Somalis and Encouragement!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I was helping out these kids the other day. When I told these young men they were bright and articulate their eyes lit up.

Then I started to wonder is encouragement uncommon? :farmajoyaab:

Samira

Illuminated Xalimo
Encouragement breeds complacency. You must challenge, undermine and mentally scar your offspring. Always call into question their capabilities in overt and implicit ways. Dangle the promise of compliments that never materialize from your mouth. From this, the truly superior ones will grow and become great; all in order to turn this treatment back on you. They will live their lives with a drive to subjugate and overpower, just as they should. They will, as a result, be far more successful.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Encouragement breeds complacency. You must challenge, undermine and mentally scar your offspring. Always call into question their capabilities in overt and implicit ways. Dangle the promise of compliments that never materialize from your mouth. From this, the truly superior ones will grow and become great; all in order to turn this treatment back on you. They will live their lives with a drive to subjugate and overpower, just as they should. They will, as a result, be far more successful.

I was nodding when you said challenge them but you lost me at mentally scar. That sounds tortuous.
:faysalwtf: Do you wish to unleash hollows on to the earth - successful from the outside but dark triad within?

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
I was helping out these kids the other day. When I told these young men they were bright and articulate their eyes lit up.

I’ve heard Somali parents never say they love their kids.

Somalis give me weird look when I tell my mom love you in public... lmfao

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member

:mjcry: That's so sad. Where do they look for love? I mean Somalis have an understanding of romantic love given their music and poetry but what of unconditional love of parents/family. I guess like the Spartans love wasn't expressed through words particularly to their kids.

Jake from State Farm

We pro xalimo all 2019

Uhhh
It depends on the kids interests tbh

A few of my cousins that had those dreams of playing basketball always got their dreams shut down whenever hooyo or abo looked down on the idea.

I had a cousin who had dreams of being actual artist. His drawing skills and pairing skills were nice. He even had a few of his pieces placed in art museum. His mom and dad considered it a useless skill and never really cared for it.

It seems parents either want you to be a
Lawyer
Doctor
Engineer
Or
An accountant

Having someone older than you actually encourage to do something you love can really impact a person. Especially when you are younger.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Uhhh
It depends on the kids interests tbh

A few of my cousins that had those dreams of playing basketball always got their dreams shut down whenever hooyo or abo looked down on the idea.

I had a cousin who had dreams of being actual artist. His drawing skills and pairing skills were nice. He even had a few of his pieces placed in art museum. His mom and dad considered it a useless skill and never really cared for it.

It seems parents either want you to be a
Lawyer
Doctor
Engineer
Or
An accountant

Having someone older than you actually encourage to do something you love can really impact a person. Especially when you are younger.

I've met so many Somalis with hoop dreams knew of one that played in the NCAA. Generally, with elite athletes it's the top 1% that get in. Though if someone is an NBA enthusiast, there is probably a greater likelihood of going pro outside of North America or owning a team. You could be proximal to your interest even if you don't go for it.

It's much better to keep your options open while you're young (especially if you're unaware of what you want), figure out what your natural inclinations are, pour yourself into it, become a master through dedicated practice (working at it despite minutae) and diferentating yourself to be sought after.

Somalis tend to down the arts but I know some UX and graphic designers that make six figures.

Parents want greater opportunities for their kids so they push them into what they believe are stable careers paths.

I absolutely agree, encouragement definitely helps. That and equipping kids with the best strategies (uniquely tailored for them) to help them better learn and thrive.

Last edited:

Gibiin-Udug

:mjcry: That's so sad. Where do they look for love? I mean Somalis have an understanding of romantic love given their music and poetry but what of unconditional love of parents/family. I guess like the Spartans love wasn't expressed through words particularly to their kids.
I guess love died with the civil war. Somalis were more romantic and loving before.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I guess love died with the civil war. Somalis were more romantic and loving before.

Love is still alive.:mjpls: And I'm the number 1 supplier. Reiko we must take the lead and show them what romance is all about. If not instructed, how will they know?

Jake from State Farm

We pro xalimo all 2019
I've met so many Somalis with hoop dreams knew of one that played in the NCAA. Generally, with elite athletes it's the top 1% that get in. Though if someone is an NBA enthusiast, there is probably a greater likelihood of going pro outside of North America or owning a team. You could be proximal to your interest even if you don't go for it.

It's much better to keep your options open while you're young (especially if you're unaware of what you want), figure out what your natural inclinations are, pour yourself into it, become a master through dedicated practice (working at it despite minutae) and diferentating yourself to be sought after.

Somalis tend to down the arts but I know some UX and graphic designers that make six figures.

Parents want greater opportunities for their kids so they push them into what they believe are stable careers paths.

I absolutely agree, encouragement definitely helps. That and equipping kids with the best strategies (uniquely tailored for them) to help them better learn and thrive.
Hopefully there is a change especially in the future with my generation.

All this will result in is people doing jobs they don’t truly love

If i were to get a kid, i would buy them a lot of medical related toys and cartoons. I will even get medical children books for them. All for the reason that they will be interested in becoming a doctor, when they grow up.
-
This is probably brainwashing, but who cares. :manny::mjlol::russ::deadmanny:

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Hopefully there is a change especially in the future with my generation.

All this will result in is people doing jobs they don’t truly love

Parents want the best for their kids, so I can't fault them. However, there are multiple ways to follow ones passions. It's wonderful if its from the beginning but it can also be cultivated on the side and one could eventually transition when it becomes financially viable.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
If i were to get a kid, i would buy them a lot of medical related toys and cartoons. I will even get medical children books for them. All for the reason that they will be interested in becoming a doctor, when they grow up.
-

Early experiences help. That reminds me of a story of a man that believed interest and intellect could be cultivated. He managed to raise all 3 of his daughters into Chess champions. This happened from early exposure. To the point they enjoyed practice and found it effortless.

Jake from State Farm

We pro xalimo all 2019
-
From the beginning of middle school to the end of high school my dad would secretly contact my school counselors so they would enroll me in computer courses.

I never knew about this the entire time. I just took them for the easy grade.

So fastforward to first semester of college.
My dad asks

Him : what’s your major

Me: oh criminal justice

Him: :ileycry::mugshotman::drakewtf:
The guy went nuts and started saying how he tried to convince me for years to gain an interest in programming. I said “ it’s boring as hell”

I’m currently not a cj major. I simply placed law enforcement as a major back up career cause you don’t need a cj degree to work in that field.

Currently I have med school ambitions.

From the beginning of middle school to the end of high school my dad would secretly contact my school counselors so they would enroll me in computer courses.

I never knew about this the entire time. I just took them for the easy grade.

So fastforward to first semester of college.
My dad asks

Him : what’s your major

Me: oh criminal justice

Him: :ileycry::mugshotman::drakewtf:
The guy went nuts and started saying how he tried to convince me for years to gain an interest in programming. I said “ it’s boring as hell”

I’m currently not a cj major. I simply placed law enforcement as a major back up career cause you don’t need a cj degree to work in that field.

Currently I have med school ambitions.
YOOOO! He most have been mad disappointed. I tried to imagine his reaction, but i couldn't stop laughing. :mjlol::drakelaugh::russ::dead:

Mercury

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
VIP

I think encouragement is non existent amongst Somalis it’s something you wouldn’t expect

I remember when I was eating at my cousins home and his wife comes with a plate of food I thank her my cousin looks at me annoyed so jokingly I asked him when was the last time you thanked her his response shocked me why would I thank her for doing what’s expected from her?

Jake from State Farm

We pro xalimo all 2019
YOOOO! He most have been mad disappointed. I tried to imagine his reaction, but i couldn't stop laughing. :mjlol::drakelaugh::russ::dead:
Yea he was heated. I then switched to nursing after that semester and for the next semester he just annoyed the hell out of me. Beginning of third year I started volunteering and gained a big interst in becoming a doctor. He became “okay” with that so I just been taking Pre med courses as a bio major.

First 2 and 1/2 years of school were wild.

If I would have stayed with the nursing degree I probably would be finished by now

Saalax Bidaar

Truthfulness so often goes with ruthlessness
Love is still alive.:mjpls: And I'm the number 1 supplier. Reiko we must take the lead and show them what romance is all about. If not instructed, how will they know?

Please do.
I have never said I love you to a female in my entire existence nor did I ever cried out of emotion or joy. Do I luck something?

Hybrid

Death Awaits You

it isn't in somali culture to show your love to friends/family members. I never told my parents and siblings I love them. western Somalis are OK though.

Gibiin-Udug

it isn't in somali culture to show your love to friends/family members. I never told my parents and siblings I love them. western Somalis are OK though.

It is in the culture well the reer magaal ones. My uncles in Somalia always tell me they love me when I speak to them and I tell my cousins in Nairobi I love them when we speak. Or maybe it's just my family. Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending