Somalis should adapt Ancient South Arabian Script

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monumental South Arabian inscriptions has been deemed to be native to Ethiopia. It's development can be seen in the D'mt empire (precursor to Aksum), were it transformed from simple archaic writing to MSA. It's final transformation was the adoption of vowels when it became prevelent outside the courts in the Agazie civilization.

So move along...we don't need you to taint it.

South arabian isn't native to the horn, you imbecile, otherwise it wouldn't be call south Arabian, would it? Are you sniffing glue again?

South arabian isn't native to the horn, you imbecile, otherwise it wouldn't be call south Arabian, would it? Are you sniffing glue again?

You're embarrassing yourself. Reread what I commented. The name given to it by westerners has no bearing on its true origin.

Tell me this, if its native to SA, then why are the oldest inscriptions found in Ethiopia (>1k yrs)? Why is there no development of the script in SA? Lastly, why did it vanish after the fall of Saba?

You're embarrassing yourself. Reread what I commented. The name given to it by westerners has no bearing on its true origin.

Tell me this, if its native to SA, then why are the oldest inscriptions found in Ethiopia (>1k yrs)? Why is there no development of the script in SA? Lastly, why did it vanish after the fall of Saba?

Are you really this dumb? The oldest inscriptions found doesn't have anything to do with origins. The south Arabian script descends from the proto-sinaitic script and moved into northern Eritrea to form Ge'ez. No way you can be this stupid.

Its mature form was reached around 500 BC, and its use continued until the 6th century, including Ancient North Arabian inscriptions in variants of the alphabet, when it was displaced by the Arabic alphabet.[4] In Ethiopia and Eritrea it evolved later into the Ge'ez script,[1][2] which, with added symbols throughout the centuries, has been used to write Amharic, Tigrinya and Tigre, as well as other languages (including various Semitic, Cushitic, and Nilo-Saharan languages).

Ancient South Arabian

s_arabn.gif

Pretty neat :obama:

But it's better if we make a new script which looks similar to the Persians.

become an archaeologist and search Somalia for ancient scripture. There is probably tons of history below the sand and dirt, you could find enough material to recreate or find an ancient native alphabet system

I keep hearing about ancient scripts and inscriptions but I never see any evidence for it. The only ancient scripts that have been found are ancient cave paintings that could mean anything and those south Semitic rock inscriptions in Somaliland. No evidence, yet, of any indigenous writing system.

Apollo

VIP
Some countries recently switched from crappy scripts to Latin, while the other way around rarely happens. The Latin alphabet is the most efficient script out there.

The Chinese are tards, using effin pictures to write.

Some countries recently switched from crappy scripts to Latin, while the other way around rarely happens. The Latin alphabet is the most efficient script out there.

The Chinese are tards, using effin pictures to write.

They have a culture they want to preserve and a heritage. Why don't we all call ourselves John and Michael then? Simple ubiquitous names. Why don't we all speak standard American English? I don't really understand your point.

Apollo

VIP
They have a culture they want to preserve and a heritage. Why don't we all call ourselves John and Michael then? Simple ubiquitous names. Why don't we all speak standard American English? I don't really understand your point.

Slippery slope fallacy there.

You can adopt some efficiency from other cultures while retaining much of your own. Those Semite scripts are less efficient.

Apollo

VIP
PS The Chinese at one point almost switched to the Latin script. You have more pressures coming out of non-Latin scripts to switch over than the other way around.

PS The Chinese at one point almost switched to the Latin script. You have more pressures coming out of non-Latin scripts to switch over than the other way around.

Yeah, that was under Chairman Mao, a genocidal autocrat who wanted to do away with Chinese culture completely in favour of Communist Brutalism. I don't think he's a great example.

Japan uses 3 scriots, Hiragana, katakana and Chinese ideograms. They are not only able to function, but at a greater efficiency than most countries on earth. Human beings aren't robots, we have the need to satisfy function as well as sentimentality.

They has a similar amount but they were not all the same letters
What about the lack of vowels?

You can adapt a script to suit a language. Cyrillic was adapted from Greek to suit Slavic languages. Greek was adapted from Phoenician to suit ancient greek. Did you know most of the world's scripts, including Indian Devanagari, is descended from Aramaic?

Apollo

VIP
Yeah, that was under Chairman Mao, a genocidal autocrat who wanted to do away with Chinese culture completely in favour of Communist Brutalism. I don't think he's a great example.

Japan uses 3 scripts, Hiragana, katakana and Chinese ideograms. They are not only able to function, but at a greater efficiency than most countries on earth. Human beings aren't robots, we have the need to satisfy function as well as sentimentality.

The goal of the communists was progress, rapid progress. Sometimes they overdid it and caused chaos, but their goals were benevolent. They saw the Chinese script as elitist, hampering literacy, and unnecessarily complicated. The script developed during a time when China was extremely stratified.

Ironically, the Chinese use the Latin script for their keyboards and change it digitally into Chinese characters. Totally inefficient.

The goal of the communists was progress, rapid progress. Sometimes they overdid it and caused chaos, but their goals were benevolent. They saw the Chinese script as elitist, hampering literacy, and unnecessarily complicated. The script developed during a time when China was extremely stratified.

Ironically, the Chinese use the Latin script for their keyboards and change it digitally into Chinese characters. Totally inefficient.

Lol. The Chinese and Japanese have some of the highest literacy rates on earth. That literacy rate argument is a fallacy. I'm not even arguing for Chinese ideograms ( I wouldn't expect lazy Somalis to learn thousands of symbols). I'm arguing for a native script. It's embarrassing seeing Somali written in Latin script next to other languages with their own unique writing systems. It wouldn't even be so bad if we adopted Arabic like the Pakistanis, since Somalia is under the Arab sphere of influence.

Apollo

VIP
Lol. The Chinese and Japanese have some of the highest literacy rates on earth. That literacy rate argument is a fallacy. I'm not even arguing for Chinese ideograms ( I wouldn't expect lazy Somalis to learn thousands of symbols). I'm arguing for a native script. It's embarrassing seeing Somali written in Latin script next to other languages with their own unique writing systems. It wouldn't even be so bad if we adopted Arabic like the Pakistanis, since Somalia is under the Arab sphere of influence.

I'm not big into this subject, but I heard that most Chinese can't even spell basic words in Chinese because of the difficulty of their script. They can all read, but it's kinda embarrassing when half of your population can't spell without aiding tools.

China also loses a lot of soft power due to the steep learning curve foreigners face when learning Chinese.

I'm not big into this subject, but I heard that most Chinese can't even spell basic words in Chinese because of the difficulty of their script. They can all read, but it's kinda embarrassing when half of your population can't spell without aiding tools.

And yet it's a more efficient culture than India or America. I'm not even advocating for ideograms, so I don't know why the discussion has moved on to China. The country with the highest percentage of degree holders is Russia. It's also has the highest levels of literacy. I guess Cyrillic doesn't effect their ability to learn and work.

Apollo

VIP
And yet it's a more efficient culture than India or America. I'm not even advocating for ideograms, so I don't know why the discussion has moved on to China. The country with the highest percentage of degree holders is Russia. It's also has the highest levels of literacy. I guess Cyrillic doesn't effect their ability to learn and work.

Let's not get into race realism, lol, you know why. What if their efficiency is LOWERED because of those scripts? They could gain more if they switched over, especially Chinese.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts