Somali singer cherrie identity crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand her.
I'd like to identify as a somali but islam is a huge contributor to the Somali culture so i can't be a real somali without islam.
So, i just identify myself as a guy from the Horn of Africa.
just say you're from a nearly extinct cushitic ethnic group in kenya :yacadiim:

We’re all individuals firstly but I’m somali secondly. We all have things that set us apart from others that doesn’t matter. My ancestors were nomads traveling so far as I’m concerned the whole world might as well be somalia

Lostbox

「Immortal Sage」| Qabil-fluid
VIP
I don’t see myself as a Somali culturally as I am well spoken, employed and with two degrees.

The most successful Somalis have one thing in common, Iman, Mo Farah, Sabrina Dhowre all cut off the Somali community

Ilhan Omar has refused to do so as she needs the votes but will soon come to regret it

Somali community seriously needs to learn how to provide value.

Keo

VIP
I think you're reaching. She never once admitted to being ethnically Swedish. She merely stated the obvious, that when a Somali born or raised in the diaspora goes back home that there is some foreign strain in them which they picked up in the environment they grew up in (in her case Sweden), which sets them apart from the locals in Somalia. And trust me the people notice, even when you're clothed like everyone else and even if you have a perfect Somali accent, they will pick up that you walk different and there are certain peculiarities that let them know you weren't brought up there.

She doesn't have an identity crisis but a bicultural dilemma.
This is true. When I was in Somalia this store owner noticed I was qurbajoog and said I was calm unlike the other kids. Lol

I don’t see myself as a Somali culturally as I am well spoken, employed and with two degrees.

The most successful Somalis have one thing in common, Iman, Mo Farah, Sabrina Dhowre all cut off the Somali community

Ilhan Omar has refused to do so as she needs the votes but will soon come to regret it
>successful
>Sabrina Dhowre

Wtf exactly did she do to be successful? busting wide open for worn out old adoon?

MariaMaria

Education, Peace and Prosperity
I am Somali through and through. Born in Germany , raised into the UK but I would never claim German or British.

I don't know why people feel like other somalis in Somalia have to accept you or give you this stamp of approval for you to feel Somali.

Even if you have never visited before or don't speak Somali you are still Somali , that is your ethnicity , you can't escape that ever. It's up to you if you want to learn about your culture and language.

I am Somali through and through. Born in Germany , raised into the UK but I would never claim German or British.

I don't know why people feel like other somalis in Somalia have to accept you or give you this stamp of approval for you to feel Somali.

Even if you have never visited before or don't speak Somali you are still Somali , that is your ethnicity , you can't escape that ever. It's up to you if you want to learn about your culture and language.
Great post. How can someone say to you that you are not somali if both of your parents are somalis? I have lived in most of my life in sweden and uk, I am neither. I have no blood connection or cultural connection to them. Even as a citizen both countries has adopted a law that says if I commit certain crimes they will depart me to where my parents came from. Doesnt matter if a person never been there or dont speak the language. People forget when you get citizenship, its based on conditions

I consider myself just Somali until tax return season rolls around then I’m a red , white & blue blooded tax paying Anerican and I need my money back

:birdman:

Neslihan

with hardship comes ease
Guys you have to remember she is living and get opportunities in Sweden, as public figure maybe she doesn't want to look rude to her host country! I'm sure she know she's Somali always:it0tdo8:

That qumayo used diaspora Somalis to get to where she's now...and now she's questioning her Somalinimo...
:mjlol:

She was never about Somalinimo, all she wants is the money & the fame, she simply used gullible Somalis as a launching pad so that she can go mainstream & make music for ajnabis.
:siilaanyolaugh:

Neslihan

with hardship comes ease
That qumayo used diaspora Somalis to get to where she's now...and now she's questioning her Somalinimo...
:mjlol:

She was never about Somalinimo, all she wants is the money & the fame, she simply used gullible Somalis as a launching pad so that she can go mainstream & make music for ajnabis.
:siilaanyolaugh:
Why your opinions is always negative? She never question her Somalinimo ever, she only say she felt like both. It's not wrong to be nice and try appreciate the good part of her host country if that is how she feel. She also has responsibility as public figure in the west whose trying to expand her brand

Why your opinions is always negative? She never question her Somalinimo ever, she only say she felt like both. It is not wrong to be nice and try appreciate the good part of her host country if that is how she feel.
Hate the truth huh?
:sass1:

I give credit where it's due & i have my positive opinions. cherrie has largely abandoned her Somali dhaqan(the way she dresses, mannerisms e.g) & makes music for ajnabis. At the end of the day she has assimilated into mainstream western/swedish society, she may see it as a good thing since it benefits her, but we should reject her bad influence & try our best to hold on to our deen iyo dhaqan in the west.

When in Rome, do as romans do. When you live in another country you have to immerse yourself in the culture and society so that you can establish a good network with the natices and move up the social ladder. I love my ignorant people, but sometimes you have to get with the program. Even though you are not swedish or feel like it, you have to fake being it. A swede may not look at you as his brother, but he hate unintegrated immigrants even more. So way make it harder for yourself sxb?

I may call myself a norwegian somali, but do you really think i feel norweagian?:sass1:

Last edited:

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP

I see what you did there.
749W.gif

Guys you have to remember she is living and get opportunities in Sweden, as public figure maybe she doesn't want to look rude to her host country! I'm sure she know she's Somali always:it0tdo8:
she is a ghetto rapper from rinkeby...trust me if she said she see herself as swedish she would lose respect in her circles. She is from the trashiest and most anti swedish area in sweden and whole persona is she is from the hood

Neslihan

with hardship comes ease
Hate the truth huh?
:sass1:

I give credit where it's due & i have my positive opinions. cherrie has largely abandoned her Somali dhaqan(the way she dresses, mannerisms e.g) & makes music for ajnabis. At the end of the day she has assimilated into mainstream western/swedish society, she may see it as a good thing since it benefits her, but we should reject her bad influence & try our best to hold on to our deen iyo dhaqan in the west.
No that's you not me. You said she use Somalis as 'launching pad' but the Somalis who support her did it knowing she abandoned our culture though(she was dressing immodestly when she first begin her career). I don't agree with her assimilation I rarely listen music let alone her musics but you are wrong if you claim she abandon her original supporters.

Neslihan

with hardship comes ease
she is a ghetto rapper from rinkeby...trust me if she said she see herself as swedish she would lose respect in her circles. She is from the trashiest and most anti swedish area in sweden and whole persona is she is from the hood
For real? I'll be honest I know nothing about Sweden so I can't say anything to this. Why do you think she claim Sweden then? What do her circle think of her now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending