Somalis were native to Hararghe until the Oromo expansion after the weakening of Adal Sultanate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dawaro Sultanate was a Somali Sultanate centred in Hararghe and established by the Jarso clan which is a sub-clan of Dir.

"By Somali reckoning, the founder of Dawaro Sultanate was Jārso people belonging to the Ali Madaḥweyne branch which is a sub-clan of Dir. After the Oromo migrations, the ʿAli Madaḥweyne Dir were absorbed into the Afran Qallo Barentuma confederation, and today the Jarso are reckoned as Jārsō Daggā Qāllō Barentuma Oromō.[2]"

Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sultanate_of_Dawaro

"The Dir clan used to be the predominant inhabitants of Hararghe Highlands in the medieval times until the weakening of Adal Sultanate the opportunist Oromos took advantage of the crippling state and decided to invade and occuppy the Haraghe Highlands and assimilate the local native Somali population which were Jarso, Akisho, Gurgura, Nole, Metta, Oborra and Bursuk who were all sub-clans of Dir a major Somali tribe and were later confederated into Oromo tribe, the Afran Qallo clan."

"The city Dire Dawa was originally called Dir Dhabe and used to be part of Adal Sultanate during the medieval times and was exclusively settled by Dir which is a major Somali tribe and after the weakening of Adal Sultanate, the Oromos took advantage and were able to penetrate through the city and settle into these areas and also assimilate some of the local Gurgura clan.[19]"

Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dir_(clan)

Further looking into the sources and man why do I feel like this. Beehsa Dir went through hell :meleshame:

GzcC3-s-R4SMp0MXbNHyHw.png

Somalis must unite and re-claim Hararghe and bring back the assimilated Somalis to their original identity. We have historical claims to Harar and Hararghe so it's all good. Inshallah may Somalis golden age begin in the modern world.

The Awash River used to be called the Dir River.

Indeed. Let me quote a historical source for that. Read below.

"The Somalis, principally the Dir clan used to inhabit the Awash River. The Afars were mostly concentrated in the Red Sea and the Lake Abbe while Somalis during the medieval times inhabited Awash river which was back then called "Webiga Dir" named after its tribe. After the weakening of Adal Sultanate, the Somalis left Awash river and allowed Afars to settle in Awash river to serve as a buffer zone between the Somalis and Abyssinians.[20]"

I've met top Somali historians and they told me the biggest Somali clans in the medieval times were Ajuran and Dir that dominated Ajuran Empire and Adal Sultanate. Although, both these kingdoms weren't exlusively Ajuran and Dir but they were basically the majority and rulers of those period, respectively.

Don't forget the founder of Walashma Dynasty was a Somali man from Zeila and according to Hara Manuscripts he hailed from the Dir clan.

"Yusuf bin Ahmad al-Kawneyn is believed to be born in Zeila during the early Adal Kingdom period which he associated with. Yusuf bin Ahmad al-Kawneyn is a very famous Somali saint figure.[15] He is believed to be the founder and ancestor of the royal family known as Walashma Dynasty that governed both Ifat Sultanate and Adal Sultanate during the middle ages.[16][17] Shiekh Abi-Bakr Al Alawi, a Harari historian, states in his book that that Yusuf bin Ahmad al-Kawneyn was of native and local Dir clan extraction.[18]"

I've linked the sources on numbers but here is the extra one. Reference: Quath, Faati (1957). Islam Walbaasha Cabra Taarikh [Islam and Abyssinia throughout history] (in Arabic). Cairo,Egypt.

Dawaro Sultanate was a Somali Sultanate centred in Hararghe and established by the Jarso clan which is a sub-clan of Dir.

"By Somali reckoning, the founder of Dawaro Sultanate was Jārso people belonging to the Ali Madaḥweyne branch which is a sub-clan of Dir. After the Oromo migrations, the ʿAli Madaḥweyne Dir were absorbed into the Afran Qallo Barentuma confederation, and today the Jarso are reckoned as Jārsō Daggā Qāllō Barentuma Oromō.[2]"

Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sultanate_of_Dawaro

"The Dir clan used to be the predominant inhabitants of Hararghe Highlands in the medieval times until the weakening of Adal Sultanate the opportunist Oromos took advantage of the crippling state and decided to invade and occuppy the Haraghe Highlands and assimilate the local native Somali population which were Jarso, Akisho, Gurgura, Nole, Metta, Oborra and Bursuk who were all sub-clans of Dir a major Somali tribe and were later confederated into Oromo tribe, the Afran Qallo clan."

"The city Dire Dawa was originally called Dir Dhabe and used to be part of Adal Sultanate during the medieval times and was exclusively settled by Dir which is a major Somali tribe and after the weakening of Adal Sultanate, the Oromos took advantage and were able to penetrate through the city and settle into these areas and also assimilate some of the local Gurgura clan.[19]"

Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dir_(clan)

Further looking into the sources and man why do I feel like this. Beehsa Dir went through hell :meleshame:

GzcC3-s-R4SMp0MXbNHyHw.png

Somalis must unite and re-claim Hararghe and bring back the assimilated Somalis to their original identity. We have historical claims to Harar and Hararghe so it's all good. Inshallah may Somalis golden age begin in the modern world.
How are we gonna reclaim anything, when in the modern wold that you want our golden age to start we are fighting each other and wanting to separate.

VIP
Wow us dirs really got decimated, thank god my subclan avoided oromization. How do we bring them back into the fold? I doubt they want to come back tho.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
Wow us dirs really got decimated, thank god my subclan avoided oromization. How do we bring them back into the fold? I doubt they want to come back tho.

If Somalia unites and annex Djibouti then get support from the Somali region for liberation. We can show the Oromonized Dir their true origins and heritage and show them that you are better with us than Ethiopia then they can finally re-claim their Somali origin.

Come on , Grant .

He doesn't know anything about Somali history so don't bother.

Come on , Grant .

I read Beesha Direed websites and I have my suspicions. Here is one of the sites that claims a whole bunch of very dispersed clans::

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2014/01/29/1313787111

Since T precedes E1b1b in the peninsula, I honestly don't understand why we say Somali and not Dir. I am thinking the Dir got really smashed around in the Adal wars and that the E1b1b Somalis, whose home bases were further away from the fighting, were not as damaged and became dominant (??).

I suspect that the Dir thought of themselves as Dir during the Adal wars. The Futuh al Habash speaks of the clans individually, not as any unit.

This gathering up of clans by both Somalis and Oromos has gone on at least since the 1560's. From DNA we know that even the clans themselves are federations.

I understand the OP's claim, but I think it takes special definitions to make that historically accurate within the period.

This is from another Beesha Direed website"

http://beeshadireed.blogspot.com/2010/09/dir-kingdom-of-adal-awdal-home-of-ahmed.html

"The capital of Adal Sultanate was Harrar (which was an Islamic center) and its major ports were Zeila and Sahil (now Berbera) Ahmad the Left-handed's army included alot of recently Islamisized Somalis from the east (like the Ogaden, and Majerteen) and also a lot of Oromo and it also covered almost all of the Afar regions. It was truly the first and only 100% Cushitic Empire."

In general, I think Somalis tend to include a lot of folks in "Somali" that are only potential members or who were co-inhabitants of towns and regions. For sure, all of Adal was not Somali at the time of the Adal wars. The Dir are mostly Somali now, but they probably thought of themselves as Dir then. Isaaq and Darood married Dir women, who were not Somali at the time.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
I read Beesha Direed websites and I have my suspicions. Here is one of the sites that claims a whole bunch of very dispersed clans::

Since T precedes E1b1b in the peninsula, I honestly don't understand why we say Somali and not Dir. I am thinking the Dir got really smashed around in the Adal wars and that the E1b1b Somalis, whose home bases were further away from the fighting, were not as damaged and became dominant (??).

I suspect that the Dir thought of themselves as Dir during the Adal wars. The Futuh al Habash speaks of the clans individually, not as any unit.

This gathering up of clans by both Somalis and Oromos has gone on at least since the 1560's. From DNA we know that even the clans themselves are federations.

I understand the OP's claim, but I think it takes special definitions to make that historically accurate within the period.

http://beeshadireed.blogspot.com/2010/09/dir-kingdom-of-adal-awdal-home-of-ahmed.html

"The capital of Adal Sultanate was Harrar (which was an Islamic center) and its major ports were Zeila and Sahil (now Berbera) Ahmad the Left-handed's army included alot of recently Islamisized Somalis from the east (like the Ogaden, and Majerteen) and also a lot of Oromo and it also covered almost all of the Afar regions. It was truly the first and only 100% Cushitic Empire."

In general, I think Somalis tend to include a lot of folks in "Somali" that are only potential members or who were co-inhabitants of towns and regions. For sure, all of Adal was not Somali at the time of the Adal wars. The Dir are mostly Somali now, but they probably thought of themselves as Dir then. Isaaq and Darood married Dir women, who were not Somali at the time.

Sir, Dir have always viewed themselves as Somali "Samaale". Stop trying to divide Somalis, they were never conquered or colonized by Somalis. They are the oldest Somali clans and remember every ethnicity has genetic difference but similar history and characteristics and that isn't the difference with Dir.

All you gotta understand is Oromos (Gallas) originated from northern Kenya specifically around lake of Turkana and the Galla expansion happen during the 16 century and remember Adal Sultanate that time was weakened due to its wars with the Abyssinian Empire and the Portuguese Empire which led the Oromos to take advantage of the crippling state and that's how they assimilated the local Somalis in the Hararghe highlands.

Also, Adal Sultanate may not have been a Somali Kingdom but it was dominated by Somalis. Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adal_Sultanate

VIP

Yo chill out. We are THE somalis, if we aren't then noone is.

NotAjnabi

Somalilander
If Somalia unites and annex Djibouti then get support from the Somali region for liberation. We can show the Oromonized Dir their true origins and heritage and show them that you are better with us than Ethiopia then they can finally re-claim their Somali origin.

He doesn't know anything about Somali history so don't bother.
They're already oromo by now. You're asking for xabash atm

Yo chill out. We are THE somalis, if we aren't then noone is.

Dude,

Two of the five Somalias were united from 1960 up till 1978 or 1991, depending on your perspective. They weren't united before and they haven't been united since, either the two or the five. The period 1969-1977 in the two was financed largely by the Cold War and US-Russian-Italian competition for strategic and economic advantage. The three show no inclination to join the two, which are already trying to break up. Given the present state of Federal Somalia, I don't think anybody knows who the real Somalis are.

Last edited:

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
Dude,

Two of the five Somalias were united from 1960 up till 1978 or 1991, depending on your perspective.
They weren't united before and they haven't been united since, either the two or the five. The period 1969-1977 in the two was financed largely by the Cold War and US-Russian-Italian competition for strategic and economic advantage. The three show no inclination to join the two, which are already trying to break up. Given the present state of Federal Somalia, I don't think anybody knows who the real Somalis are.

Who cares if they were united or not. At the end of the day they shared the same ethnicity and it always existed, period! There are many tribes in this world that weren't united so that doesn't mean they aren't the same people just because they don't politically agree with each other. Right now you're contradicting with yourself.

:drakelaugh::chrisfreshhah::drakelaugh:
You always deliver !

Keo

VIP

:gucciwhat:
E1b1b has its origins in Africa so that can't be possible.

:gucciwhat:
E1b1b has its origins in Africa so that can't be possible.

I'm not sure what you're referencing here. All DNA originates in Africa. but their locations today don't necessarily count. E1b1b is an enormous group, with concentrations in the Atlas mountains in Morocco as high as in Somalia. The group also went north before it went back south. Herding and agriculture come from the Natufians and other Neolithic peoples in the Levant:

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/07/worlds-first-farmers-were-surprisingly-diverse

I have posted this before, but you may have missed it. This is from my 23 and Me:

"Origin and Migrations of Haplogroup E-M123
Your paternal line traces back to the common ancestor of haplogroup E-M123, a man who may have lived in eastern Africa over 20,000 years ago. At some time during the next 10,000 years, some of his descendants migrated north to the Levant and the Middle East, where the lineage is quite common today. In fact, evidence once suggested that the southern Levant may have been the birthplace of the haplogroup. It was there, soon after the Ice Age drew to a close 11,500 years ago, that humans first learned to domesticate cereals and livestock, and completely transformed their way of life. In fact, farming and herding were such successful strategies that populations boomed, sparking waves of migration into Europe and Africa about 8,000 years ago. Some of those men likely bore the E-M123 haplogroup, and as they migrated they introduced not only their technology and culture, but also the paternal lineage.

Today, some of the highest concentrations of men bearing haplogroup E-M123 and its diverse branches are found in eastern Africa, where they make up between 5 and 10% of men in parts of Ethiopia, Kenya, and Somalia. Farther east, nearly 10% of men tested in Oman and 8% in Yemen carry the haplogroup. And to the north, they are found at low frequencies among Egyptians, Algerians, Tunisians, and others.

The other great peak of men bearing E-M123 is in the southern Levant. They are spread throughout the Middle East and in present-day Turkey at frequencies of about 5%, and make up about 13% of the male population in Jordan. Though generally rare in Europe, E-M123 can be found among men along the Mediterranean Sea, and is at its most common in Sicily (7%) and Sardinia (4%). Even at the far western edge, the lineage found in the Iberian Peninsula, especially among men from Portugal and the Spanish region of Galicia."

E-L29
Years Ago
Your paternal haplogroup, E-L29, traces back to a man who lived approximately 4,000 years ago.

------------------------------------------------

E-L29 = E1b1b1c1a
I am 100% European and 93% northwestern European.

http://s1.zetaboards.com/anthroscape/topic/3182028/1/

"Each of these clusters has its own peculiarities.
E1b1b1c1*-A is the «European» cluster, discovered among the Germans and the Spaniards;
E1b1b1c1*-B is the «Arabian» cluster found among the Arabs from Persian Gulf countries;
E1b1b1c1*-C is the «British» cluster found among the British and Irish.
E1b1b1c1*-D1 is the «Jewish» cluster found among Ashkenazi. History of this cluster (about 1000 years ago) was considered in another paper [17] and will not be considered here.
E1b1b1c1*-D2 is the «mixed» cluster, found both among Europeans and people of the Levant and Turkey."

Let us calculate the ages of these clusters. It is necessary to mention that due to the small number of haplotype clusters of E1b1b1c1*-A, E1b1b1c1-B and E1b1b1c1-C, the probability is very high that we will observe very «rejuvenation» ages. For example, the cluster E1b1b1c1*-A (N=4, 37 markers), such age is 3525±650 years. Ancestor of E1b1b1c1-B (N=2, 67 markers) lived 350±175 and E1b1b1c1-C (N=3, 25 markers) – 750±400 years ago. Although the ages are approximate, it shows that these clusters occurred in different epochs.

More plausible results can be expected when calculating the age of the cluster E1b1b1c1*-D2, whose sample consisted of 32 67-marker haplotypes. Its age was 3850±450 years. The mixture of nations in this cluster indicates that the founding father was born 3400-4300 years ago in the Levant. Part of his descendants later migrated to Europe. This confirms the close age proximity of the cluster E1b1b1c1*-A, equal to 3525±650 years. Apparently, the emergence of these two clusters are linked to the same period in the history of the Middle East.

To determine the age of the common ancestor of all E1b1b1c1, authors compiled samples with the involvement of 9-markers of Lebanese, Syrian, Palestinian and Turkish haplotypes from the papers [2, 3], the modal haplotypes of all noted clusters and haplotypes are not related to any of the known clusters and designated as E1b1b1c1*-Miscellaneous (N=51, 9 markers). Age of the most recent common ancestor of all modern carriers of E1b1b1c1* is 7000±850 years."

-------------------------------------

Einstein, Hitler, Napoleon and Lyndon Baines Johnson are also E1b1b. The last mutations on both my X and Y lines occurred near Tuscany, about 4000 YA. But the migration was from East Africa, to the Levant, and then northwest into the Mediterranean basin and Europe as the ice melted.

Your ancestors went back south.

Sir, Dir have always viewed themselves as Somali "Samaale". Stop trying to divide Somalis, they were never conquered or colonized by Somalis. They are the oldest Somali clans and remember every ethnicity has genetic difference but similar history and characteristics and that isn't the difference with Dir.

All you gotta understand is Oromos (Gallas) originated from northern Kenya specifically around lake of Turkana and the Galla expansion happen during the 16 century and remember Adal Sultanate that time was weakened due to its wars with the Abyssinian Empire and the Portuguese Empire which led the Oromos to take advantage of the crippling state and that's how they assimilated the local Somalis in the Hararghe highlands.

Also, Adal Sultanate may not have been a Somali Kingdom but it was dominated by Somalis. Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adal_Sultanate

First off, who are you calling Galla?

The term is used for pagans, we are not pagans.

Seceondly, Oromos did not come from “Lake Turkana”.

We originated from Mada Walabu, an area in current day Bale.

And for the “Orominzed Somalis”, ask them if they would like to join you. That is their choice.

We only have 1 clan who have been absorbed which is the Bursuukh amongst the Humme AQ. The Gurgura are just neighbours who speak Oromo, but know well that they are Somali.

We’ve intermixed with one another for generations. How would you split such people from one another?

What about the Oromo clans that have become Somali? The Akichu are placed under Dir but are purely Oromo. Tell me the meaning of any of their subclans in Af-Somali? Or the word Akichu/Akisho?

And how are the Jarso Somali? They are 100% Oromo. They’ve heavily mixed with the Gerri Kombo Darood, but are still Oromo. If anything Darood have more claim then Dir.

There are Somalis in Hararge who live side by side with Oromos with no threat. They are equals, and always have been. We are too intermixed to split us apart for one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending