Somalis were native to Hararghe until the Oromo expansion after the weakening of Adal Sultanate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every Akisho and Jarso I met say they are Somali. Perhaps we need to split up by subclans of these two clans to ascertain which ones are Somali (Dir) or Dir.

Argobbah are Semites who moved from the southern Arabian peninsula.

Guji: Where do they live, how far west are they from Somalis in eastern Hararghe? One Guji, Oromo? paternal haplogroup was T.

I did a quick check of Oromo paternal haplogroups, breakdown:

70% - E-V32
followed by A and B
5% - T-M70

It is conceivable every Oromo with a T paternal line could be a 'lost' Dir.

The aftermath of the Adal Wars bred chaos all over the region. There is no doubt about that. There is also no doubt about Oromos from the south taking advantage of the situation by moving northward and eastward and assimilating a lot of smaller clans.

Ina Adeer, no just no. Not every T is the result of the same founder effect that connects us North-Central Dir. There is every chance, a good percentage of untested subclans might turn out to be E-V32.

I heard the same from a Jarso guy or two and I questioned him as to why there are Darood and clearly Oromos in Jarso too. Didn't have the chance to get a detailed answer as it an Aroos and there were too many interruptions.

Gurre/Akisho are a different case, they Abtirsi straight to Madaxweyne Dir and it ain't like y'all or Gurgura taught them that.

Cumar

Ilaahay Gargaaryeey Gabiley Qurux Badanaa
VIP
The Akisho flipflop identities a lot. The ones who live in Somaliland in Gabiley district maintain that they are Somali Dir, but i've met some who acknowledge their Oromo origins.

The only Dir we recognize as living with us in Gabiley are the Madigaan.

The Qallu are Sheekhaal bro. Harar is their point of origin after all.

Since you got a direct line to Adeer Iley, tell him to be discriminative when targetting Oromos in Jijiga, some are Absame Dee.:drakekidding:

They should wear red sheets around their right arm so we don't target them, waan u sheegi hadu eebe yidhaahdo :trumpsmirk:

Every Akisho and Jarso I met say they are Somali. Perhaps we need to split up by subclans of these two clans to ascertain which ones are Somali (Dir) or Oromo.

Argobbah are Semites who moved from the southern Arabian peninsula.

Guji: Where do they live, how far west are they from Somalis in eastern Hararghe? One Guji, Oromo's? paternal haplogroup was T.

I did a quick check of Oromo paternal haplogroups, breakdown:

70% - E-V32
followed by A and B
5% - T-M70

It is conceivable every Oromo with a T paternal line could be a 'lost' Dir.

The aftermath of the Adal Wars bred chaos all over the region. There is no doubt about that. There is also no doubt about Oromos from the south taking advantage of the situation by moving northward and eastward and assimilating a lot of smaller clans.

The Guji live in the southwestern part of Oromia, close to nagele Borana. They mix with the Sidama and Gedeo ethnic groups. And are definitely not Dir.

Cumar

Ilaahay Gargaaryeey Gabiley Qurux Badanaa
VIP
Ina Adeer, no just no. Not every T is the result of the same founder effect that connects us North-Central Dir. There is every chance, a good percentage of untested subclans might turn out to be E-V32.

I heard the same from a Jarso guy or two and I questioned him as to why there are Darood and clearly Oromos in Jarso too. Didn't have the chance to get a detailed answer as it an Aroos and there were too many interruptions.

Gurre/Akisho are a different case, they Abtirsi straight to Madaxweyne Dir and it ain't like y'all or Gurgura taught them that.

Are you saying Jaarso is confederation of Somali Darood and Oromo? Interesting.

Xaagi-Cagmadigtee

Guul ama Dhimasho
@anonimo ,

I am looking from a mathematical perspective; 5% of the sample would extrapolate to about 2 million souls -- about the same number of assimilated Dir in Hararghe. So maha inadeer?

I qualified my statement by saying it is conceivable (by no means certain) that they are all Dir. I know a fair chunk of eastern Hararghe are Somalis who happen to speak Oromiffa.

Are you saying Jaarso is confederation of Somali Darood and Oromo? Interesting.

Afran Qallo has an Oromo Base, I don't think anyone can argue against that as Somalis and other ethnic groups that are part of it shifted languages indicating Oromo was the dominant identity during AQ's formative stage.

However, among some Afran Qallo sub sub subclans, you have entire lineages that are Somali, Harla, Ethio-Semitic etc. Most Jarsos that claim to be Somali claim to be Dir but it is obvious that they are not alone in being Jarso, and that you have pure Oromos and Darood among them. Unless they can prove which Dir subclan they Abtirsi to, I cannot confirm or deny their Dirness.

I am looking from a mathematical perspective; 5% of the sample would extrapolate to about 2 million souls -- about the same number of assimilated Dir in Hararghe. So maha inadeer?

I qualified my statement by saying it is conceivable (by no means certain) that they are all Dir. I know a fair chunk of eastern Hararghe are Somalis who happen to speak Oromiffa.

Bro, the Guji live in Southern Oromia next to the Borana, those guys are most definitely not Dir. They have never in any way been connected to a Dir identity.

As for the Dirs in Hararghe, yes there are many assimilated Dirs among the Afran Qallo but no where near the figure you are hypothesising nor will they necessary belong to the same Y16897 founder effect that Reer Waqooyi Dirs descend from. Allah only knows.

somnet? What’s your user?

Str8, Imma PM you on Somnet.

There was no force assimilation. The AQ gave people the choice to join as Lami(citizen) and if accepted became a part of hosting clan.

These clans have not lost who they are. We have an entire subclan of Noole, the warra Mahammed who were Yabarre and slowly became Oromo. These people know and claim it to his day, no one denies it. They have just accepted being Oromo.
2CB99F28-8241-4A98-8683-48409585C4A3-1997-000002A22E141F8E.png

These are not the same Hawiye that are part of the Babile Afran Qallo. The Mieso ones are un-assimilated and live in the Ciise dominated Shinille/Sitti Region. They identify as Somalis. I once mistakenly thought they were Xaskul Hawiye but I am non the wiser as to what subclan they are.

The ones in Babille are like the following folk:

My point is there is force, he's speaking as if the Oromo are peaceful and only the Somalis have a history of aggression.

Watch the video the girl describes a recent incident in Babile.

My point is there is force, he's speaking as if the Oromo are peaceful and only the Somalis have a history of aggression.

Walal, the majority of Hawiye in Babille are part of the Afran Qallo and have been for more than a century. The Hawiye in Mieso had a conflict with the Ittu Oromo.

If truth be told, Hawiye in that part of Ethiopia have also had issues with the larger Ogaden and Ciise clans too hence why they have sometimes turned to the Oromo as happened during the referendum demarcating Somali and Oromo regions.

There are two Babilles, one Oromo and one Somali. The assimilated Hawiye are mainly on the Oromo side. Obviously those that refuse to assimilate on the Somali side are in danger during bouts of communal violence.

I didn’t say Somalis were aggressive and all Oromos were/are peaceful. Don’t put things in my mouth.

I stated the people who are Somali amongst my clan live in peace and we’re given the option.

The people of Miesso are from a different clan, and I can’t speak on behalf of them.

Samaale is as old as the Somali ethnic group; it is the foundation myth upon which my identity and that of other Samaale clans is based upon. We will probably never know how it arose and who this mythical ancestor is.

The Biimaal did not, and have never made a living out of water. Contrary to popular opinion, they were mainly a nomadic clan that have only recently adopted agro-pastoralism after the Italians emancipated their imported Bantu slaves.

Wiki: Somalis

"Samaale, the oldest common ancestor of several Somali clans, is generally regarded as the source of the ethnonym Somali. The name "Somali" is, in turn, held to be derived from the words soo and maal, which together mean "go and milk" — a reference to the ubiquitous pastoralism of the Somali people.[33] Another plausible etymology proposes that the term Somali is derived from the Arabic for "wealthy" (dhawamaal), again referring to Somali riches in livestock.[34]

Alternatively, the ethnonym Somali is believed to have been derived from the Automoli (Asmach), a group of warriors from ancient Egypt described by Herodotus, who were likely of Meshwesh origin according to Flinders Petrie. Asmach is thought to have been their Egyptian name, with Automoli being a Greek derivative of the Hebrew word Semoli (meaning "on the left hand side").[35]

An Ancient Chinese document from the 9th century CE referred to the northern Somalia coast — which was then part of a broader region in Northeast Africa known as Barbara, in reference to the area's Berber (Hamitic) inhabitants[36] — as Po-pa-li.[37][38] The first clear written reference of the sobriquet Somali, however, dates back to the 15th century. During the conflict between the Sultanate of Ifat based at Zeila and the Solomonic Dynasty, the Abyssinian emperor had one of his court officials compose a hymn celebrating a military victory over the Sultan of Ifat's eponymous troops.[39] Simur was also an ancient Harari alias for the Somali people.[40]"
-------------------------------------------------
Somnet:

bareento wrote:Greetings Brother Jaidi,

"What is the meaning of the word Tumal?
Could it be that Tumal is only linked to the socio professional occupations not necessarly a clan/tribe as we understand it today...
...just like the Tumtuus in oromo,those who work the metal ie making weapons: the word Tumtuu comes from Tumu meaning beating like
when they beat the red hor iron?

B.

Yes that is it exactly. Tumaal= blacksmith, metalworker. Tumtuu sounds similar and has the same meaning so I'm guessing its the exact Oromo equivalent."

---------------------------------------------------

http://beeshadireed.blogspot.com/2012/05/sawiro-beesha-biyomaal-bimaal-dir.html

"The real name of Bimal is
JAMAL, but nicknamed as
‘Bimal’ meaning ‘being
handsome’ in Arabic, or
‘purified’ in Urdu."

Also written: Biimaal, Biyomaal, Biymaal, Biyamal, they arrived in the Merka hinterlands long before the Bantus.

In somali:

biyo = water

maal = finance, milk, pus, livestock, milking

In the middle Shabelli, "water finance" makes sense both for farming (which some Biimaal did) and for livestock. The Geledi and Ajuraan also made major efforts to use and control the water, being described as "hydraulic empires". It only makes sense that whoever controlled Merka would have tried to exploit the Shabelli resource.

Tumaal and Soomaal are both occupations, and Biyomaal, while a late nickname, follows the form. Samaal sounds like cows were involved.

A lot of Dhulbahante got Oromonized as well particularly after Darawishta struggle.
This Oromo elder is talking about how they welcomed them in bale, Awaday has large oromo speaking Dhulbahante community

World

VIP
A lot of Dhulbahante got Oromonized as well particularly after Darawishta struggle.
This Oromo elder is talking about how they welcomed them in bale, Awaday has large oromo speaking Dhulbahante community
Wow i didn't know that subhanallah

Status
Not open for further replies.