Somalis and Encouragement!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Encouragement breeds complacency. You must challenge, undermine and mentally scar your offspring. Always call into question their capabilities in overt and implicit ways. Dangle the promise of compliments that never materialize from your mouth. From this, the truly superior ones will grow and become great; all in order to turn this treatment back on you. They will live their lives with a drive to subjugate and overpower, just as they should. They will, as a result, be far more successful.

You seem like a person who reads a lot of books. Am I right?

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I think encouragement is non existent amongst Somalis it’s something you wouldn’t expect

I remember when I was eating at my cousins home and his wife comes with a plate of food I thank her my cousin looks at me annoyed so jokingly I asked him when was the last time you thanked her his response shocked me why would I thank her for doing what’s expected from her?

Maybe they consider showing appreciation as unnecessary or foreign. I'm curious, is there a word for gratitude in Somali?

:mjcry: That's so sad. Where do they look for love? I mean Somalis have an understanding of romantic love given their music and poetry but what of unconditional love of parents/family. I guess like the Spartans love wasn't expressed through words particularly to their kids.

Yep, you nailed it. Somali parental love is very Spartan. They always push us off cliffs and claim it’s for our own benefit. :bell:

Its irresponsible to praise and encourage other peoples kids. You are going against their parents method of raising their kids. I broke up with a girl because of this. Always praised me, you are sexy, you are so funny etc etc. I was like arevyou mocking me, stop saying these weird shit

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Please do.
I have never said I love you to a female in my entire existence nor did I ever cried out of emotion or joy. Do I luck something?

I've never said I love you to anyone outside my friends and family. You don't lack anything. You were taught to be that way. And its ok not say I love you to a female if you do not find it authentic. I have not said that to males interested in me. But I do believe appreciation of some sort is important.

:confused: Women actually cry more than men according to a leading tear expert.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Yep, you nailed it. Somali parental love is very Spartan. They always push us off cliffs and claim it’s for our own benefit. :bell:

It's interesting because I've seen a variety of personalities among Somali parents. Some being more affectionate others being more traditional and reserved.

But the common thread is Spartan. Praise among many doesn't seem to be as common as criticizing.

Mercury

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
VIP
Maybe they consider showing appreciation as unnecessary or foreign. I'm curious, is there a word for gratitude in Somali?
I think it’s mahad naq or mahad celis

What’s funny is that when a Somali is on tv or is in politics and holding a speech they will hurl appreciation left and right but amongst family it’s never spoken

It's interesting because I've seen a variety of personalities among Somali parents. Some being more affectionate others being more traditional and reserved.

But the common thread is Spartan. Praise among many doesn't seem to be as common as criticizing.
What do kids do that warrant constant praise? Go to school? Do chores when told? Listen to their parents? All sh1t they supposed to do. Reminds me of chris rock when he said niggas always want praise for sh1t they supposed to do

Whenever I wouldsay “I love you” to my mum, she would freeze and just look at me like :browtf:

Me and my parents are very close and we get along very well, but I’ve never seen them express affection to me or any of my siblings. Lol I used to get jealous when the white kids on tv said “I love you” to their parents and they said it back :kendrickcry::mjcry:

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Its irresponsible to praise and encourage other peoples kids. You are going against their parents method of raising their kids. I broke up with a girl because of this. Always praised me, you are sexy, you are so funny etc etc. I was like arevyou mocking me, stop saying these weird shit

I guess you didn't believe her or found it to be misleading, or excessive.

Or maybe kind words aren't your love language. For some people, an expression of appreciation is demonstrated through actions/kind gestures.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Probably homeless kids

They were not. I don't know what would make you say that? And hypothetically speaking if they were why would it matter?:what: Those young men were full of zeal and enthusiasm about the future. A characteristic among the youth which we need more of. I encourage that! And believe it was imperative as their elder to lift them up.

Mahad celis

Thank you.

I think it’s mahad naq or mahad celis

What’s funny is that when a Somali is on tv or is in politics and holding a speech they will hurl appreciation left and right but amongst family it’s never spoken

:what1: Why do you think they do that?

I guess you didn't believe her or found it to be misleading, or excessive.

Or maybe kind words aren't your love language. For some people, an expression of appreciation is demonstrated through actions/kind gestures.
I felt it was insincere. She was saying it cause she thought thats what I wanted to hear. And was expecting same things from me

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
What do kids do that warrant constant praise? Go to school? Do chores when told? Listen to their parents? All sh1t they supposed to do. Reminds me of chris rock when he said niggas always want praise for sh1t they supposed to do

:yousmart: Your mere existence should be celebrated and thanked. And why is that some people forget there is a hadith on gratitude. From what I remember the Prophet PBUH said, "He has not thanked Allah who has not thanked people."

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Whenever I wouldsay “I love you” to my mum, she would freeze and just look at me like :browtf:

Me and my parents are very close and we get along very well, but I’ve never seen them express affection to me or any of my siblings. Lol I used to get jealous when the white kids on tv said “I love you” to their parents and they said it back :kendrickcry::mjcry:

:faysalwtf: Huuno, how about hugs? I give one to my parents each day. I do it to lower their risk of heart disease and boost immunity. My mother isn't a fan.:siilaanyolaugh: But my father doesn't mind, he gets the method to the madness.

:yousmart: Your mere existence should be celebrated and thanked. And why is that some people forget there is a hadith on gratitude. From what I remember the Prophet PBUH said, "He has not thanked Allah who has not thanked people."
I get that......but imagine if I kept bombarding you with compliments. At some point you would say hey ok I get it. Also like most somalis I get uncomfortable with too much niceness. Real men dont operate like that. I give you one compliment a day and thats more than enough:manny:

Status
Not open for further replies.