South Korean birth rate continues to crater

South Korea is a strange place. It’s taken the worst aspects of modernity and the worst aspects of traditionalism. Women are forced to work due to how expensive the country is, women don’t have access to affordable childcare, its basically a hyper capitalist nightmare, but in the same breath, women are humiliated at work in highly skilled well paying professional settings in which they’re told they have to wash up after their male colleagues! It’s like something out of black mirror!

South Korea is a strange place. It’s taken the worst aspects of modernity and the worst aspects of traditionalism. Women are forced to work due to how expensive the country is, women don’t have access to affordable childcare, its basically a hyper capitalist nightmare, but in the same breath, women are humiliated at work in highly skilled well paying professional settings in which they’re told they have to wash up after their male colleagues! It’s like something out of black mirror!

My God, I had no idea that they did anything as retrogressive as that

My God, I had no idea that they did anything as retrogressive as that
I didn’t as well. I just watched that BBC interview in which South Korean women in sectors like politics and banking were talking about their experiences! One woman was mocked and humiliated by her boss because she wouldn’t cook for them or clean up after then and she was working in finance! They also pay them a lot less than their male counterparts.

Very weird place. Women have to fend for themselves, but at the same time, they want to humiliate women force them to do extra work associated with a stay at home looked after housewife.

GemState

36/21
VIP
Somalia's birthrate is already declining
It's stalled for 4 decades as a result of the Civil War. Somalia is essentially going through what Afghanistan did as a result of the Soviet invasion in the 80s. Which was bascially all modernization and development stopping completely and fertility staying sky high. Palestine, Yemen and Syria are seeing the same effects.

20231203_190124.jpg

Their men are just unf*ckable lol :pachah1:
Their "men" are basically undisguisable from the women if you slap a bit of make-up and stick a wig on em.

But you have to admit, they're one of the few indoyaars from that region who aren't emotionally constipated. Best way I can put it is they have a soul, unlike the robotic/hive-mind chinks and Japanese. You'd think the -ban would make them hyper sexual and persuit women relentlessly, but it seems like these twinks only want to cake on concealer and 2hrs fixing their hair. But you're right, you can't treat women like shit and act surprised by the outcome :heh: :heh:

GemState

36/21
VIP
Their "men" are basically undisguisable from the women if you slap a bit of make-up and stick a wig on em.

But you have to admit, they're one of the few indoyaars from that region who aren't emotionally constipated. Best way I can put it is they have a soul, unlike the robotic/hive-mind chinks and Japanese. You'd think the -ban would make them hyper sexual and persuit women relentlessly, but it seems like these twinks only want to cake on concealer and 2hrs fixing their hair. But you're right, you can't treat women like shit and act surprised by the outcome :heh: :heh:
Koreans are known to be extremely nationalistic and more confrontational than other East Asians. Think it's because of being sandwiched between China and Japan, getting passed around makes them guarded I guess lol

hinters

E pluribus unum
VIP

Korea is just more westernized than Japan or China, but in the worst way possible.

3LetterzMM

LG gang we gon slide for my nigga 🤐🥷
South Korea needs a contingent of 20k African males from the Maghreb to the Bantus to Muslim Horners to the West Africans and extra 1500 Jamaicans and you will see a new baby boomer generation there 😂😂
The 1500 yawdmon alone is enough those niggas don't care fr

GemState

36/21
VIP
@Reformed J @Chaseyourdreamzz

You both might find this interesting, since it ties into broader East Asian demographics.

An remarkably underexamined trend is just how much South East Asia has grown relative to East Asia. The growth experienced in SEA during the 19th century is not seen anywhere else in Asia. My favorite demographic fact is that Japan had a larger population than the US when Perry arrived in 1854, it's a place that basically didn't grow at all for a few centuries.

For example, Japan went from more than 7x as populated as Java in 1800 to less than 2x by 1960.
20231204_044727.jpg

As a whole, East Asia had 13x the population of SEA by the start of the 19th century

Currently East Asia only has 3x as many people, and the gap will only shrink as sharp depopulation happens. It's a place that's been seeing relative decline for centuries.

Last edited:
@Reformed J @Chaseyourdreamzz

You both might find this interesting, since it ties into broader East Asian demographics.

An remarkably underexamined trend is just how much South East Asia has grown relative to East Asia. The growth experienced in SEA during the 19th century is not seen anywhere else in Asia. My favorite demographic fact is that Japan had a larger population than the US when Perry arrived in 1854, it's a place that basically didn't grow at all for a few centuries.

For example, Japan went from more than 7x as populated as Java in 1800 to less than 2x by 1960.
View attachment 306002

As a whole, East Asia had 13x the population of SEA by the start of the 19th century

Currently East Asia only has 3x as many people, and the gap will only shrink as sharp depopulation happens. It's a place that's been seeing relative decline for centuries.
I just saw Japan's TFR was ~3.6 in the 1870s, that seems awfully low for an unindustrialized farming country. Any reason why?

I just saw Japan's TFR was ~3.6 in the 1870s, that seems awfully low for an unindustrialized farming country. Any reason why?
Industrialization undercut the previous economic base share, leading to high differential growth, resulting in a rapid rise in novel Western-inspired formal systems, with the more traditional established economy that dominated before the Meiji Era undermined. So, on paper, there is economic growth, but the average guy lived in highly uncertain times due to the radical changes, politically, economically, and socially.

I imagine it sent massive economic shocks toward the average citizen despite the pragmatic high productivity. It's the same with GDP. A rise in GDP doesn't necessarily mean an objective rise in wages in all forms of distributions of an economy. TFR decline could reflect those disruptive shocks that overall are viewed as economic positives in hindsight. At the time, I imagine the distributive systems did not even out the productive goods enough.

It's like if AI replaces all industry workers, making much higher productivity with lesser costs, which translates into higher growth, it does not mean the people who were laid off now suddenly are enjoying those goods or feel comfortable knowing their way became industrially obsolete.

What you have, given that the system will re-arrange itself to siphon that "unproductive" base by potentially making them a fitting human capital to enter effective economic places, increasing their human capital orientation toward those managements, is an economic lag for those people that might only enjoy the goods down the line potentially (potentially less for the AI problems, if those systems don't result in much higher tax burden on the automated productivity that can feed into a much more robust safety-system for everyone, but I digress).

One major thing as well. There were massive regional and politico-infrastructure arrangement changes that likely had very big non-alignments with previous orders of balances. Offsetting that too likely fed into the aforementioned.

TFR reflects those pressures on the average citizen.

Industrialization undercut the previous economic base share, leading to high differential growth, resulting in a rapid rise in novel Western-inspired formal systems, with the more traditional established economy that dominated before the Meiji Era undermined. So, on paper, there is economic growth, but the average guy lived in highly uncertain times due to the radical changes, politically, economically, and socially.

I imagine it sent massive economic shocks toward the average citizen despite the pragmatic high productivity. It's the same with GDP. A rise in GDP doesn't necessarily mean an objective rise in wages in all forms of distributions of an economy. TFR decline could reflect those disruptive shocks that overall are viewed as economic positives in hindsight. At the time, I imagine the distributive systems did not even out the productive goods enough.

It's like if AI replaces all industry workers, making much higher productivity with lesser costs, which translates into higher growth, it does not mean the people who were laid off now suddenly are enjoying those goods or feel comfortable knowing their way became industrially obsolete.

What you have, given that the system will re-arrange itself to siphon that "unproductive" base by potentially making them a fitting human capital to enter effective economic places, increasing their human capital orientation toward those managements, is an economic lag for those people that might only enjoy the goods down the line potentially (potentially less for the AI problems, if those systems don't result in much higher tax burden on the automated productivity that can feed into a much more robust safety-system for everyone, but I digress).

One major thing as well. There were massive regional and politico-infrastructure arrangement changes that likely had very big non-alignments with previous orders of balances. Offsetting that too likely fed into the aforementioned.

TFR reflects those pressures on the average citizen.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

GemState

36/21
VIP
160,000 30-year olds

80,000 15-year olds

40,000 0-year old infants

The Princess Bride Laughing GIF by filmeditor
Completely cooked, and their demographers think it'll hit 0.4 nationwide by 2030.

IMO, the future of SEA+Central Asia is gonna be as biofuel for Northeast Asia industrial hubs. Pretty soon they'll just start letting anyone from the region in to prop the whole thing up.

Trending