage. There are imported here the same things already mentioned, also silver plate, a very little iron, and glass. There are shipped from the place a great quantity of cinnamon, (so that this market-town requires ships of larger size), and fragrant gums, spices, a little tortoise shell, and mocrotu, (poorer than that of Mundus), frankincense [from] the “far-side”, ivory and myrrh in small quantities.

Hafuun (Opone):

And then, after sailing four hundred stadia along a promontory, toward which place the current also draws you, there is another market-town called Opone, into which the same things are imported as those already mentioned, and in it the greatest quantity of cinnamon is produced, (the arebo and moto), and slaves of the better sort, which are brought to Egypt in increasing numbers; and a great quantity of tortoise-shell, better than that found elsewhere.

Mogadishu (Sarapion) & Bur Gao (Nicon):

Then come the small and great beach for another six days' course and after that in order, the Courses of Azania, the first being called Sarapion and the next Nicon; and after that several rivers and other anchorages, one after the other, separately a rest and a run for each day, seven in all, until the Pyralae islands and what is called the channel; beyond which, a little to the south of south-west, after two courses of a day and night along the Ausanitic coast, is the island Menuthias, about three hundred stadia from the main-land, low and wooded, in which there are rivers and many kinds of birds and the mountain-tortoise. There are no wild beasts except the crocodiles; but there they do not attack men. In this place there are sewed boats, and canoes hollowed from single logs, which they use for fishing and catching tortoise. In this island they also catch them in a peculiar way, in wicker baskets, which they fasten across the channel-opening between the breakers.

World

VIP
Wait, I found crucial information.

After re-reading Periplus of the Erythrean Sea (English translation), there is some evidence of Somali peoples in Somalia.

They describe the land past Eritrea (approximately), as "Berber country" and mention a town called Avalites. After some research, I found Avalites to be the Greek name for Zeila, Awdal.

Some useful information from that quote:

1. Mention that the inhabitants are Berbers, Somalis have always been mistaken for Berbers most notably by Ibn Battuta. So they were probably talking about Somalis.

2. They mention Avalites, which is now known to be Zeila.

3. They call the inhabitants unruly, a common stereotype about Somalis.
Wow I’m so surprised

Are you telling me that Somalia was inhabited by Somalis?

What a shocker.

Wow I’m so surprised

Are you telling me that Somalis was inhabited by Somalis?

What a shocker.

This is definitive proof from academic sources at that time. They write about the towns, their trades and the peoples. They even mention that Somalis were not ruled by a monarch but each had their own chiefs.

Ancient Greeks were talking about Qabiil in 150AD.

World

VIP
Periplus and Geographia (both Greco-Roman books) are the only sources about Somalis prior to Islam.
In the space of 15 minutes, you went from claiming that Somali ports were Arab/Indian trading posts, to saying that Somali ports were (surprise) inhabited by Somalis.

Given your ignorance, just keep quiet for your own sake. Reading your nonsense is embarrassing enough.

In the space of 15 minutes, you went from claiming that Somali ports were Arab/Indian trading posts, to saying that Somali ports were (surprise) inhabited by Somalis.

Given your ignorance, just keep quiet for your own sake.

Both the documents say that Arabs and Indians traded at the ports owned by an unnamed native population.

After reading from the beginning, I realised they mentioned that the natives were Berber and stopped mentioning it thereafter.

It was my mistake as I command+F the document to get straight to information about Somalia.

Depends, it wouldn’t take that long for Somalis. Maybe 2000 years/50 generations if we got dropped in the middle of Russia or something.

What about happen is that dark skin Somalis that couldn't synthesize vitamin D would get sick and die off before they could reproduce. The lighter skinned Somalis would continue on to reproduce as they could synthesize adequate vitamin D with less melanin in their skin. Eventually, the lighter members of the Somali population would survive and with minor genetic mutation and stress, the population could very well become lighter and lighter.

View attachment 62538

Guy to the left will have children, guy to the right will die.
guy to the right already has children :siilaanyolaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending