DEVELOPING NEWS Somaliland officials: Koonfuris from Reer Muqdisho cannot vote in SL

Som

VIP
That's actually a good idea but there isn't the political will to ban them plus imagine the backlash from the shacab
What about Dhulbahante people from ethiopia, Dir people from Ethiopia or Djibouti etc ? Do they also get to vote in SL or is it only for Isaaqs?

Som

VIP
No we are a country that's not just multi clan (albeit one clan as the majority) but in fact Oromos now are a significant minority in SL. Expect Oromos to demand SL citizenship
I guess you guys have a constitution right? In Somalia people could become citizens after 7 years of living un the country. Don't know if somaliland has naturalization laws but all countries do except a few

I guess you guys have a constitution right? In Somalia people could become citizens after 7 years of living un the country. Don't know if somaliland has naturalization laws but all countries do except a few
That is dumb and dangerous. Whoever made that stupid 7 year law should be held accountable.

Som

VIP
That is dumb and dangerous. Whoever made that stupid 7 year law should be held accountable.
There wasn't a lor of migrants back then , i think the only ones who got naturalization are yemeni and some indian muslims who lived in Somalia for a long time

Som

VIP
Anyway it makes sense to allow people to become citizens after they work and pay taxes in a country for many years. How many somalia have western passports? Even our politicians have UK,EU,USA, Canada nationalities

mr steal your naag

banu hashim and shiettt
VIP
What happened to the *Irir* love?
The reason they canf
A long term resident in Hargaisa who has been living there 20 years, he pays tax and adds to the economy, but he cannot become a citizen and he cannot vote because of the clan he is born from, his clan is Hawiyo, but an Ethiopian from Wajaale who does not pay tax, is automatically considered citizen and can vote because his clan is Isaaq.
First of all wajaale is in somaliland :mjlol: . 2nd if you are not native SL and you dont have the right papers you cant vote. That is not only hawiye that is every other clan that is not native to Sl . Including your clan from gedo :mjlaugh: .

Som

VIP
The reason they canf

First of all wajaale is in somaliland :mjlol: . 2nd if you are not native SL and you dont have the right papers you cant vote. That is not only hawiye that is every other clan that is not native to Sl . Including your clan from gedo :mjlaugh: .
An isaaq from ethiopia isn't a native to SL either so why can he vote ?

There wasn't a lor of migrants back then , i think the only ones who got naturalization are yemeni and some indian muslims who lived in Somalia for a long time
We are too langaab for that. If the country gets better we might end up getting replaced within a generation.

Anyway it makes sense to allow people to become citizens after they work and pay taxes in a country for many years. How many somalia have western passports? Even our politicians have UK,EU,USA, Canada nationalities
That is not the same. We make up a tiny fraction less than 1%. Africa population is growing. You are looking at 200 million Ethiopians and 2 Billion Bantu. With freedom of movement it's over for us.

Som

VIP
Who says that they can vote immediately? There is a process
Bro even if it's not immediate they shouldn't have more rights than other foreign nationals. This is what happens in normal countries, if you are an french speaking swiss you can't vote in France just because you are ethnically french, you have to follow the same process of other foreign nationals.

Som

VIP
That is not the same. We make up a tiny fraction less than 1%. Africa population is growing. You are looking at 200 million Ethiopians and 2 Billion Bantu. With freedom of movement it's over for us.
Expect for oromos and a few yemenis nobody wants to settle in Somalia. Bantus? All bantu countries are better than Somalia and SL, non kenyan in his right mind would ever seek to get somali citizenship.

mr steal your naag

banu hashim and shiettt
VIP
We had a goodrun:mjdontkno:
giphy.gif

Expect for oromos and a few yemenis nobody wants to settle in Somalia. Bantus? All bantu countries are better than Somalia and SL, non kenyan in his right mind would ever seek to get somali citizenship.
Ok then why should we have that law. You're also assuming Somalia will be in this state forever.

Som

VIP
Ok then why should we have that law. You're also assuming Somalia will be in this state forever.
Even if somalia gets better I really doubt we would experience a mass wave of immigrants. Look at other African countries, they have similar laws but they don't hand out citizenships easily. Most countries require having a job, some amount of money, living in the country for some years , entering the country legally etc . It's not automatic

And what about half landers? Like people from Somalia who have their mom from SL? Do they have an easier path to citizenship?
I'm wondering if SL thought about these laws

I'm not too sure but ethnic Somalis follow their aabo abtiriis therefore regardless of their mother their eligibility might be determined by only their father's side

When SL gets recognized I'm sure both reer Somalia and reer Djibouti will have almost the same rights as SL citizens eg free movement of people just like in the European Union on the basis of reciprocity. Therefore the rules of citizenship isn't really that important in the grand scheme of things

Trending

Latest posts